It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bill Maher gets OWNED by Guests for Supporting SOPA (Video)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Please Bill, say it ain't so!

First of all, the argument he poses is that people are stealing from HIM! Poor rich man. And then goes on to say that he hasn't even read the bill. How can you weigh in on something without knowing the facts Bill?

Very interesting point brought up is that 80% of the pirating is done from China. How they came across that number I don't know but next is the point that America wants to "Manage" the internet. I don't even need facts to know this point but how is this even acceptable to some? Oh I forgot, it's only the wealthy that are really behind this.

Then we get into user generated content from the daily caller. "If someone posts their own thoughts and it may infringe on someone else, it can be taken down, the site can be pulled BEFORE there is a chance to argue the point". So much for due process and innocent before being proven guilty.

Scary stuff folks.

Mr. Maher...You have just become a sellout in order to support your own interests and in my book...unacceptable.

edit on 22-1-2012 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 12:02 AM
link   
I seem to recall a wise man saying a few words about those who would give up liberty to gain security deserving neither one. It would apply here with Maher and his ilk.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
I seem to recall a wise man saying a few words about those who would give up liberty to gain security deserving neither one. It would apply here with Maher and his ilk.

Except in this case it seems that Bill would give up liberty before a dollar.

Pathetic.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Bill's always been a shill, sellout, unfunny, pathetic, political commentator.
For my 2 cents I can't stand the guy!

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Bill is entitled to his opinion. I'm still a huge fan.

That You Tube seemed to cut off and maybe we missed the whole discussion.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Goldcurrent

I'll toss in my 2 cents as well.
He's a typical MSM shill sellout, like O'Rilley

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Goldcurrent

At least you didn't sell out for your 2 cents.

Seems that Bill would sell out for a penny.

Peace

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 12:15 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Half Jew , Half Gentile , Full Hypocrate...........

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Great work distorting his viewpoint.

He never said he supported SOPA.

He said his movie has been pirated a lot and that he considers it stealing from him. So what? What is "anti-liberty" about that?

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by TsukiLunar
reply to post by jude11

Great work distorting his viewpoint.

He never said he supported SOPA.

He said his movie has been pirated a lot and that he considers it stealing from him. So what? What is "anti-liberty" about that?

First of all. the title of the video is exact.

Secondly if you watched it, you will see that he makes it a point of stating that he is against user borrowed content and that he loses money because of it.

That is the premise of SOPA.

Peace

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 12:56 AM
link   
Thomas Jefferson said it best about copyright laws in his time

"If nature has made any one thing less susceptible than all others of exclusive property, it is the action of the thinking power called an idea, which an individual may exclusively possess as long as he keeps it to himself; but the moment it is divulged, it forces itself into the possession of every one, and the receiver cannot dispossess himself of it. Its peculiar character, too, is that no one possesses the less, because every other possesses the whole of it. He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me."

Taper being a candle for those wondering.

Which can draw exact similarities to file sharing.

when I light my Taper(candle) off yours I am not stealing your flame.

same as when I download a file I am not stealing the file.

anyhow demonoid and kat.ph is where you can go to oppose SOPA and others and support free sharing of information.

Switzerland just made personal piracy 100% legal: torrentfreak.com...

"all downloads of copyright content for personal use is 100% legal" now in Switzerland. Finally a country that is more free and has higher average education than the United States.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 01:12 AM
link   
Bravo, thanks for posting that! I watched it twice. He rips on everyone so it was nice to see his atheist azz put in it's place!

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 01:14 AM
link   
I used to like him... but he's really just a contradiction. So much for supporting Ron Paul who is against SOPA...or supporting so he wanted you to believe...

Bill Maher On Internet Piracy: ‘I Call It Caucasian Looting’

Ps. He's a PETA board member.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 01:17 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

I find this whole thing funny.

I do not condone illegal downloading.

However I find that I don't feel too sorry for millionaires.

I do feel sorry for people losing jobs due to outsourcing and illegal immigration. They are not just losing some profit, they are losing their entire living.

But big corporations don't care about the people who helped them grow and become billion dollar companies.

Big corporations care only for profits.

Most of us get up every day and have to earn a living.

How many great ideas and systems were created by employees of large companies and then later these individuals are laid off for the sake of profit? Where is the compensation for "intellectual property" there?

Imagine typing a document or building some stairs or maintaining an elavator or cleaning an office and then getting paid for the rest of your life every time someone else uses it.

Wouldn't that be nice.

Instead we have to get up everyday and go to work.

Our fathers and mothers, you and I, support the machine. We helped it grow, by helping to build it and by buying its product.

If a friend of mine came over and sang me a song and then demanded I pay him for it, I'd laugh at him. I sure wouldn't put up with his drug and alcohol abuse. I certainly wouldn't put up with him beating Rihanna. I would tell him to take his song and shove it.

I just can't figure out why I continue to download songs and then pay for these peoples lifestyles..........

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 01:28 AM
link   
I remember the 70s when this piracy stuff first surfaced concerning taping music off the radio. My understanding of the term was to take someone else work and profit from it, how is downloading Bill's movie for example piracy if it's not being sold by the downloader? I asked that question rhetorically because it's not my intention to take away from the thread. Yes one can safely assume Bill is for SOPA going by his remarks and there's nothing wrong with him being supportive of it. I just think the average joe blow sitting in front of his computer is being blamed for a failing outdated industry that have been running amok for decades which it now can no longer feed at the trough. This is not about people copying movies (music) and selling it. Apparently there was this notion in the entertainment industry they would be able to continue the way they ran things in 1950s forever. They are discovering they screwed themselves by not planning ahead for their industry's survival, for example how they will continue growing their industry side by side with consumer technological advancements? Passing SOPA legislation won't save them their time has come and gone.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 01:59 AM
link   
I would never have paid to watch Religulis. But I did watch it because it was free. Didn't lose money from me, but gained an audience member. Works both ways Bill. And btw I'm glad I didn't waste my money on it.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 02:08 AM
link   
Meh...saw the show and he didn't exactly support it, clearly stated he wasn't all that aware of the bill and what it said, and basically just made and attempt to address the moral side of it as in he realized when he released his film that it was being pirated and cutting into his expected profits, finally saying that people just want free stuff.

As for his support of Ron Paul, he was pretty clueless last week after announcing his interest and/or support for Paul as a viable candidate when challenged about Paul's foreign policy among other things. Then it turned into a joke that he's only for him because of the marijuana deal.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 02:25 AM
link   
Maher nailed it on the head -
WE ALL WANT FREE #.

Another nail on the head was -
We have to approach this with a scalpel and not an axe.

top topics

join