It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange symbol in my painting...eeerrrieeeee...?!?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 11:27 PM
link   
I am just going to make this a short post to start.

My wife got me a paint set for Christmas and I started to paint a picture. One of the first things I painted was a mountain and a tree in the center of the picture. Then, I began to almost meditate on the canvas and slowly a picture emerged around this tree. It was almost like scrying in a water bowl. As I let images come to me on the canvas I painted them, with some very eerie results so far. This is the first painting I have done in 20 years, and I wanted to do something different, but this painting is creeping me out. I had an anxiety attack while painting it. I dream about painting it. It is strange.

Has anyone seen anything like this tree as a symbol somewhere?
I know it has meaning, I just don't know what.

Or maybe I am just crazy lol

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 11:31 PM
link   
It's a beautiful painting. I love the colors.
I think you did a really nice job on it.
I wouldn't let it me creep me out though.

I mean you have it perfect down to the lighting of it.
I think it's wonderful.
edit on 21-1-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

that's just the tree. I didn't include the rest of the painting yet. It is a work in progress.

Thank you for the compliment

edit on 21-1-2012 by Darkblade71 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 11:35 PM
link   
I would leave it alone. Looks wonderful like it is.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Darkblade71

The tree of life sittin dead in the Garden of Eden?

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 11:37 PM
link   
I don't see any symbols, I think you did pretty good, but I wouldn't let a painting stress you. Maybe take a break, and do something else?

Nice painting!

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by TerryMcGuire

Edit. And oh yeah, I wouldn't touch it either. It looks finished to me.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 11:40 PM
link   

If you look at different runes, you may find something similar, and possibly even, if you find a specific rune with a meaning you like you might change tree to BE more like a rune, to add symbolism and hidden meaning on purpose.

I'm adding symbolism and hidden coded messages into my own work all the time. Nobody gets it, or really sees it, but, it's an extra level of protection against anyone claiming my work as their own.

Nice work

As far as getting meditative and focused into the work, I can totally relate. Sometimes the work will create itself. It's the same thing with any creative process. The novel I've written and am trying to get published, I wound up shooting the narrator, almost killing him. Can't have a story without the narrator, but, when it happened, I didn't plan it, as if the story were writing itself.

Some meaning and symbolism you put into your work may be subconscious. I put codes and hidden meaning in my stuff on purpose. It's more fun that way.

edit on 21-1-2012 by nineix because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Nice...seems like your protruding colors on an even keel...if that's your first one,i would encourage you to keep the hobby.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 11:41 PM
link   

It reminded me immediately of the rune Fehu...

This rune is about fulfillment.

It could be other types of futhark, or ogham or something though. Your painting is very vibrant, strong work.

X.
edit on 21-1-2012 by Xoanon because: very nice.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by TerryMcGuire

When you look at the rest of the painting, that could apply in a strange way...
I should probably upload a complete picture.

Ok, here is what the entire painting looks like so far. (Be kind cause it IS different and needs to be cleaned up a lot yet, and like I said, unfinished) lol

I know that some of these are subconscious images for me only...but well...look so far...
edit on 22-1-2012 by Darkblade71 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 12:11 AM
link   
I destroyed my world...lol

But it was fun doing it

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 12:20 AM
link   
I'm scrolling through this thread about a painting of a tree being a symbol... to find out its actually a painting of a bleeding volcano!

The tree is a nearly universal symbol for life, and a volcano is a nearly universal symbol of death through birth. The tree is directly in its path.

of course, you knew that.
edit on 22-1-2012 by Aqualung2012 because: .

*Side note: that one tree is one standing beyond many others. maybe the further point of the painting is an observation on the masses as opposed to individual psyche.
edit on 22-1-2012 by Aqualung2012 because: sidenote

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 12:21 AM
link   
I was kind of thinking runes too, or something very ancient.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 12:23 AM
link   

After the thought...you singled your self out from the beauty around you..being the white stick with a few prick's here and there....do some more,i bet 10 shilling's that tree will leave.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Really good painting! Looks like a volcano erupting, then in the flames it almost resembles a cat like a leopard or a cheetah.

link   

well thats ........ interesting .....
i didnt expect the whole armaggedon background after seeing just the tree lol , great painting though , it looks cool.

Funny thing i noticed .......... the tree seems to line up with the long grass below it , they`re the same shape too , that might be what your picking up on. Other than that i cant see anything else that stands out , the whole painting is excellent , but probably not something you want to hang up in your living room

The painting looks pretty old to me though , it looks " aged " .
edit on 22-1-2012 by RockLobster because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by Aqualung2012

believe it or not, I didn't, at least on a conscious level.

Thats what has been bothering me about this painting, this was pulled totally from my subconscious.

I was not trying to symbolize anything, it came out on it's own. Which is fascinating me.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 12:37 AM
link   

The entire painting reminds me of Vinecnt van Gogh's "Wheatfield with Crows" I think it is the power and brushstrokes. I like your painting, keep it up. Just in case, don't put your ears near any sharp objects.

Your style is very like his.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 12:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by RockLobster

well thats ........ interesting .....
i didnt expect the whole armaggedon background after seeing just the tree lol , great painting though , it looks cool.

Funny thing i noticed .......... the tree seems to line up with the long grass below it , they`re the same shape too , that might be what your picking up on. Other than that i cant see anything else that stands out , the whole painting is excellent , but probably not something you want to hang up in your living room

The painting looks pretty old to me though , it looks " aged " .
edit on 22-1-2012 by RockLobster because: (no reason given)

Actually, it is something for the living room. I have a dim apartment, so while I am painting it, I am making sure certain things stand out in dim light. Almost like a blacklight effect. The picture doesn't do it justice for the most part. But the lightning swirls in the background in dim light giving it a 3d effect of some kind, it almost glows.

If it looks aged then I am doing a good job lol

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join