It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Good survival/bushcraft Documantaries.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 11:23 PM
link   
any one know of any i watched ray mears and bear grylls but that about it
edit on 21-1-2012 by definity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 11:33 PM
link   
They all just did a special the other day on a channel....they forgot that flavorful dogs tongue and of course the witches tea.....

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 11:38 PM
link   
In this link, you can watch the two you mentioned, and some more 24/7. live stream high quality.

Look under entertainment, and you will find several survival channels.

Also you can watch Ancient Aliens whole seasons, UFO docs, anything mysterius or conspiracy docs, 24/7 live stream.

Enjoy!

en.justin.tv...
edit on 21-1-2012 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-1-2012 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Well one thing for sure is i definitely would not take bear gryll's advice hes a known fake and look what happened this this guy over at [link] www.abovetopsecret.com... [/link]. So try to steer away from him. The number 1 guy who i learn from in documentaries is "Survivorman" who is Les Stroud. He has a tv show up here in Canada and has a home off the grid with his wife and kids, he is the real deal. Youtube has a lot of his videos up just do a search.
edit on 21-1-2012 by descendedstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by descendedstar

I'll buy that for a dollar.>from ontario

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 12:11 AM
link   
reply to post by saroncan

lol.. am i missing something

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 12:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Mianeye

I agree with you. that website is awesome...I'm not posing a link just b/c I'm not sure if its against T&C's or not...since some of the channels..well most all...include copyrighted content. But still, IMHO, its for "Educational use" so should be fair use

BTW, what about Dual Survival? I'm not sure if theres full episodes available, but there are some excerps on the discover channel website.

Also, I don't know if its still available, but there was a torrent available from the usual sources that included all the episodes of survivorman, dual survival, and man vs. wild in it.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 12:59 AM
link   
Depends on what you are looking for.

Bear Grylls is more of an -escape and evade- survivalist. Les Stroud is a "survive until rescue" survivalist. Some are purely primitive camp survivalists.

The BEST documentaries on survival that I have ever seen are Richard Proenneke's. PBS in the US plays them regularly. Everything Proenneke does seems like magic in this day and age. He was certainly a maser of a lost art. We are lucky to have his documentaries around to study. I guarantee you will be impressed by them: survival enthusiast or not.

Documentaries-
Alone in the Wilderness
Alaska Silence & Solitude
The Frozen North
One Man's Wilderness, An Alaskan Odyssey
Alaska off the Beaten Path
Ghost of the Forest
Arctic Dance

In the spring of 1968, Richard Proenneke, 51 set off into the Alaskan wilderness to enjoy his retirement living in a backcountry cabin he crafted by hand. Over the next 35 years he lived here in solitude. Proenneke was a wonderful journalist and recorded most of his life at Twin Lakes in film, photography, and written record.

www.dickproenneke.com...

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 01:39 AM
link   
reply to post by definity

Figured I'd pop a reply in here just because of my experience in the wilderness, which is probably a good thing when it comes to judging a supposed survival show on television! You should probably watch Les Stroud as others have said. His show is probably the most boring one, but in turn is also one of the many reasons why It's the most realistic. Surviving isn't "exciting" as some shows would have you believe *COUGH* Bear *COUGH* But seriously, stay away from that Bear guy. I'm sure he has a good amount of knowledge, but his show is a joke and isn't realistic. Dual Survival is a great show and my personal favorite. Dave and Cody are a great team to learn from, especially if you don't know much. Although Cody is quite limited in his approach. Also, "Man Woman Wild" is a pretty good show too. With that said, survivor man is the most realistic one to watch.
On a final note, I'd like to add that when it comes to surviving, common sense goes a LONG way. And if you want to watch a really cool documentary, check out "Alone in the wilderness" (I think that is the name?). It's about a guy who moved into the wild until he grew old, and it documents his incredible story of building everything he got from scratch.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by METACOMET
Depends on what you are looking for.

Bear Grylls is more of an -escape and evade- survivalist. Les Stroud is a "survive until rescue" survivalist. Some are purely primitive camp survivalists.

The BEST documentaries on survival that I have ever seen are Richard Proenneke's. PBS in the US plays them regularly. Everything Proenneke does seems like magic in this day and age. He was certainly a maser of a lost art. We are lucky to have his documentaries around to study. I guarantee you will be impressed by them: survival enthusiast or not.

Documentaries-
Alone in the Wilderness
Alaska Silence & Solitude
The Frozen North
One Man's Wilderness, An Alaskan Odyssey
Alaska off the Beaten Path
Ghost of the Forest
Arctic Dance

In the spring of 1968, Richard Proenneke, 51 set off into the Alaskan wilderness to enjoy his retirement living in a backcountry cabin he crafted by hand. Over the next 35 years he lived here in solitude. Proenneke was a wonderful journalist and recorded most of his life at Twin Lakes in film, photography, and written record.

www.dickproenneke.com...

You ptu the video i was thinking of up, alone in the wilderness is one of the best documenteries regarding wilderness survival ever made.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Documentaries on bushcraft are great to get a broad or general idea of the subject, but for me, I find that hands on, with this subject matter, makes it easier to learn.
If you dont mind, I will add a few non-documentary links.

Larry D. Olsen is , in my opinion, is one of the greatest modern day bushcrafters. He has inspired many to this craft, if you get a chance, look at his book, "Outdoor Suvival Skills", alot of good knowledge.
About Larry Olsen

Larry has inspired many, for example, Mike Lummio founder and head instructor at Bushcraft Northwest.
Mike has some good videos on basic/common sense skills at his website. Many great articles also.

Mikes Video and Article @ His Website

Mikes Videos @ YouTube

There are numerous website with hands on articles. For example:

BushCraft Living Articles

Just doing these basic skills, hands on, will increase the confidence factor, so when a survival situation occurs, one just does what needs to be done. For me, 80% of bushcrafting is doing it, learning from my mistakes and finding the easiest and most efficient way. Just making a fire in the wilderness can be quite daunting if you have never done it before. Practice makes perfect.

I hope this informaion is helpful for you, currently and in your continuing search.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Not sure if this is what you are looking for or not, but you could try BushcraftOnFire's channel on YouTube. You can also listen to Dave Wendell (of BushcraftOnFire) and some ATS survivalist mods and members every Thursday evening at 8PM eastern time. I've learned quite a few things from both the BushcraftOnFire channel and just listening to Asktheanimals, Semperfortis and the others on the Thursday show.

Bushcraft On Fire YouTube Channel
edit on 22-1-2012 by MyMindIsMyOwn because: brainfart on spelling

top topics

join