It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hallucinations

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Just reading the "Is the wind alive" thread and thought about people who feel a cold chill down their back or a feeling of a drop in room temperature after losing a loved one.

Hallucination def: a sensory experience of something that does not exist outside the mind, caused by various physical and mental disorders, or by reaction to certain toxic substances, and usually manifested as visual or auditory images.

Origin:
1595–1605; < Latin hallūcinātus, past participle of ( h ) allūcināri to wander in mind; see -ate1

It is observed tha wander also means astray.

Astray: Away from the right or good, as in thought or behavior; straying to or into wrong or evil ways

"A Common Hallucination
Mourning seems to be a time when hallucinations are particularly common, to the point where feeling the presence of the deceased is the norm rather than the exception. One study, by the researcher Agneta Grimby at the University of Goteborg, found that over 80 percent of elderly people experience hallucinations associated with their dead partner one month after bereavement, as if their perception had yet to catch up with the knowledge of their beloved’s passing. As a marker of how vivid such visions can seem, almost a third of the people reported that they spoke in response to their experiences. In other words, these weren’t just peripheral illusions: they could evoke the very essence of the deceased.

Occasionally, these hallucinations are heart-rending. A 2002 case report by German researchers described how a middle aged woman, grieving her daughter’s death from a heroin overdose, regularly saw the young girl and sometimes heard her say “Mamma, Mamma!” and “It’s so cold.” Thankfully, these distressing experiences tend to be rare, and most people who experience hallucinations during bereavement find them comforting, as if they were re-connecting with something of the positive from the person’s life. Perhaps this reconnecting is reflected in the fact that the intensity of grief has been found to predict the number of pleasant hallucinations, as has the happiness of the marriage to the person who passed away."
www.scientificamerican.com...

Doctors don`t know much about where hallucinations come from although some evidence is coming through i.e. auditory hallucinations in schizophrenia and changes in nerve structure in the hearing part of the brain.

Many auditory hallucinations are self-derogatory or suggest that the person should hurt others rather than pleasant messages i.e. do a good turn for your neighbour.

I wonder if hallucinations represent connectivity with the "other side" whatever that is? Why are auditory hallucinations usually sad or hateful?

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Sad or hateful because negative experiences are the ones that seem to affect us the most. PTSD is one good example of negative experiences causing havoc on ones self.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Speaking as somebody who has had paranormal experiences AND hallucinations due to high fevers before, you can tell a huge difference.

If you actually know people with mental illnesses, if you've ever actually seen that crap, you know the difference between the real deal in terms of somebody who's had a paranormal experience and some poor schizo that needs serious help.

But, of course, there are some people who would simply commit themselves if they had any genuine experience.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by dr treg

You can have hallucinations through hypnosis, strictly using only one sense, auditory, visual, smell and taste or mixed.
edit on 21-1-2012 by Panic2k11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by dr treg

Not going to lie, I love hallucinating! It fascinates every fiber of my body that my brain can just create fictional events that I can experience and remember as if they really happened. The power of the mind is awesome!

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by dr treg

From what I have read out of the teachings of Eckhart Tolle... most, if not all, of us are "crazy" to some extent. Tolle refers to the human race and Earth as the insane asylum of the Universe, and that most people who are deemed "crazy" by us just have a more extreme form of the same delusional, self-destructive, negative, obsessive, looping thought patterns that most of us experience.

He also states that everyone is, to some extent, schizophrenic. We talk to ourselves in our head. Who is talking? Who is listening? This would imply that there is a "talker" and a "listener" (i.e two individuals).

Eckhart Tolle claims that this voice that talks and listens to itself is the "ego". Egotistical should not be confused with confidence in this sense.

The ego (or mind) does no exist as an object and so needs some means of reinforcing its existence, as though its goal were to survive. You (it) create a false sense of identification: "I am this, I am that, I am man, I am human, etc." but ultimately these are just words.

It uses emotions too, to empower itself. What are the most easiest available and powerful emotions? Negative ones. It uses fear, anxiety, anger, pain, all this to empower itself.

So, with this theoretical knowledge, let's look at a schizophrenic (societally deemed) person and apply it:

Their ego has empowered itself so sufficiently that it is now viewed as a completely separate entity. They now believe that there is them and someone or thing else that is telling them things (hallucinations), indefinitely. The tricky thing is, even though there is them (A) and the voice (B) they (A) hear, the ego is still both A and B.

Any way, its lust for power wouldn't end. So, it would of course continue pumping them with these negative thought patterns that they thought was actually them. It would so "Go hurt your friend." so they might do that. Then it would say "You should feel terrible for hurting your friend." in which they would feel more negative emotions, which are powerful.

Let's not limit these scenarios to just the insane. A "normal" person's ego might say "Come on, you know you want that piece of cake. It's going to be so delicious. You can put your diet aside for right now." (Change that sentence to first person, if need be. It'll still supply the same meaning). then later in the day you think to yourself (while listening to yourself) "I can't believe I broke my diet and ate that cake. I am a failure. I am fat. I am going to get fatter." That is a very "normal" thought pattern, in relevancy to today's society.

So, in conclusion, the ego would most likely not supply you with positive emotions and hallucinations, be them visual or audible, as it would not help reinforce itself.

Of course, this is all just theoretical speculation but you can take from it what you want. =)

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 02:22 AM
link   
reply to post by dr treg

On the verge of going to sleep I will some times hear a voice or a sound that brings me back to awareness.

But then again I am able most the time to have visions at almost anytime I want, and just sort of walk into a dream.

I remember another time I was out in the astral and upon returning to my body I was not able to reenter it, I started to get a little frantic, then I heard a woman's voice say my name "googolplex" and I was back in my body. If I had bothered to look I would of realized I had some how rolled over on my side, during the night I knew this when I was back in my body.

Another time I was in bed and I noticed a hoof sticking out from under my bed, well I said oh crap and began to pull on the hoof it was my old friend the Devil. As I pulled I was boggled with all my fears hitting me in my mind, as I then pulled even harder I realized then I had nothing to fear. It was tough for a second there.

I am now troubled with fear again, fear of being alone, fear of not being around when other need me, not being able to save everyone else from their own fears, not sure that it matters in the big picture. I believe in the end all are saved.

I seem lost, a bit now myself as I not able to see thru the veil, try as I might, I am given only tiny glimpses.

I have a brother the other day he had blood poisoning, he said the aliens had come, I saw him at the hospital, he thought he was in a space ship for about 4 more days. I didn't know what to do so I astral projected to the hospital and talked to him for a long time, I was happy and surprised when the next day he had his brain back. I don't know if I helped him if I did it wasn't enough because they still cut off his foot 2 weeks later.

This is a good one a week before my friend died, he wasn't sick. But he told me, he didn't think he had much longer, but he said "googolplex" I want to tell you one thing I don't want anyone crying at my funeral, I said oh, Ok. He died a week later, I was at the funeral "crying" talking to his father, I said as I was "crying" he told me something but I can't remember what it was. That just cracks me up.

I don't have voice tell me to do bad things, But it would bother me when machine's start talking to me. I was mowing the lawn on 9/10 a voice was telling me all the all the bad things it was going to do, but I just let him talk. It was a guy that had something to do with I think cattle in Texas or OK,

Then when I was away for awhile (lockedup) these things, would talk to me all the time, but they would say don't tell anyone. But yea I was in real prison when I got close to the bars of the main lock up, I could hear all kinds of moans and groans. I don't know if it's true, but is said you are on differ t wave length in prison if you know what I mean.
So I was listening to the radio and there is a bunch of psychics on the radio, so I was laughing and I say, to myself, if yous are psychic's for real say my name on the radio, well they start goiing "googolplex, googolplex, googolplex and so on. So this other guy walks in the room my bunkie, he says what the heck are you listening too, I was freaked out because these dudes were chanting my name. Like they really read my mind.

But anyhow I don't know I'll let you know when I figure it out.

edit on 22-1-2012 by googolplex because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join