It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hatred for America. Not me.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 07:30 PM
link   
As a Canadian that's lived just above the 49th Parallel for most of his life, I've gotten to know America. Let's start off with separating America from Americans. One is a country, one is a people. The people? Been there many times. They are the most generous and friendly people. That was my experience in the states of Maine, NY, Wash., and Oregon. Cali and Migh were a different experience but my experience in those 2 states were just LA and Detroit. GREAT people. But that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about America.

I know this being a conspiracy website there is a focus on the bad things. Like the American government. Their foreign policy. That's a given and I won't even try to defend that. I think it's crap too. What I AM talking about is some of what America means to me.

#1 the NFL in general and the Superbowl in particular. Superbowl Sunday is MY day.

What about the Whopper? Now there's a burger.

TV. True Blood. Star Trek. All in the Family. I could go on.

Music? Too many bands to mention... but I will.
Aerosmith foremost imo.

And if you have seen Now I Pronounce You Chuck and Larry, Jessica Biel. Man, nice butt.

Again, as a Canuck, I apologize for Celine Dion and Pam Anderson.

I'll probably think of more. Keep this clean people. Please.

ETA: How could I forget the '69 Charger?
edit on 21-1-2012 by intrepid because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   

#1 the NFL in general and the Superbowl in particular. Superbowl Sunday is MY day.

What about the Whopper? Now there's a burger.

TV. True Blood. Star Trek. All in the Family. I could go on.

Music? Too many bands to mention... but I will. Aerosmith foremost imo.

And if you have seen Now I Pronounce You Chuck and Larry, Jessica Biel. Man, nice butt.

Again, as a Canuck, I apologize for Celine Dion and Pam Anderson.

I'll probably think of more. Keep this clean people. Please.

I have lived here in "America" all my life, and always wanted to see other areas, especially Canada, I hear the people there are awesome, and the a-boot thing, I have to see if that's for real.

Not into sports, but it is really taken seriously here.

Forget the Whopper, I choose Hardee's and a pizza slice from the Bronx is to die for.

Music, I mostly choose the 60's, 70's, and 80's.
Prince, Billy Joel, and anything Motown.

T.V. dont watch much and dont have cable, but 30 Rock, and Big Bang, also Always Sunny in Philadelphia are awesome!

I guess if I had to apologize for some of our American famous, just watch TMZ

Peace, NRE. S&F

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   
I like to get in my kayak when it's cold, and get out on a small stream or river. The blue herons and eagles fly up and down the river. The peace and solitude of that cannot be duplicated in any video game. Yes op, there are many things still good in America, that's why we have to fight to make sure they do not disappear. Others, please continue with what America means to you.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Wanted to say thanks for the kind words. My family and I have had some unbelievably horrific experiences with the US government that continue unabated to this day. For this reason, I have struggled mightily with the difference between the country, the people, the government as it's own entity, and the individuals that make up the government as a whole.

Sometime the trees and the forest get confusing.

Because of our travails, I have been forced to become involved in politics and other activist entities (legal, of course) I would otherwise prefer to avoid, but cannot afford to.

Please allow me to say this: there are many, many people and things in this world that can and will disappoint anyone and everyone. When this becomes unbearable, the answer is to find the most moral, ethical, and yes, legal, means of working towards the result you need. There are good folks even in the most human rights offending agencies of US government. Sometimes it is very difficult to find them, and often even harder to locate the ones with authority to help, but they are there.

So, although I sometimes wish I lived in some far away place, I would like to believe in myself enough to be able to make the distinction you have and appreciate that the people and the government are not the same.

From the greatest country on earth, Texas (who will eventually take over and rule the rest of the US), thank you again for the kind words.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   

your america sucks
you honestly think those things are what sells america? haha
what a joke

go anywhere in the world and theres always one american ruining it for everyone else

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by stopmakingsense

I believe every country has people like that mate.. Every country has there ups and downs.

Maybe you notice America more because the big corporations are pretty much the government. The real US government are pretty much on their knee's shining corporate shoes.

From my view America is a great place. It has just lost a lot of freedom because of these greedy corporates. They are the reason America may not appear to be a great place. Even though from my view - It is.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 09:53 PM
link   
OK, OP, I have been thinking about this for about two hours....and yes, I need to respond.

Your statement...
"Let's start off with separating America from Americans. One is a country, one is a people. "
??
If you are from Canada, do you not consider yourself American?

Seriously, I just dont understand. North America consists of Canada, US, and Mexico.

On another thread someone mentioned the murder rate in America ....note, if you exclude Honduras, Guatemala, Mexico, and Panama from the Per capita murder rate.....that rate will drop considerably.
(yes, I know....its due to the US stance on illegal drugs).....but still it is all murder in America.

As a US citizen, I feel its a bit egotistical for me to consider the USA simply as "America".

When did the US gain this monopoly on the term America?

Since you are from North America, can you explain to me why you seem to view just the US as being America?

Really, I'm not trying to be sarcastic/ demeaning, any of that. I just do not understand how 1/3 of North America can seem to claim the title "America".

Do those in Central America and South America feel the same way?

We are ONE country, not the entire continent/continents.
edit on 21-1-2012 by vogon42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by vogon42

I guess you missed the point of this thread. It wasn't to argue, it was meant to look at things in a more positive way. Too much hate out there lately without any thought.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
reply to post by vogon42

I guess you missed the point of this thread. It wasn't to argue, it was meant to look at things in a more positive way. Too much hate out there lately without any thought.

OK, I must have missed the point, just trying to gain an understanding here.

I realize the point was not to argue.
I understand it was to show a positive light.
I know there is too much hate out there.

I just do not understand how it is that my country (USA) seems to speak for ALL of America.
Since you are in Canada, and Canada is part of the continent of North America, do you consider your self an American.....or rather, why not?

In a earlier thread, someone made the comment about the murder rate in America.....but if you exclude Honduras, Guatemala, Mexico, and Panama from that.....the per capita murder rate will drop considerably.
(yes, I realize much of that is drug related, and due to the US stance on illegal drugs....completely different topic)

I'm just trying to gain a view point......
Do you think America means this one country?
OR
Do you think the USA speaks for North America, Central America, and South America?

I'm really confused by the (possibly incorrect) global attitude of country vs. continent/continents.
Do those people out there understand?

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by vogon42

I'm just trying to gain a view point...... Do you think America means this one country? OR Do you think the USA speaks for North America, Central America, and South America?

I'm really confused by the (possibly incorrect) global attitude of country vs. continent/continents. Do those people out there understand?

Canadians generally think of themselves as Canadians first, and secondly as North Americans.
I don't think Canadians think the the USA speaks for anyone but the USA. Our two countries are similar culturally in many ways, but they're also very different from one another.

I think around the world it's understood that Americans come from the USA and Canadians and Mexicans are not included in that.
Maybe it's patriotic pride? Canadians want to be Canadian.
Not sure how the Mexicans feel on that issue, they keep going across your border, trying to be American it seems.
Canadians don't have that same issue.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

Thanks for the response.

It clears things up a bit....and also (sadly) makes me feel like perhaps my country is a bit egotistical.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by vogon42
reply to post by snowspirit

Thanks for the response.

It clears things up a bit....and also (sadly) makes me feel like perhaps my country is a bit egotistical.

When we hear your politicians talking about Obama ( or whichever president) being the "leader of the free world", we just roll our eyes and do our best to ignore it.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 11:40 PM
link   
reply to post by NoRegretsEver

I have lived here in "America" all my life, and always wanted to see other areas, especially Canada, I hear the people there are awesome, and the a-boot thing, I have to see if that's for real.

That a-boot thing, would be in Newfoundland. I don't know if the accent is stronger in certain areas.

I haven't been that far east yet, but when they've migrated to the west, some of them are awfully hard to understand. The accent is very distinct, and strong. And they're heavy partiers, the ones that I've met, which makes it progressively harder to understand them as the night goes on...

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Intrepid, its OK you're from Canada. I would usually make fun of Canadians, but since you're talking up some good things about the US,I'll abstain from making fun of you....cause guys did give us Rush. So it's all good then!

Ox

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   

As an American living in Australia, I have to say Australia is one of the most openly racist places I've ever been.
If I get called a "Yankee *&@!" here one more time.. This former Marine is probably going to snap. Now I'm not saying that everyone has a hatred for us here but I'd say I get a 50/50 reaction. I get the "Oh where from?" or the "Oh well F____ you".. And it's no point arguing with them because they ones that do hate us are all simple minded retards that have ZERO idea that the USA saved Australia countless times in the world wars, Kraft (an American company) produces their "Australian made Vegemite" (barf).. It's just terrible. I'm wondering where the contempt comes from.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 05:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Ox

Calling Australians retards is a bit racist too...

The fact that ''Kraft'' produces their ''vegemite'' is nothing they can do to help.
These American corporations are the ones to blame for ruining the economy.
They get too involved in governmental affairs.

Even so - American citizens aren't to blame, nor are Australians for having there bread spread made in America.

And okay you have saved them in countless world wars..

Who is in Afghanistan right now because the USA wanted more cannon fudder to support them?
answer: Australia

I'm not saying Australians are okay to abuse you but it seems to me like you are fighting fire with fire.

And just a reminder this thread is about America.. Not Australia.

new topics

top topics

join