It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anonymous Releases Global Cyber War I [Video]

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Here is the latest response from Anonymous. I recently coined this Cyber World War II on
this post...
...within the thread titled:
Anonymous takes down Department of Justice, RIAA, Motion Picture Association and Universal Music

I more think that the Napster issue years ago and it being shut down was technically the first war, perhaps as another poster pointed out with this post, it indeed may have never really ended.

One thing that I did find interesting was a comment I read recently in response to the Anonymous attacks (can't recall the source off-hand), but the poster of the comment said they didn't understand why Anonymous would attack the specific sites they did, the way they did (DDoS attacks). He likened it to a bunch of kids going out and defacing McDonald's billboards because they didn't like McDonald's. I don't agree with SOPA, but I do somewhat agree with the analogy this commenter used.

Nonetheless, apparently something worked, against SOPA and PIPA at least, because they have been postponed indefinitely last I read. It will be interesting to see how this plays out in the future. In the video they declare Cyber Space a "sovereign nation", which is an interesting way to look at it. I am just not sure how they decided they are the defense force of that nation if that's the case. Either way, I am glad there is someone willing to stand up for the rights of free speech, as long as it's done without bloodshed or physical harm and it is accomplishing something I'm all for it.

Without further ado here is the article and video.

Anonymous have just released a new video indicating what they are fighting for and why. You may have noticed that there has been a massive amount of Anonymous activity recently, especially after the recent news regarding the shutting down of Megaupload and subsequent arrests of 7 of the top people from the company including it’s owner Kim Dotcom. People are angry, and rightfully so as the shutting down of Megaupload came just hours after the internet celebrated stopping the censorship law, SOPA from being passed by congress as law in the biggest protest in internet history.

This follows Anonymous’s largest ever attack on those who would see to see the internet censored by greedy corporations.

Source Article

(Video Description: The group Anonymous responds to the SOPA issue and seemingly to the abrupt shutting down of sites such as MegaUpload. A written transcript of the audio from the video is available via the Source Link)
edit on 1/21/2012 by UberL33t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Wow. Epic. All i have to say is anonymous is definitely my favorite group of all time. They stand for freedom. Thank you for the video it gave me goose bumps all over.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Does Anon know anything other than ddos attacks?

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fitch303

lol. Thats a good question. Maybe not. Could be a 14 year old german ddos attacking everyone

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Fitch303

I have read stories of where they do some actual hacking, via posting private information of employees & such. Perhaps it's similar to a show of force and they're maintaining their big guns until absolutely necessary.

I wouldn't think that they would have started a war they weren't confident they could compete in and win for that matter. I could be wrong however...

ETA: Some will argue I'm sure that it was the other side that started it and they are merely retaliating...

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   
nvm
edit on 21-1-2012 by flexy123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by flexy123

Kimble/Megaupload basically did the same thing.

I disagree, although him profiting from it is a debatable subject. MegaUpload only provided a treasure chest, it was the people who signed up for an account and activated their treasure chest and stored/shared copyrighted material that are the pirates.

Kim is merely a treasure chest maker, the more prettier and deeper chests cost money, that's what he profited from. I for one think it was quite a lucrative achievement on his part.

ETA: Ha! you "nvm"ded your post, therein this post may appear a bit random.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   
They escalated this retarded farce of a "war", and then started conscripting unwitting civilians. Which is bad enough, but the very activities they are willing to implicate innocent Netizens in are going to lead to some nasty legislation getting ramrodded through.

Under that legislation, those who clicked the wrong link and ended up in the drone army or even on the wrong mailing list may be held legally culpable.

Have mercy.
edit on 21-1-2012 by Eidolon23 because: May.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Perhaps you care to teach them something other than ddos or perhaps you feel everyone is ready for a different approach, myself i feel the public is still at infant stage and cannot begin to grasp at what is really at hand. M.U. is not the issue, its an entity that is being given life and is multiplying beyond the ability of a physical world, its is truly a threatening entity that has be been born and those who are aware of it are terrified beyond belief at the level of intrusion within secure networks.

What is comforting is that over 50/70% of global computers are all running identical antivirus/firewall protection algorithms. This is what they should have expected.

Oh well im off to find some Leroy Jenkins, and yes, at least i have chicken

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Anonymous are the children and the cannon fodder for the Authorities to amuse themselves with and take apart, one kid at a time. It's the hackers within the overall community who DO NOT wave banners like it's a parade about their actions and their intent that I listen for. The rumblings are faint...but they're real enough and they weren't there until this whole SOPA garbage began.

When the real A-Team of the hacker/cracker community decide the cause is worth prison or worse..and I think that time has almost come if it hasn't recently crossed that line, then the fireworks really kick off. It should be interesting to see what it looks like when the people who INVENTED some of the infrastructure and systems we use decide freedom is worth fighting for and things HAVE gone too far.

When those guys...you know, the ones who cut their teeth on Trash 80's and Apple Lisa's...when they join the fight, then the war is truly started.
I have my popcorn and beer ready for the show I'm confident will come before much longer.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   
I hope this gets ugly. At the very least this will draw attention and unify the people of the internet. The gov't needs to know they cannot infringe upon this! What would be next if the internet was successfully censored? I'd hate to see it.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Eidolon23
They escalated this retarded farce of a "war", and then started conscripting unwitting civilians. Which is bad enough, except the very activities they are willing to implicate innocent Netizens in are going to lead to some very nasty legislation getting ramrodded through.

Under that legislation, those who clicked the wrong link and ended up in the drone army or even on the wrong mailing list may be held legally culpable.

Have mercy.
edit on 21-1-2012 by Eidolon23 because: May.

Who ever said that doing what was intended was going to be managed with a silk glove, who ever said going to war was not going to be bloody. This is how it is, conscription is a due process, the only difference is, in the cyber world some are aware and some are not but if the interest is there, then they more or less have signed the dotted line. All those bot nets over the past decade that are running and others that have been caught and dismantlement, did you think they were done from some bored script kiddies, do you still believe that this theory of the cyber war was a conception born out of boredom from a basement by a kid playing wow. ? Everyone has their place and every pc either remote or not has its function. Oops, lets press function key number ...umm..., seven, lets see what happens.....

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by cerebralassassins

Point taken. Everyone is a potential Effector.

But if Uncle Sam came upon you in your bed, knocked you out, and shipped you off to the Sand, I think you'd be a little less quick to condone involuntary conscription. I believe the principle applies here, and is amplified by the added groin-shot of a possible prison sentence just for being a noob.

Yes?

edit on 21-1-2012 by Eidolon23 because:

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Point taken. Everyone is a potential Effector.

But if Uncle Sam came upon you in your bed, knocked you out, and shipped you off to the Sand, I think you'd be a little less quick to condone involuntary conscription. Yes?

collateral damage

Excuse the two word online response, i was in a rush to press function key 7.
, but back to topic, it has no bearing what i think, as my two worded one line is exactly what at the end of the day its all about.
edit on 21-1-2012 by cerebralassassins because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 06:49 PM
link   

I know it stands to reason that the New War is as amoral and backbrained as the Old War, but.

Collateral damage? Really?

It doesn't have to be this way. We could have an Open Source renaissance instead of the 5GW flustercuck we're locking ourselves into. Take those noobs, and school them so they don't get played. Better alternative to collateral damage any day.
edit on 21-1-2012 by Eidolon23 because: Shmedit.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Anon has many chambers and do all sorts of stuff. Its just that the Ddos attacks are what get the media attention.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Anyone worth a bit of salt on the 2600 Hax0r 1337 script kid whatever front that's involved in this in lending support to Anonymous will be covering their tracks.
It's not a difficult thing to simply set up shop at -insert name of any free coffee shop wifi here-.
On top of that, there's layers of obfuscation in routing through VPNS, proxies, and remote operation of sacrificial burner boxes. Bot nets are a terror too.
Finding the smarter, more careful and more knowing people with a concern will likely be difficult, unless they get sloppy and stupid in boasting about activities.

Then again, on every side of the fence, no matter the sophistication of the security software and hardware of any information system, the weakest most vulnerable and easiest part of any network to hack, is usually the people using the system.

No matter the firewalls and measures in place, you get someone on the inside of the turtle shell, and you can say pwnd.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   
I'm still trying to get my head around this.

arrests of 7 of the top people from the company including it’s owner Kim Dotcom

is that for real his name?

SOPA and TPTB wont be happy until they have complete control of the internet, it will be like watching FoX news.
In ten years time we will all be talking about the good old days.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 07:05 PM
link   

I know it stands to reason that the New War is as amoral and backbrained as the Old War, but.

Collateral damage? Really?

I read posts within ats applauding and others outright sceptical as to the motives behind this new era. What is troubling is that not many here within ats are going to the trouble or should i say actually asking themselves and analyzing the due process that begun all this a full decade ago. When not so long ago and till today the mere mention of the work ha*king and/or cra*king is considered as something hostile at best and at worst as if one is infected with some fatal disease and yet several months later the very core of what ppl are referring to anon and his methods are exactly what was being condoned several months ago. So you see, everything is simply going according to plan, its just that people who have adapted or should i say willingly accepted the net as a new world have an attention span no longer than 12 months that is unless google has it cached, otherwise its lost within their cerebral labyrinth.
Oh the net is morphing itself and it has been morphing itself into a disaster, its the terminals on a limited scale that have been activated and have caused mayhem through major networks and this i assume isn't 1/100.000th of the scale that is at hand. When you see/hear CD in and openly holding new press feeds, that is when the admission but directed to a selective group that the firms will be halting further action and a calm breeze will once again flow through cyber packets. Given that they still feel that money can solve this problem by hiring whites and asking for gov institutions they still cannot comprehend that they are simply looking into the mirror.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 08:23 PM
link   

If the New War is waged on the battlefield of public opinion, I think you'll agree that this kind of kiddie garbage does not play well to the majority. Virtual states that look upon citizens as collateral damage in their noble war: those guys get a lot of bad press.

I would've thought a group so image obsessed might have noticed. I dunno, maybe they think getting slapped with the "T"-word is good PR.

edit on 21-1-2012 by Eidolon23 because:

new topics

top topics

join