It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Discussion: Why Sun Worship? Your Understanding or Theory?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Why?

Because is big and shiny and humans love big and shiny things.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by sk0rpi0n
My guess is that ancient cultures were fascinated by this bright fiery orb that cyclically appear and disappear, with zero understanding of how it helped life on earth flourish.
A cruder way of putting it is that they probably did not like the nights darkness and cold too much and grew fond of the sun, which kept things bright and warm.

All the mythology around the sun probably came much later.

Hi there sk0rpi0n.
This is a logical beginning to Sun Worship. But if it was this simple, why the continuation of Sun worship up until today? I wonder...

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Sahabi

I'll tell you what I think. Let us look at reality here for a second. Where would Earth, and all of it's inhabitants be is not for the Sun? Is there any other object, thing, or anything else more DESERVING of human worship? If so, please name it! Human beings have been worshipping the Sun for as long as recorded history, and even before that, and....they sill do, they just changed the spelling a bit, from "Sun," to "Son." Still the same, comes up every morning, keeps us warm, provides us with needed rays to grow food.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   
The Sun gives us Life.
without the sun there would be no life on earth.
each morning the sun raises and pagans greet the sun.
it brings the light and warmth.
have you ever watch a sun rice? it is beautiful.

the sun set to is beautiful. with promise of a return.
pagans thank the sun for the gift it has given them.
the misty and magic of the way the sun raises
and set in a different place as time goes on.
the summer and winter solstices are am important times.
as the sun reaches a peak or low point.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Sahabi

You mean the fact that it gives life, warmth, creates the seasons and makes the plants grow,isn't enough???

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Sahabi

Because science has proven that there are a thousands more stars bigger, brighter and powerful than the sun. The ancients believed the Sun was a god. A being that brought light. Now we know that the Sun is a fiery ball of gas. Not as impressive as a god.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical
The Sun isn't special, worship the one who made the star.

And WHO exactly "made the star" that we are discussing here? Did you personally SPEAK to the one who "made" this star? For all we know, that star could actually BE what we call "god".

Because in all honesty, we humans have NO CLUE WHATSOEVER about any "gods" or "creators" or anything that may be out there that is higher in power than we are.

Lets be BRUTALLY HONEST with ourselves here, yes? We do NOT know!!!!

The only thing people have to go by are pure ASSUMPTIONS that are written in silly fairy-tale books written by MAN, edited by MAN, and inspired by MAN, and peddled by MAN. I dont believe these MEN, and certainly do not believe in fairy-tales especially when they breed HATE and discrimination and sexism, and violence, and animal and child sacrifice, and murder, with the main character being a MASS MURDERER killing more humans than ANY madman EVER to walk the planet.

The sun exists and is ESSENTIAL to humans and all living things. And most importantly, I can SEE IT and do not need to rely on corrupted MAN or silly recycled fairy-tales and myths to convince me of its existence.

And a little secret from a long-time, SERIOUSLY-DEVOTED ex-Christian here -- the christian religion as well as others, are simply a personification of the heavenly bodies above us in the heavens/sky above. THAT is the truth. Religion is a COPY of Sun-worship. In fact, the name of the bible really translates to "SUN BOOK"....

Holy Bible = Helios Biblos in Greek, Helios = Sun, Biblos = Papers in Egyptian = Sun Book.

Religion is a COPY of Sun-worship, PERIOD!!!!!!

edit on 29-1-2012 by HangTheTraitors because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by HangTheTraitors

Sorry, but you can 'honestly' only speak for yourself, and yourself only. Next, I'm not responding to the rest of your rant other than to say your Greek is very poor. Holy is άγιος in the Greek.

adj. blessed, holy, saint, saintlike, saintly

Here.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join