It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why (Are) They (Are) Elected(?)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   
What does it mean being politic? Well, one of the definitions are a person ’being shrewd’, and an archaic meaning of shrewd is ’malicious’, which stems from the word ’malice’.

malice: desire to inflict injury, harm, or suffering on another, either because of a hostile impulse or out of deep-seated meanness
malice

The above is true, and it always will be, but that’s pertaining to semantics and a history of words. But, does the antiquated meaning still hold true? I think it does, because we’re still being injured, harmed or we're suffering by what politicians decide.

They (the politicians) will say or do anything to get elected, because it’s their way to ultimate power. It’s not any longer illegal, unethical or wrong to do what they did before e.g in the private sector, because now they’re doing the same thing, but "in the best interest of the people". Why? Because they were elected by the people. Who can argue with that?

The way they get elected is to talk in terms of abstracts. People can read into it what they want, as long as sentences are riddled with superlatives and ideologies, and it doesn't hurt when an imagined imminent threat is introduced with fear. That’s why people like Romney, Santorum and Gingriches are considered relevant. Their convictions can be bought, and their constituencies are somewhat satisfied.

Politicians don't really need to listen to anyone, because the ones that are listening to them puts the meaning into the words the specific politician are saying. And that's the beatuty of talking in abstracts and superlatives.

This is just a thought from someone observing US politics from the outside, and I willfully capitulate to any american disagreeing with me. Although I'm fascinated by your political structure, I'm no more than an enthusiastic observer.
edit on 21/1/12 by Droogie because: (no reason given)

new topics

join