It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What are the best maintenance software choices?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by kai22
reply to post by juleol

If I did that, would I need anything new to run things such as Chrome or programs like Guitar Pro?

Basically, would anything that runs fine on Windows, run ok on linux?

Or is it more like the whole PC/MAC situation?

Kyle

Any standard PC hardware can run Linux (i*86 or x86_64 processors).

You can run both of those programs on Linux natively; As they provide native installers:
www.google.com...
www.guitar-pro.com...

Alot of programs however, do not offer Linux builds (photoshop being a good example here). While there are some image-editing suits for Linux, they can do the job. Although most of the time, where a commercial piece of software isn't available for Linux, someone has gone and written their own implementation of the program which effectively does an identical task. Such as kdenlive for video editing, or Gimp for photo editing.

Although, yes it is like "Windows/Mac" as in you can only run programs which are built for Linux, usually most of the software available is free and may even be familiar to what is available on windows... such as Firefox, Thunderbird, VLC, OpenOffice for a few examples.

There are ways to run software on Linux which is built for windows using a compatibility layer called Wine. Most software will "just work", it's useful if for some reason you cannot find a Linux equivelant piece of software for whatever job needs to be done. Alot of the latest games for windows can even run under wine with no noticable problems.

en.wikipedia.org...(software)

Although, it isn't worth the hassle of moving to another operating system if you heavily rely on windows software. Ie; there isn't much point in using Linux if one wanted to run windows only programs on it.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by juleol
reply to post by kai22

Or you could install linux instead. Then you dont have to deal with most of that # including defragmenting disks.

as my fellow penguin friend said you could install linux and feel safe but even better is to run the linux from a casio wrist watch connected via a usb cable to the box ( oops being kinda geeky here ) . I know this may be over the top but simply dont install anything as a system on your hdd's within the box and run everything from a usb key. Its what i have done, so when ever i go to a friends place and regardless of what win os and security he has i simply bi pass everything (including bios set p/w) and load my computer. Its rather fun when you see their facial expression..its similar to wh@@@t the f@@@k

p.s. i had to lean the hard way regarding what computer/os i use online for forums and trolling and what computer/os i use for brute force.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by kai22

My recommendations are any of the following.

AVG antivirus - free*
free.avg.com...

Kaspersky antivuris - paid
usa.kaspersky.com...

Malware bytes - spyware/virus
www.malwarebytes.org...

Spybot Search and destroy - spyware/virus
www.safer-networking.org...

CCleaner - cleans up registry, temporary files, and personal info
www.piriform.com...

PeerBlock - program that blocks known malicious IP addresses among other things. The website has user submitted IP lists which can be block. Some are geared toward anti-p2p/RIAA groups, Malicious websites, and Government/military IP's.
www.peerblock.com...

General rules of advice-
Have two seperate user accounts on your computer. One will be an admin account with full admin rights. And one will be your personal account that does not have admin rights. What this does is, whenever there is a big change started on the computer, say the installation of a program or changing of settings, it will require you enter the Admin password. This helps prevent certain viruses and spyware which can install themselves when Admin rights are active on the account.

If you would like to be more anonymous on the internet(advertising tracking/cookies/personal info) you can use Firefox Portable from a USB stick. This will cut down on all of the software that tracks you and then sells the data to marketing firms.
portableapps.com...

Always have windows updates and security updates for software set to check/install automatically.

These are just some of the things off the top of my head

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by kai22

I think Vipre

www.gfi.com

is the best anti-virus with the lowest overhead.

System Mechanic seems to do pretty well with the rest of the stuff. Earlier versions were sometimes problematic but the later versions on my System 7 machine are helpful.

I hate Norton and McAffee caused almost as many problems as Norton.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by BO XIAN

I would disagree.

I believe the #1 Antivirus would Kaspersky!

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by VonDoomen

You may well be a far better judge than I.

I'm merely a layman who's had a terminal or computer in my home since 1976.

Kaperski was better than Norton or McAffee . . . however, I had very frustrating problems with it, too.

I've had no problems with Vipre . . . except for getting the settings like I most needed them for convenience.
And that was just a learning curve problem.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by BO XIAN

well this is what I was told my quite a few IT professionals.
If your an average joe, this is the best security for you, for the price.
Are there better security systems out there? You bet! But people like us don't really need them.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 08:46 AM
link   
[color=dodgerblue]I use Microsoft Security Essentials and occasionally scan with Malwarebytes.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Thanks for sharing knowledge..
www.newsflap.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join