It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What are the best maintenance software choices?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   
I've been meaning to ask this for a while, but with regards to anti-virus and things such as PC tune-up software, what are the best options to go for? I'm hoping this thread will prove useful to others so plenty of opinions would be great

At the moment, I'm using:

Microsoft Security Essentials (Anti-virus)
CCleaner (Cookies etc)
Defraggler (Defragmenter)

Would any of you be able to suggest better alternatives to what I have?

Anything extra that you could suggest (Tuneup Utilities, for example) would also be appreciacted

Much thanks,

Kyle
edit on 21/1/2012 by kai22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Last 2 you use is what I have used for years. I have found others somehow give my pc problems after I have installed them.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by scotsdavy1

Well that's a good start lol. Is it possible to completely defrag a computer? My Defraggler just doesn't seem to take it down past 12-13%

Kyle

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by kai22

Well that's a good start lol. Is it possible to completely defrag a computer? My Defraggler just doesn't seem to take it down past 12-13%

Kyle

I use Auslogics disk Defragger.

But I'm a total technophobic and saw it recommended years ago. But a good thread and I'll be interested to hear others recommendations.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by kai22

Download and install

Spybot Search and Destroy (Spybots)
AVG Free edition (Viruses, torjans, etc.)
Malwarebytes (backup to AVG)

Avoid: Norton anything - security, AV, also avoid McAfee.

Don't rely on AOL's security SW only.

Chrome for a replacement browser to IE.

Run AVG and Spybot everynight - just not at the same time. (leave PC on, turn off the monitor only. Deactivate sleep mode.)

Degraggler once a week is sufficient for most people.

Mozy for cloud back-up - do one big all files B/U, then do incrmentals daily.

Use Teracopy for file copies. (Does verification by CRC)

Copy the entire Windows CD/DVD to the root Dir on your C: Drive. (Will help in the time of need)

Create your "Recovery Disk" (MS Back-up)

Turn on the erase temporary files in IE. (CC does that too.)

Use Spybot to lock down your IE settings so they can not be changed unless you do it from Control Panel/IE Options.

That's what I can remember. There are lots more. My brain is fried at the moment.

-E2

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Kyle

As long as the dirve is not full, and your files are mostly sequential, it doesn't matter if it is not 100% defragged. Also don't worry about the gaps between files on the chart. It's okay to have that.

If the gaps really bother you use MS Defragmenter instead.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   
I would recommend Advanced-System-Care. That comes with all the essentials you need, and some good extras. I also use CCleaner, which you already have listed. That combination works pretty well, and keeps my CPU clean and malware free.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by kai22

Or you could install linux instead. Then you dont have to deal with most of that # including defragmenting disks.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by EyesII

I've actually been told to avoid AVG before as it can slow your computer down considerably, is this true?

Mozy for cloud back-up - do one big all files B/U, then do incrmentals daily.

Use Teracopy for file copies. (Does verification by CRC)

Copy the entire Windows CD/DVD to the root Dir on your C: Drive. (Will help in the time of need)

Create your "Recovery Disk" (MS Back-up)

Turn on the erase temporary files in IE. (CC does that too.)

Use Spybot to lock down your IE settings so they can not be changed unless you do it from Control Panel/IE Options.

Any chance you could explain these in more detail please? I don't understand half the terms lol. Also, I'm sure technophobe's would benefit (here's lookin' at you ken10)

Thank you nonetheless

Kyle

link   
Advanced SystemCare Free 5
en.wikipedia.org...
download.cnet.com...

link   

edit on 21-1-2012 by ANNED because: dp

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by juleol

If I did that, would I need anything new to run things such as Chrome or programs like Guitar Pro?

Basically, would anything that runs fine on Windows, run ok on linux?

Or is it more like the whole PC/MAC situation?

Kyle

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I use Avast! Home antivirus + Comodo firewall.
Advanced SystemCare and Auslogic Disk Defrag for system maintenance. I also run Windows Defender scan from time to time.
Alternative browser is of course a must - I use Opera.

TuneUp Utilities are very cool, but they are propietary.

edit on 21/1/12 by Maslo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   
You know there's another section for this kind of conversation... Right?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   
I had many propblems on my computer with virus' and mal/spyware.

I eventually had to use 'Nuke and Boot', reinstall all of my software, but I did not reinstall Internet Explorer and the service packs.

After installing Kapernsky virus protection and Google chrome, I have no problems. Explorer was the culprit for most of my pc issues.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by ken10

Kyle

I use Auslogics disk Defragger.

But I'm a total technophobic and saw it recommended years ago. But a good thread and I'll be interested to hear others recommendations.

Use an external hard drive and load it with movies, apps and anything else you don't need at the moment to keep your pc clean. The defrag should go up to 100% unless your hard drive is nearly full before you start....

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   
I use all of these...

Peer block, lets you control who your computer "talks to" on the Internet. Must have if you download anything.

www.peerblock.com...

BTW if you do download stuff it is recommended to use a separate partition, or better yet a separate drive from your C: drive/partition. Then always do a virus check before installing anything.

Wise Disk Cleaner v6.31 Best Free Disk Cleaner.

www.wisecleaner.com...

Wise Registry Cleaner v6.21 Best Free Registry Cleaner.

www.wisecleaner.com...

The PC Decrapifier Wipes Unwanted Junk.

pcdecrapifier.com...

Secunia Personal Software Inspector (PSI) Stay secure by patching and updating insecure programs.

secunia.com...

WinDirStat is a disk usage statistics viewer and cleanup tool for Microsoft Windows.

windirstat.info...

CCleaner is the number-one tool for cleaning your Windows PC.

www.piriform.com...

As far as anti-virus and firewall I use Eset Smart Security (NOD32), it's not free but there is nothing better. It's the best Jerry, the best!

www.eset.com...

edit on 1/21/2012 by ANOK because: typo

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by kai22

Well I use Linux sometimes, but when it comes to Windows.

Lately I've just been using MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials) and running manual Malware Bytes scans if I think I have something. Also, I keep the software and service packs I use up to date. I make sure Windows/Office/IE/FF/Flash/Java are up to date when new versions come out.

I also have two large drives and on the second I keep a copy of all my files plus drive images so I can format/reimage the drive quickly whenever I want.

Plus I've backed up my files to DVD in an order such that next to my desk I have a stack of DVDs. The first being my Windows disk, the second being my hardware drivers and service packs, and such so that if I start with disk 1, by the time I reach the last disk I have completely reinstalled the entire thing apps, music, videos, and all. I don't even have to think about it. Just start at disk 1 and in an hour I have my system back. So, even if I had a problem, it's gone.

In other words I don't think the software you use is really as important as making sure your backups are up to date, making sure your software is up to date, and a little planning ahead.

If that'll work for you I don't know, but I like having a quick way to just redo it instead of trying to find 8 different programs that can fix whatever the problem is.
edit on 21-1-2012 by tinfoilman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   
I have been using Avast anti-virus for about 6 years and have not had a single virus.

The key to not getting infected is:

1. Avoid suspect websites
2. Avoid torrents
3. Be vigilant by making sure your AV software is ALWAYS up-to-date
4. Never open an email attachment unless you specifically know the person sending it to you, and avoid opening attachments that the user has sent to multiple people regarding jokes, cool videos, power point, and other multimedia files
5. Employ a good Antivirus, Anti-Malware, and a SECOND Anti-malware in Manual Mode. (I use Avast in combo with Malwarebytes Anti-malware) and I use Spybot in Manual mode to scan my PC's daily.
6. Use Chrome instead of IE -- it is faster and cleaner
7. I use CCleaner AND Tune-up.
8. NEVER click a dialog box that pops up that you have no idea what it is from, especially telling you that it is time to do something, unless you know the software that produced it. Most Viruses occur because the user is TRICKED into clicking "OK" or "YES" on a dialog box out of nowhere.
9. Every so often, run your antivirus software from a boot disc, to scan your PC from a low level perspective. All major Anti-virus packages come with the ability to do a "boot time" scan.
10. Ditto on the Anti-Malware software -- to a boot scan when ever you can.

I manage hundreds of PC's on my network, and the only time I have gotten infected has been from a user being tricked into clicking an anonymous dialog box.

If your PC is sitting behind a router, I don't bother with the firewall features of windows or any other programs. But NEVER plug your PC directly to the net through your cable modem. Buy a Linksys router and have that dual protection in place -- Your cable modem then a router, then your PC. Let your second router assign your IP's via DHCP, not your primary cable modem.

If you are on a MAC, the best tool I have in my arsenal is Little Snitch which basically allows you to control apps that access your computer from the net and vice versa.
edit on 21-1-2012 by phantomjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by weavty1

Thanks for that, I genuinely had no idea that forum existed!

Might as well add this here - in the forum mentioned by weavty1 there is a thread that details the best freeware available (at least in the OP's opinion)

Linky

Kyle

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join