It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Navy to start using metal storm

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 09:03 PM
link   
The US navy will start to place metal storm guns on its ships to use as a defense against missiles or RPG�s. If all testing goes well this new technology will be coming to a US sip near you.

Metal Storm will take the lead role in a US Navy program to develop a system to defeat incoming rocket propelled grenades (RPGs). The program is part of a Phase 1 Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) award to the company's US subsidiary, Metal Storm.
Metal Storm will be prime contractor in this funded program designed to demonstrate the feasibility of producing an RPG defense system that integrates Metal Storm's electronic ballistics technology with the sensor, mount and fire control system of subcontractor Northrop Grumman

www.spacedaily.com...

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Can you please define "Metal Storm"?

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Here is their website and a few links to older ATS discussions on Metalstorm
www.metalstorm.com...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 09:57 PM
link   
ok.. thanks.. so, its like.. a Fragmentation grenade in weapon-grade size?.. That would have to be very useful in many cases

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 02:06 AM
link   
A innovative Australian company

D

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 02:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by drfunk
A innovative Australian company

Sure is. Read an interview with the guy who started Metal Storm. Pretty amazing guy, first time he demonstrated it to the US Military he copped a lot of crap for some of the generals, some even saying "look how far video technology has come" after he showed a video demonstration of his guns at work.

Metal Storm guns and that would have to be defensive weapons though. Bit hard to use them for offence considering the amount of ammo you need to feed into it.

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 03:13 AM
link   
I think there is already plans for offensive versions of Metal Storm. Versions that will fit on gunships armed with Grenade metal storms. I also remember a concept for ground troops that would be like a ambush weapon set it up and wait for a enemy convey then hit them hard and fast with Metal storm. Could come in very hand in ambush attacks

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 03:32 AM
link   
RPG's are a threat to naval ships???

From what, Islamic terrorists in small boats with oars?

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 03:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Netchicken

Sadly enough, yes. For that exact reason.

Gone were the days of the red banner fleet being the enemy, now all you have are some jihad monkeys with rpg's.

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Not only against RPG it could replace also Phalanx.

E_T

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
I also remember a concept for ground troops that would be like a ambush weapon set it up and wait for a enemy convey then hit them hard and fast with Metal storm. Could come in very hand in ambush attacks

I think you mean this one... it's called area denial weapon system:
www.metalstorm.com...

Maybe they're taking this new littoral warfare consept seriously and expect there's man with RPG in every small rock and rubber boat.

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Guys, I followed the Storm some time ago and have a gut feeling this is a gimmick. The idea looks cool the numbers are impressive, but... I don't see it doing anything that a more conventional system can't do, including "area denial". The Russian did "area denial" to Germans with great success in WWII... It's called "Katuysha". Add GPS and computers to that, and you get a similar capability. Area flamethrowers have been used as well.
After it fires a salvo, it needs to be reloaded ANYWAY, which kills the argument that it's easier to handle. It can be detected just as easily as a cannon... And because it so heavily relies on electronics for triggering... I suspect it might be more susceptible to EMP.

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 06:26 PM
link   
I can't wait for the contract to go ahead. I've had shares in this company ever since I saw a programme on the ABC about advanced electronic weaponary.

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 06:32 PM
link   
after you told me i think ill go get some shares of my own

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Metal storm could also be used to protect camps or temporary Us bases in other countries set these up on a roof or around a perimeter and anyone or anything fired will have thousands of holes in them

posted on Sep, 17 2004 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Chuck Vehlow, the CEO of Metal Storm, used to be a Program Manager for the US Army Apache systems at McDonnell Douglas (now boeing Rotorcraft) in Mesa.

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 12:38 AM
link   
The threat to our ships by RPG'S would be mainly to our littoral craft. (Coastal types) a carrier battle group would erase any trace of a surface threat long before it got within range. Things can and are hardened against EMP. And, I suspect they have the reloading problem all worked out (one would hope).

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 01:42 PM
link   
the US navy already uses some some like gatling gun that shoot some 6000 round a minute to stop incoming missles.

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by SmokeyTheBear
the US navy already uses some some like gatling gun that shoot some 6000 round a minute to stop incoming missles.

I think the gun you are thinking of is called the Seawiz or similar. Sorry i don't have a link.

Sanc'.

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 07:01 PM
link   
I wonder if they could make a setup like this small enough to be mounted on a humvee or an APC? I'll bet if it was loaded with some sort of buckshot or dispersing flechet rounds, it would be a meat grinder.

Originally posted by longbow

Not only against RPG it could replace also Phalanx.

If the navy decides to go with the Metal storm, what will happen to the Phalanx guns being replaced? I doubt they would ever sell them as military surplus, but I can dream can't I?
(Would look great on the Mel Gibson Turbocharged Roadwarrior Deathmachine I'm designing
)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join