It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will we be used in campaign retoric?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Now that politicians are paying more attention to forums like this, not for change, that would be truely amazing, but to find retoric that rings our bells and gets us to vote for them. I was reading this thread when I thought of it.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

The responses seem to me to be giving someone a great platform.

What are your thoughts?

If this is not the right forum, Mods please move.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Iamschist

That's kind of what they do already. They say what people want to hear. Quoting ATS threads, aside from aliens or mentioning our great SkepticOverlord, wouldn't be too obvious because we simply say what everyone else thinks.

There's not any bait they could use to reel us in, anyway.
edit on 21-1-2012 by Figzer because: typo

edit on 21-1-2012 by Figzer because: typo

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Not meaning to be offensive, but I don't think a Republican candidate would come here to get ideas. We're not actually mainstream voters, are we?

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   
As with politics in most countries, parties on different sides of the isle are liable (actually expected) to change their platform to suit the needs of the voters. The fact is, is that neither of the different political parties are really standing for something. Their convictions are for sale, and they rarely strain their relationship with contributors due to their need for money for re-election.

The only politician that I've seen so far, that actually holds his ground and can verifiably be held to a fundamental and substantial belief, is Ron Paul. All the other politicians contending for the republican nomination talks in abstracts and with pure B.S. This is how corporate moneymakers get elected, talking in abstracts, shoving superlatives into every sentence, without even saying anything meaningful.

They don't need to listen to anyone, because the ones that are listening puts the meaning into the words the politician are saying. And that's the beatuty of talking in abstracts and superlatives.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

Not meaning to be offensive, but I don't think a Republican candidate would come here to get ideas. We're not actually mainstream voters, are we?

Not offended, but I disagree, the candiates may not come here in person, but I bet someone on their staff does, we may not be completely mainstream, but we represent many people in the US. Most Americans are not verbal about their views. I read once that a single letter to a politician, is counted as at least 25 people.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Figzer

I think looking at all the Ron Paul supporters on here, politicians can say things that attract ATSers

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Droogie

You make some really good points, and I don't disagree in the abstract thing. I posted this cause I think TPTB were surprised and maybe taken aback by the response from the internet regarding PIPA and SOPA. I am wondering if they won't try to tap that.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Political rhetoric is what we should expect... always, not just during an election campaign. And let's be sure to understand what 'rhetoric' is, beyond the dictionary definition; posturing through accusation and rabble-rousing.

The current polarization is today so ingrained that we tend to ignore the uselessness of rhetorical information that we are fed on a daily basis from our mainscream news media.

Rhetorically speaking, there are no honest politicians; they're all crooks.
Literally speaking, we always get what we ask for because we never can trust what we're voting for.
Specifically speaking, each candidate should be held to their word over a bed of hot coals.

Light 'em up...

edit on 21-1-2012 by redoubt because: typo

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by redoubt

I too am disgusted with politics and politicians, your solution of holding their feet to the fire would certainly cut down on the number running for office I think

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   

If the "TPTB" exists, this wouldn't matter. They'd control the media, government, internet, whatever. No, I think corruption is intrinsic with each individual politician. They abide by what their fincancial contributors dictate, and their own personal convictions come second. There's no conspiracy, only greed and obedience, which can be ascribed to any one person ambitious enough climbing the political ladder.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Droogie

You have some very dark views. If what you say is true, how do you explain the reactions to the online protests of sopa and pipa?

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Droogie

We American's no longer deserve Ron Paul - we lost what we had and were given a second chance but still my ignorant countrymen think it would be better to invade Iran then elect Ron Paul.

Independents vote for RP over any other candidate but the GOP chooses to cut off their noses just to spite their face!

Idiots -- all of us Americans!!!!

top topics

join