It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Couple Finally Reveals Childs Gender Five Years After Birth

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   
I'm not sure where to put this, so I put it in the medical forum.
Honestly ... I'm thinking its' probably more of a psychology 'issue' ...
Read up and post comments ...

From the parents -

It's a boy! And he's five. Beck Laxton, 46, and partner Kieran Cooper, 44, have spent half the decade concealing the gender of their son, Sasha. "I wanted to avoid all that stereotyping," Laxton said in an interview with the Cambridge News. "Stereotypes seem fundamentally stupid. Why would you want to slot people into boxes?"

And how the parents did this -

Sasha dresses in clothes he likes -- be it a hand-me-downs from his sister or his brother. The big no-no's are hyper-masculine outfits like skull-print shirts and cargo pants. In one photo, sent to friends and family, Sasha's dressed in a shiny pink girl's swimsuit. "Children like sparkly things," says Beck. "And if someone thought Sasha was a girl because he was wearing a pink swimming costume, then what effect would that have? "

And what the parents are doing now -

But the sandbox is just a precursor to the classroom. When Sasha turned five and headed to school, Laxton was forced to make her son's sex public. That meant Sasha would have to get used to being a boy in the eyes of his peers. Still, his mom is intervening. While the school requires different uniforms for boys and girls, Sasha wears a girl's blouse with his pants. "I don't think I'd do it if I thought it was going to make him unhappy, but at the moment he's not really bothered either way. We haven't had any difficult scenarios yet."

Okay ... the parents claim that they aren't forcing the child to do anything that he doesn't want to do and that they are trying to raise a gender neutral child, but they refuse to like the boy wear masculine outfits but then allow him to wear a 'shiny pink girls swim suit'. And now that the boy is five years old and has to go to a regular school, the mother is forcing (yes .. forcing) the lil' fella to wear girls blouses with the boy pants.

Ya' know .. I get that a parent wouldn't want to force a kid to be what the kid doesn't feel like being as far as gender wise ... that's nice and all .... but it really seems like these parents are going out of the way to reduce the amount of 'boy' in their boy. It looks to me like these parents are using their son to set up a future 'in your face' to the school or the world or something .. at the expense of this little boy who is going to get the snot beat out of him very, very soon.

There is nothing wrong with children liking things that are specific to their gender.
It's not homophobic for a boy to want to wear cargo pants.
And since when is that 'boy'?? Both my daughter and I wear them. They are cozy.
I think these parents are probably psychologically damaged and they are projecting that onto their son.
I feel bad for the kid. I really do.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Even though he was clearly a boy, they didn't want him stereotyped? Dumbest thing I've ever heard.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by binkbonk

There's a lot of crazy people in the world. I read your post, but these are the insane kind of stories I try to avoid.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Magnificient
reply to post by binkbonk

There's a lot of crazy people in the world. I read your post, but these are the insane kind of stories I try to avoid.
Smart move by not reading the story. It really hurt my brain.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

We finally found something we kind of agree on

I think this is a form of child abuse. Kids are not always understanding and can be very mean. This kid might end up living a rough life if his parents don't smarten up.
edit on 21-1-2012 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   

After reading the article it does not look as if they are pushing any specific gender on their child. It looks as if they are trying to allow their child to be a child WITHOUT indoctrinating him into believing his sex makes him who he is.

If the parents are truly allowing the child to make his own choices then KUDOS to them. We should all move towards this type of parenting. In the long run it will create adults who know themselves intrinsically instead of what others "think they should be" and for goodness sakes that is a GOOD HEALTHY reality to work towards.

To the next thought, I agree we have to stop pushing particular genders on our children, they will figure it out in a much healthier way without us pushing one or the other on them.

ie: if a child likes certain types of toys their is NOTHING wrong with a child playing with those toys. Be it a boy liking dolls and high heels or a girl liking tonka trucks and tennis shoes. I include clothing in this, if a boy likes girl clothes and the reverse of that... which is already accepted ie: girls wearing pants.... then why do YOU personally care? It does not effect you one bit.

Besides, as far as I can tell "gender roll" clothing/toys/etc. is ONLY our human belief that each gender should ONLY be allowed to wear/play with certain types of clothing/toys/etc. Only the human animal has the belief that boys and girls are supposed to act/be a specific way and non human animals do just fine without gender roll stereotyping.

This idea of "boys only play with boy toys and only wear boy clothing" and "girls only play with girl toys and wear girl clothes" happens to be one thing only, and that is the indoctrination of children into thinking this way who then grow up, have children of their own and then propagate it on the next generation.

YOU, have been indoctrinated into believing this crazy theory that girls and boys "should be (insert your indoctrinated belief)", when if we allow them to be who they are they become healthier adults.

I've seen far too many parents pushing their child to be a particular gender. ie: if their child is a girl, they only buy girl toys and refuse to allow the child boy toys and if the child is a boy they only allow their child boy toys. They start the gender indoctrination right from the beginning, never allowing the child to fully evolve and grow on their own to be who they are intrinsically.

We are all people, let us stop indoctrinating each new generation into thinking their sex is the most important issue. Let us start allowing our children to grow up and learn who they are without the indoctrination of their sex being what and who they are allowed to be in this world.

If we allow our children to grow up and be themselves, I believe we would have far less gender crimes and race crimes.

Harm None
Peace

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by amazed
After reading the article it does not look as if they are pushing any specific gender on their child. It looks as if they are trying to allow their child to be a child WITHOUT indoctrinating him into believing his sex makes him who he is.

Yes, I know that's what they claim to be doing. But if you look at this deeper, you'll see that they are really pushing him away from anything traditionally 'boy' but also forcing him to wear girl shirts to school. Example - shiny pink girls bathingsuit is okay to wear, but cargo pants aren't because they are too 'boyish'. If they were really going to be neutral they'd have to skip the pink bathing suit .... and the mother shouldn't be forcing him to wear girls shirts to school.

Also - psychology tells us that a persons gender DOES go into making us who we are.
It's chemistry. It's there. Gender is a part of us ... like it or not .. that's just the way it is.

I really think the parents have some kind of problem. I understand letting a kid do what he or she wants and that kind of thing .. but that's not what they are doing at all. And this poor kid is going to get the snot beat out of him because he's not being taught how to get along in life. Sometimes a boy HAS to wear boy clothing ... and wearing a girls bathing suit when you are a boy .... that's just absurd. He's going to have a rough time in life and it'll be his parents fault.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Quite simply penis=boy, vagina=girl. We have plenty of non gender clothes to wear and plenty of non gender toys along with what is accepted as gender related ones. I think you will find in a family with children of both sexes the boys will happily play with dolls belonging to a sister as will the girls play with cars etc. I did not need to be told or educated into accepting I was a girl, I appreciate some people are in a body of a gender they are not happy with but they have the choice to follow what gender they like when mature enough to understand the difference between true body mismorpha against a passing whim. Why is it such a crime to just allow a child to grow up as what is considered normal, they will make the decision for themselves later if they feel it is all wrong.I see this as just another case of political correctness gone mad. What problems have they potentially stored up for the child by possibly causing confusion about his gender. Plenty of people cross dress but that is their choice not one forced upon them. Poor kid I can almost hear his questions now....am I a boy? am I a girl? am I transexual? am I gay?am I a transvestite? please just let the kid be a kid, not force it to feel alone without an identifiable gender at an age he is too young to understand.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Here we have yet another person with future mental problems. What the...? I really don't know how people can be so stupid but I wish they didn't breed. There are differences between male and female. It's natural.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   

I am happy to announce that my parents were normal, all the way.
That said, these people are conducting their own social experiment with their own son.
He can make a choice for himself, at early age.
Maybe it's a good thing.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   
There's already another thread about this here. Prepare to be shut down.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Just try to imagine how annoying those parents must be. That kid must be a little terror too. I wish them all the best.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   
It seems to me they are not making him Gender Neutral, they are trying to turn their little boy into a girl.

Lets hope this kid doesn't grow into a psychopath with a severe hatred for women as he gets older.

edit on 21-1-2012 by skitzspiricy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   

definitely child abuse

it's one thing to let a boy play with dolls
or girls play with monster tucks for example
and to let the child express itself freely.

but pink bathing suit, girls blouse, but no cargo pants, reveals the parents for control freaks, who are imposing their ideas on the child

and they are now exposing the child to ridicule and abuse,
he will soon be learning some nasty new words at school, no doubt

and no doubt many reading about this case, are swinging to the
"government should be able to intervene in children's upbringing, whether the parents like it or not" camp

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   

No, it sounds like they are allowing the child to wear what HE likes, and not what YOU like or what you believe HE "should" or "shouldn't" like.

Get the difference?

YOU have been indoctrinated into believing "boys should be" .... and "girls should be"....

Let's get rid of this type of indoctrination, which you obviously support, to NO indoctrination of which sex your born as being the "end all be all" of who/what we are allowed to be.

My thinking on this? Give them a choice every time, make sure children have the choices of ALL boy and girl items and then leave it be. Let them make their own choices as to who they are and let's stop indoctrinating our children into believing they "have" to be one or the other.

Otherwise we are just indoctrinating our children to be who/what WE as adults want them to be instead of allowing them to become who they truly are.

Eventually the idea that boys are one specific thing and girls are one specific thing will go away into "humans" all have different likes and dislikes and that is "ok".

I all of you against this had been raised without even questioning what is "boy" or "girl" appropriate, you wouldn't care one bit. It would not even be a question of "boy" or "girl". We would grow up being who we are without gender identity being forced upon us.

To me moving away from forcing gender specific identities on our children is a GOOD thing.

The less we focus on "OMG are you a boy or a girl" and focus on "OMG what is your personality" the more we move towards a healthy society.

And if this child "gets the snot beat out of him" it is BECAUSE of gender indoctrination of other children by the adults around them and not because of who he is intrinsically.

And.... well... that is just your indoctrinated belief that a boy wearing a pink bathing suit is "absurd". If YOU hadn't been indoctrinated into believing it absurd, then it would just be "normal" and not "absurd".

Point in case.... it was at one point considered "absurd" if a girl/woman wore pants instead of a dress. These days it's normal and not absurd at all. On the twist side of that, at one point in human history, we all pretty much wore the same thing, dur nothing, and that certainly wasn't considered "absurd" then, but it sure would be now.

So like it or not, this idea of boys and girls only supposedly "should" like gender specific "things" is what I consider "absurd".

Harm None
Peace

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   

it sounds like they are allowing the child to wear what HE likes, and not what YOU like or what you believe HE "should" or "shouldn't" like.

That's incorrect. Read the article. The parents are not allowing 'boy' things like cargo pants or black skull t-shirts. They are not allowing him to wear a boys shirt to school but are instead forcing him to wear a girls blouse.

BTW - The school says it's a girls blouse or boys shirt. The parents are saying cargo pants are 'masculine'. My daughter and I both wear cargo pants and have never considered them 'boyish'. they are just plain cozy.

It really looks like they are not being neutral but instead are pushing what they consider to be 'girl stuff' and holding back on what they consider to be 'boy stuff'.

YOU have been indoctrinated into believing "boys should be" .... and "girls should be"....

Um .. no, I haven't.

The fact is that this kid is going to get beat up. He's going to be a psychological mess. Then the parents will want the school system to pay for the problem that they-themselves created by forcing the boy to wear girls clothes to school, etc etc. He isn't being taught how to get along in life. It's pretty darn sick.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Let them make their own choices as to who they are and let's stop indoctrinating our children into believing they "have" to be one or the other.

Sure. But that's NOT what the parents are doing - even though they claim to be.
They are pushing what they consider 'girl things' and forbidding what they consider 'boy things".

The less we focus on "OMG are you a boy or a girl" and focus on "OMG what is your personality" the more we move towards a healthy society.

No one says 'Oh My God you are a girl or Oh My God you are a boy". thats' silly. We are not a gender neutral society. People are born with certain body parts and they have the chemistry that goes with them. That chemistry effects how they think. It's just the way it is. Sounds like those who want a totally gender neutrall society are more hung up on body parts then the rest of the planet.

if this child "gets the snot beat out of him" it is BECAUSE of gender indoctrination of other children by the adults around them and not because of who he is intrinsically.

Being born a boy or a girl isn't 'gender indoctrination'. It's just being born a boy or a girl.
Certain clothing fits boys better than girls and certain clothing fits girls better than boys.
The parents of this boy are guilty of setting their son up for a massive psychological meltdown.
He has to be taught how to get along in society ... and he isn't.

And.... well... that is just your indoctrinated belief that a boy wearing a pink bathing suit is "absurd". If YOU hadn't been indoctrinated into believing it absurd, then it would just be "normal" and not "absurd".

And ... well .... it is your mistake to think that a little boy can wear a pink GIRLS bathing suit and that it is okay. It isn't made for his body. It's made for a girls body. It is just that simple.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
I'm not sure where to put this, so I put it in the medical forum.
Honestly ... I'm thinking its' probably more of a psychology 'issue' ...
Read up and post comments ...

From the parents -

It's a boy! And he's five. Beck Laxton, 46, and partner Kieran Cooper, 44, have spent half the decade concealing the gender of their son, Sasha. "I wanted to avoid all that stereotyping," Laxton said in an interview with the Cambridge News. "Stereotypes seem fundamentally stupid. Why would you want to slot people into boxes?"

And how the parents did this -

Sasha dresses in clothes he likes -- be it a hand-me-downs from his sister or his brother. The big no-no's are hyper-masculine outfits like skull-print shirts and cargo pants. In one photo, sent to friends and family, Sasha's dressed in a shiny pink girl's swimsuit. "Children like sparkly things," says Beck. "And if someone thought Sasha was a girl because he was wearing a pink swimming costume, then what effect would that have? "

D
And what the parents are doing now -

But the sandbox is just a precursor to the classroom. When Sasha turned five and headed to school, Laxton was forced to make her son's sex public. That meant Sasha would have to get used to being a boy in the eyes of his peers. Still, his mom is intervening. While the school requires different uniforms for boys and girls, Sasha wears a girl's blouse with his pants. "I don't think I'd do it if I thought it was going to make him unhappy, but at the moment he's not really bothered either way. We haven't had any difficult scenarios yet."

Okay ... the parents claim that they aren't forcing the child to do anything that he doesn't want to do and that they are trying to raise a gender neutral child, but they refuse to like the boy wear masculine outfits but then allow him to wear a 'shiny pink girls swim suit'. And now that the boy is five years old and has to go to a regular school, the mother is forcing (yes .. forcing) the lil' fella to wear girls blouses with the boy pants.

Ya' know .. I get that a parent wouldn't want to force a kid to be what the kid doesn't feel like being as far as gender wise ... that's nice and all .... but it really seems like these parents are going out of the way to reduce the amount of 'boy' in their boy. It looks to me like these parents are using their son to set up a future 'in your face' to the school or the world or something .. at the expense of this little boy who is going to get the snot beat out of him very, very soon.

There is nothing wrong with children liking things that are specific to their gender.
It's not homophobic for a boy to want to wear cargo pants.
And since when is that 'boy'?? Both my daughter and I wear them. They are cozy.
I think these parents are probably psychologically damaged and they are projecting that onto their son.
I feel bad for the kid. I really do.

This is so wrong imho.
Gender should be celebrated, not denied.
Gender equality, has nothing to do with wath gender you are.
I also happen to think there is a difference between men and women, and this should be celebrated, not de ied.
Nature created gender, embrace it!
Inequality is in the mind!

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed

We finally found something we kind of agree on

I think this is a form of child abuse. Kids are not always understanding and can be very mean. This kid might end up living a rough life if his parents don't smarten up.
edit on 21-1-2012 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

I don't consider this child abuse in the least but silly and he'll have some bullies in his face until he says NO to the blouse. However it was a very freeing childhood. I didn't do that, but gave them lots of dress up and if my young boys wanted to try on my makeup, I put it on, I treated them to little play games but still taught them about the dress up police and machos that exist.

So they're somewhat open minded, and in that way what they did was fine, but not in the school system it won't be.

Its not abuse of him, its actually just too far gone on somewhat OK idea.

As it is, if she tries to make him stay girlish, she'll find out how much he will reject this. The learning for him will turn around and bite her backside. She'll be forced to learn something from him. But it doesnt involve us.
edit on 21-1-2012 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Posted earlier here
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion in the above linked thread.
Thanks

**Thread Closed**

for future reference:

We Have A New Search Engine--Please Use It!

new topics

top topics

join