It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Electrical products redundant

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   
How many electrical products do you have that are just lying around your house or garage or basement etc?
I'm talking about televisions, radios, tape recorders etc
These days when something is bought it is not long before a new version comes out that makes the old one look ancient.
Also, when something breaks down these days, it's usually cheaper to just throw it out and get a new one than have it repaired because most of the time it is cheaper to do this.
Last year our 3 year old washing machine broke down so I bought a new one and put the old one in the local council skip for such things. Yesterday a toaster finally gave up the ghost so I threw it out and bought a cheap one that does the same job for half the price of the one that broke down.
In my loft, I have working free view boxes, a tv, an old monitor for my pc before I got a flat screen for it, a smaller flat screen for same pc, and a lot more working gadgets that I have replaced with newer models.
I even found 2 old mobile phones that still work but I don't use them.
Maybe I should sell the lot on gum tree or suchlike.
Not as if I'm rich or anything but just stuff that's accumulated over the years.
What do other members think?

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Everything is made to break, and is never ever madeto live up to it's full technological potential. If they made the very best of everything all at once, and it had a chance of a long "life" then the companies that produce such products would hardly make any money, hence the manufacturing of goods that WILL break/stop working, and is at it's lowest possible potential, so that they can create the same product with an extra feature, which people will go out and buy, therefore making more money.

Capitalism. It's disgusting.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   
There's another pet peeve: It's always cheaper to buy a new one than to repair the old one. The lone exception for me is computers. Them I can fix, everything else gets tossed and replaced.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Electrical bulbs is a good one in that they never last long these days for some reason....

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by scotsdavy1

I hardly even buy stuff these days. I know a guy who work at a recycling center and you cant believe what electric stores or people throw out. The guy who works there even found himself a brand new 42" plasma hdtv a few years ago. Only thing wrong was a cosmetic issue on the REAR end and remote control was still not even unwrapped.

My hifi system is from same place with brand new proson speakers where one speaker had a scratch in the wood that is not even noticeable, while other speaker package was not even opened.

Found also a dual core intel duo laptop with 2gig of ram, nvidia 8600 gs, hdmi output and so on. The only thing wrong with the laptop was a corrupt windows installation.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Was just talkin about this stuff the other day, got a old tube tv thats been sitting on my enclosed deck for about 2 or 3 years now, through -50 c in the canadian colds up to some really hot heat waves the tv still functions fine anytime we need to use it, i'd like to see some of this "newer" technology withstand that type of abuse.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   
I am watching a movie on a pen drive that is connected with a DVD player built in that I bought just last year. I saw the same model in a store yesterday for exactly half price so when this breaks down, whats the point in getting it fixed? More for the land fill I think...which is the problem these days.

new topics

top topics

join