It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Reality of SHTF

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 09:19 AM
link   
We talk about SHTF as though things will be relatively normal one day, and then the next we will wake up in a situation that resembles "The Road" or even "Silent Hill".

But the reality is that it is highly unlikely that this will be the case. Certainly, SHTF will take less time than Rome, which took decades, did to collapse, but it likely will not be overnight.

Still, there will be a time when we look back and say, "Yes, that was the day when it all started." This is repeatedly the way things happen. History scholars are obsessed with isolating that one particular day where everything radiated out from. So how can we isolate this day?

I believe that this day can be isolated this way:

SHTF comes the day that the majority, rather than just a minority, begin to realize that our goose is cooked, the sky is falling, and the world as we know it is quickly coming to an end.

AKA SHTF comes the day that Joe-Smoe finally wakes up.

My plans are to grab my bug-out gear and get out of dodge the second that this happens. And here's the scary part: I'm starting to see stirrings of the recognition right now.

It really may not be that long, folks.
edit on 21-1-2012 by AnIntellectualRedneck because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by AnIntellectualRedneck

I here ya there man.Plans have been in motion for the last couple of years.I have informed many people on whats gonna happen very soon and only get called"looney".So when my children and i bug out to an undisclosed location i am able and willingly prepared to deal with the unprepared....peace bro

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Its funny you say that. I told my husband just yesterday that I'm noticing more and more people who casually mention "when the lights go out", then say something they're doing to prepare. This week, my doctor and I had a conversation about it and again, I met a man at the thrift store and it came up because he was shopping there for prepper type supplies. I always frame my supply list as camping/hiking in the beginning until I know their viewpoint. So we may be reaching that point now.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   
I agree. I see the meltdown occurring in stages. The next stage should be something like Argentina experienced, then something like the Wiemar Republic, then something like "Alas Babylon" or "Jericho" hopefully sans nuclear weapons.Culminating either as a worldwide totalitarian dictatorship, or something like "But What of Earth" sans MT technology.

Alas Babylon

Jericho

Sorry, But I cannot find a detailed synopsis of But What of Earth. It was on of Piers Anthony's early works first published in 1976.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Found this article this morning and it was certainly a sobering slap in the face for myself, and probably alot of others.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

A man found dead in a remote mountain hut was an adventurer who had planned a year-long Bear Grylls-style survival challenge in the Scottish wilderness.

It appears he died of hypothermia. I think most folks reckon they could tough it out for a while no problem, but the realities will be so alien it will catch even some of the more prepared out.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Big Raging Loner

That is one of the reasons I chose to live in Florida. Even at it's coldest, hypothermia is a very minor concern unless you are naked or, or fall into a lake or something.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   

S had not HTF as you presumed, as long as mankind still breathe.

We are flawed beings but capable of correcting mistakes. The financial crisis happened. Many around the world suffered. But it's only money. Once lost, can be earned again, as long as the wealthy share their wealth, not through charity alone which is a sinking hole, but create jobs in the manufacturing and services sector. Plenty of money only hoarded up today, gathering dust while the 99% shell shocked by impending poverty.

The sun had acted up, earthquakes, hurricanes, floods, etc now and then. People are no longer caveliar, but more careful, with more sensor equipment to detect for early warning. Housed collapsed, crops destroyed, but not ALL were destroyed. What one region suffers, another has the capacity to supply to meet needs.

Wars and threats of wars/terrorism abound. The strong only need to be prepared to defend the weak, and with more advance equipment and better carrot/stick diplomacy to counter such threats.

Thus, there are always solutions to problems, as long as one keeps a clear and sane mind. And prayers do help. It aint the end of the world yet as long as mankind adapts and never give up, as a family, community, society, nation and world, by confronting it head on with solutions instead of living in delusions or fear by running away.

edit on 21-1-2012 by SeekerofTruth101 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Most likely society would collapse in stages except if there was an EMP strike. That would be an instant breakdown of society. No electricity and most vehicles rendered useless instantly would cause mass chaos I don't even like to think about.

I've been preparing for a few years but still have so much I want to do before I feel somewhat comfortable. I've figured out constant access to water but now I'm working on food. You can do gardens but that's only seasonal. I've been thinking about raising fish and vegetables in a aquaponic garden. That could help sustain year round. The aquaponic gardens I've seen have over a hundred fish at one time, but maintaining a pump (for fish) in a no power situations is a problem.

I've also been working on a biomass generator aka wood gasifier. It allows you to draw the gases off of wood, pine needles, etc. right before combustion and power gas generators using this extracted gas.

There is so much we can do, if we just do it. Even if nothing happens and we live ripe old ages without seeing any kind of collapse we still better ourselves just being prepared. I've learned so much stuff I would have never learned otherwise.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   

The old metaphor of the frog sitting still while the water slowly comes to a boil comes to mind.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   
heard on the radio yesterday a decent analogy, basically we are transforming right now from the "apathy" stage to the "slavery" stage...

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Big Raging Loner

This scenario reminds me of something that always stuck with me, some advice of John Titor (yeah I know, but no matter what you think of the Titor thing the advice is solid).

Make sure you have five friends you can rely on to bug out with. Get your buds ready along with your pack, you will need them.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Just wondering... if SHTF couldn't we all just eat bugs? I hear they're high in protein

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Signals
heard on the radio yesterday a decent analogy, basically we are transforming right now from the "apathy" stage to the "slavery" stage...

Actually a good statement...

Acceptance of slavery more likely.
Whereas I see more and more people realizing what is happening around them...
Those same people are still saying, "We can't do anything about it".

BUT:
I am starting to believe in the hierarchy again.
There will always be the wealthy, or well-to-do, and then the soldiers, then the workers.

WE are the workers.
The workers are about to show the wealthy exactly who greases the machine.
Because if we stop greasing it, things will rust and grind to a halt.

No more "wealth".

If SHTF, it will be because the workers wanted it to hit the fan.
Unless of course a supernatural event takes place.
Or a natural disaster.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Open2Truth

The old metaphor of the frog sitting still while the water slowly comes to a boil comes to mind.

Too bad we're the frogs..

Whilst that one defining day of the SHTF will likely occur at some time in the near future..We still have to live for today.

Coz IMO, the road that lies ahead for mankind is not a pretty one.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   

I knew it would only be a matter of time before you used the phrase "get the hell out of dodge". Plus, SHTF scenarios are more than likely now that Iran has nuclear weapons and North Korea are working on bio-weapons behind closed doors.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   

this might add to your thread

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 05:27 AM
link   
SHTF will actually happened overnight.Tbh, a long recession that can lead to a lonf depresion cannot be called a SHTF scenario.SHTF have to be a hard blow delivered to humanity...otherwise its not gonna be a SHTF scenario.

The only possible scenarios of SHTF might be :
-alien invasion
-nuclear terror attack
-world war
-a number of big banks going bankrupt
-euro or $ going bust

Only last two might take longer then a day but probably not more then 2-3 days.
So, actually, a SHTF scenario must happened very fast so we can call it this way.

top topics

join