It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ga. judge orders president to appear at hearing

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   
I'm not an American so not too sure of legalities - but is there a way he could be made to show up in person , something even stronger than the subpoena ?

If , (and it's a big if) Obama decides to appear - perhaps his spin doctors may even suggest it's a vote winner/swinger for him and will prove to some Americans he is a man of the people and not above the law - this would be a security nightmare. Dates/times/location would all potentially be known in advance !
edit on 21-1-2012 by slidingdoor because: re-arrange wording

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by slidingdoor

As President he can't be prosecuted while holding office. It does not make him immune to other legal proceedings though. Usually, because of the position, and using history as our guide, the courts have extended the courtesy of allowing just the lawyers to represent the president. However there have been certain issues where the judges said no, and required the President to appear.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra
reply to post by slidingdoor

As President he can't be prosecuted while holding office. It does not make him immune to other legal proceedings though. Usually, because of the position, and using history as our guide, the courts have extended the courtesy of allowing just the lawyers to represent the president. However there have been certain issues where the judges said no, and required the President to appear.

While holding office... What about the case of "prior to holding office" as in this case apparently? If he doesn't show up they could, then, just keep him off the ballot and issue a bench warrant right?

This is confusing because they are alleging that he shouldn't be on the ballot come November. However, right now he is holding the office.
edit on 21/1/2012 by Iamonlyhuman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   
This is simple the approved BC from the state of Hawaii is available - case closed
You think that it is a fake - prove it - different case.

Bogus charges -- make people look very dumb.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Iamonlyhuman

It doesnt matter when the "crime" occurred. The President would need to be removed from office before he could be prosecuted for a crime. Congressmen have the same standard at the federal as well as state levels. Its designed to protect them from false lawsuits / accusations etc. If the charge is serious enough, then articles of impeachment can be drawn up and we go from there.

In this case there is no proof any crime has been committed, just allegations, and those allegations apply to the upcoming election and not the last one.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   

When will these crazy nutters give it up?

If they actually think that Obama will show up in a court in the middle of Bum#, GA, they've been smoking too much of the wacky tobaccy.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   
I kind of enjoy the thought of the President being inconvenienced like this. I have no opinion in the matter of his eligibility, but I'm of the firm belief that he is as corrupt as they come, so anything that is a pain in the ass for him is good.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   

The outcome of the case itself is a moot subject, and if Obama had not sued Alabama over the immigration laws we passed, if Obama had shown any redeeming characteristics whatsoever as President, I would be against this action.

He has held the Office of President for three years now. That cannot be undone. A whistle cannot be unblown. Even if, as I have heard some say, all his actions were to be struck down on the basis of ineligibility, that would include all budgetary actions as well: the United States would be in default for all payments made during those last three years. That would be a nightmare that will not be allowed to happen.

Even if Obama cannot be on the ballot in Georgia during the primaries, he will still be the Democratic nominee. It would take multiple states with each one casting their votes for an unannounced-to-date second preference for him to lose the nomination.

Even if Obama were to be withheld from the general election in November (not even an issue in this particular case), he did not in 2008 and will not in 2012 carry Georgia. It would have no real effect.

This is all symbolic at this point. The one tangible thing that might come from this action would be that future candidates would be held to a higher eligibility standard... not a bad thing IMO. But what also might come from this action, just from the fact it exists, is a statement to the present administration:

"No, Mr. President, you are not our God. No, Mr. President, you do not own the country. No, Mr. President, we are not your subjects; we are your supervisors during your time of service."

Of course, I doubt he will listen...

TheRedneck

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

It doesnt matter when the "crime" occurred. The President would need to be removed from office before he could be prosecuted for a crime. [color=gold]Congressmen have the same standard at the federal as well as state levels. Its designed to protect them from false lawsuits / accusations etc. If the charge is serious enough, then articles of impeachment can be drawn up and we go from there.

This may be true for the POTUS,

but it looks like U.S. Congress may not be completely immune while still in office.

June 2007 article as source:

Rep. William Jefferson, D-La., was indicted Monday on federal charges of racketeering, money-laundering and soliciting more than $400,000 in bribes in connection with years of trying to broker business deals in Africa.
Is an "indictment" the beginning of "prosecution" ?

Still was in office:

Congressional reaction
House Speaker Nancy Pelosi is expected to push this week for Jefferson to be stripped of his seat on the Small Business Committee, according to a leadership aide who spoke on condition of anonymity because the decision had not yet been announced.

"If these charges are proven true, they constitute an egregious and unacceptable abuse of public trust and power," said Pelosi, D-Calif. "Democrats are committed to upholding a high ethical standard and eliminating corruption and unethical behavior from the Congress."

House Republican Leader John Boehner of Ohio said Jefferson should be expelled from Congress if he is found guilty and refuses to resign.

Congressman indicted in bribery investigation

There might be other cases too.

edit on Jan-21-2012 by xuenchen because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   

hello Iamonlyhuman, thanx for the news, that sure is good to hear and a bit of a surprise considering i read this last week ... link.

VERY QUIETLY OBAMA'S CITIZENSHIP CASE REACHES THE SUPREME COURT -- snip -- In a move certain to fuel the debate over Obama's qualifications for the presidency, the group "Americans for Freedom of Information" has Released copies of President Obama's college transcripts from Occidental College -- snip -- The transcript was released by Occidental College in compliance with a court order in a suit brought by the group in the Superior Court of California. The transcript shows that Obama (Soetoro) applied for financial aid and was awarded a fellowship for foreign students from the Fulbright Foundation Scholarship program. To qualify, for the scholarship, a student must claim foreign citizenship. - read link for more -

i didn't research the original AP story, but i find this an interesting twist which may be rendered moot before it ever comes to pass, especially if the SC rules first.

although, it is refreshing to learn that an elector finds the question valuable enough to demand clarification. kudos to the citizen with the big kahunas

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

An indictment is where evidence is presented to a group of citizens who decide if the information the prosecutor presents is enough to warrant charges. Charges can always be brought, and prosecution can occur if the person is removed from office or the ethics committee does their thing.

ETA:
My bad.. They are immune from arrest, not charges or prosecution, and even then it depends on the charges leveled.

My bad.

As far as the comments go about Obama and his first term, if that Pandoras box is opened it would be a disaster. In addition to legal questions about anything Obama signed off on, congress themselves could be investigated since they are the ones who certified the election. Did any members know about Obamas status when the election was certified etc etc etc?
edit on 21-1-2012 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

Good clarification.

Thanks.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   
The judge and the resident will soon find themselves targets of the IRS or they'll be having surprise visits from home inspectors ... or they'll suddenly find that their homes are being taken because of 'eminent domain' ... betchya ...

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   
I think he was scheduled to golf on that day.

he could have put that in the motion at least, just might not have denied his tee time

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

The best part is that a failure to appear usually results in a default judgement in favor of the plaintiff.

MBF

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   
This is something that SHOULD have been addressed BEFORE the last election. If it is proven that he is not qualified to be president, then he should be removed from office. Not that I'm saying that Biden would be a better president, I doubt that he would and may even be worse. Sad that my state is the only one that has the required anatomy to stand up to this issue. True that it would make no difference if he can't get on the ballot because he didn't win Georgia last time and will Not this time either

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   
you know....

several years ago i spent alot of time researching the "global awakening coming 2012"...

i never truely believed this nonsense, however, maybe there is truth to it...

everything is becoming so clear and so transparent...

without resulting to personal attacks (this is kind of hard),
you can now pick the racist out of a group of people...
you can now pick the idiots out of a group of people...
you can now pick the ones that HATE the country they live in out of a group of people...

the globe is awakening...
the grey is disappearing and the black and white are becoming vivid..

everything is becoming clear...

one example, i was at work oneday, getting my morning paper work out of the way (it was the day after the state of the union address)... i missed it the night before, so i had it playing on my droid when a couple of people walked into the office...

one of these people started getting like really pissed... his face turned red, it looked like he wanted to either say something or hit me, i was looking closer to me getting hit... he then GROWLED, and walked off...

now, i am simple watching THE STATE OF THE UNION address, why would he get so bent out of shape???
i know why he got so bent out of shape...

i'm not calling him racist, as i am sure he has the token "black friend", however, yeap, i am calling him racist...

i was absolutely bitter with GWB, however, i would have never acted like this, he was still the president of my country, and I would still be interested in what he had to say...

bottom line, HAVE SOME RESPECT....

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   
If you fail to appear in court, as required, you are held in contempt of court, among other charges. Who would enforce the law in the case he doesn't appear? Would FBI agents knock on the Whitehouse front door and serve him the warrant? He'll have to pay money (taxpayers' money) to avoid going to jail, then get a new court date. If he fails again to appear, the charges could be more severe. But first of all, I doubt anyone would be willing to enforce the law if he illegally chooses to skip his subpoena.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by pointr97
Could you imagine trying to be a process server assigned to that one....

I could just see it now.....'Pizza guy'....'We didn't order a pizza'.....etc.

I did some process serving in college for my buddies dad's law firm, and yes I'd hate to try and serve that one.

I don't doubt that he was born in Hawaii, but there are plenty of legitimate questions we don't have answers to.

Why does a guy born in Hawaii have a Connecticut SSN?

Is it because he lied and said he was from indonesia to get free schooling?

How does a C student at a 4th rate college get into Columbia?

How does said student pay for Columbia?

How does same student pay for Harvard Law?

How does he pay for international travel while in college?

The media owes us some answers, he's not a county commisioner for christs sake.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Honor93

VERY QUIETLY OBAMA'S CITIZENSHIP CASE REACHES THE SUPREME COURT

i didn't research the original AP story,

What "original ap story"?

That whole thing is just another birther hoax, debunked here several times before.

www.snopes.com...

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join