It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bizarre Craigslist crime committed by teen

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Folks, be VERY careful when dealing with Craigslist. After the murders of men who answered ads to go work on a ranch and now this, make sure you bring one or two friends with you when meeting with anyone from Craiglist or any similar site for that matter. You just never know when it's a scam or sicko you're going to encounter.

I did a search and didn't see it posted. If it has, please disregard.

Teen uses Craigslist to lure women, attack them

www.wsbtv.com...

PAULDING COUNTY, Ga. — Some metro women who thought they were looking at a cute dog to adopt were actually looking at phony online ads and soon found themselves under attack.

Investigators said they ads were listed on the popular website Craigslist. The ad spoke to dog lovers with a picture of a cute, small, in-demand breed that needed a new home.

In the ad, the seller claimed to be a woman.

"When the females are contacting this individual they actually think they are speaking with a female, an older female, and they're not. They're actually speaking with this male juvenile," Deputy Ashley Hensen with the Paulding County Sheriff's Office said.

And when the callers went to look at the dog in a south Paulding subdivision, they found themselves under attack by a teenager chasing them with things like a Taser or hacksaw.

One woman said she was victimized twice.

"A female called her on the phone and said, 'That was my child, can you please come back? I'm sorry.' So the female came back to the residence and at that point the male juvenile chased the female with a bat," Hensen said.

The teen was arrested and is now in the regional youth detention facility, but investigators want to know if anyone else fell prey to the bizarre attacks.

Please visit the link for videos.

This kid is way wacked. I've only seen stuff like this in horror movies. I just can't believe the one woman went back, but maybe she was concerned for the dog's safety. Who knows. I'm just happy that the women all made it out alive and unharmed. The question now is if there were any previous victims that will come forward. I just hope this kid hasn't killed anyone because he's obviously one step away from committing murder. I wonder what his plan was if he actually did hurt any of these women? Scary to even think about it.

Stay safe, folks. Women as well as men can't be too careful anymore.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   
This takes away all hope that I used to have.
I live a life of isolation... I was homeschooled, dont go to social events, and usually have job, were I 'dont' meet girls...
Im lonely, and am currently using craigslist to seek a nice girl, from my area... ( not working out for me )
And now it has become clear to me; that there is not gona be some random girl, who gets on there, and finds me...

They have all been scared away.... By SIck twisted people, who have no idea how much they have inconvenienced me...

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by AwnAegisean

Isn't it funny? We have more people alive on this planet than ever before in the known history of mankind and we're all scared out of our wits to speak to anyone.

So how to meet like-minded people of the opposite sex? Do stuff. It means you have to examine who you are inside. You have to develop interests. Do things. Experience things. People who are doing the same thing will be there too.

In the old days, you found those people in the form of "the girl next door", or your high school sweetheart, or you would meet them at church. We don't have too much of that going on anymore, most especially not when you sit indoors with the curtains drawn all day.

But how dare you use the word "inconvenienced" there? Are women objects of convenience?

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by AwnAegisean
I live a life of isolation... I was homeschooled, dont go to social events, and usually have job, were I 'dont' meet girls...
Im lonely, and am currently using craigslist to seek a nice girl, from my area... ( not working out for me )
And now it has become clear to me; that there is not gona be some random girl, who gets on there, and finds me...

They have all been scared away.... By SIck twisted people, who have no idea how much they have inconvenienced me...

Have you tried a pay dating site? There are many choices out there and I have a few friends who are married to the person they met on these dating sites. Craigslist is simply for horn dogs. Seems like you want more than that though. You'll find someone!

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Idiots lucky none of his victims were armed.

It's a dangerous game going to unfamiliar places. Dangerous for the UPS guy, the pizza guy, the cable guy, and the classifieds shopper. Always has been.

Part of my work involves house calls. Mostly its on referral but occasionally I'll get a call out of the blue or somebody will stop in and ask if I can be at a place at a time to do some work.

When I can I take a partner. Failing that I'm always armed and plenty of people know where I'll be and for how long I expect to be. I've even taken to recording my time there and what's said (with customer permission) to prevent any "he said / she said" troubles that lunatics will sometimes instigate.

Nothing ruins the peace and tranquility of life like other people.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Why would anyone use Craigslist? It's one of the most shady sites in existence. Everyone should avoid it at all costs.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tea4One
Why would anyone use Craigslist? It's one of the most shady sites in existence. Everyone should avoid it at all costs.

i love C-List
I've sold alot of stuff through that site.
+ donated alot of stuff .

its not the site's fault for what unscrupulous
people chose to do with it

like they say buyer BEWARE

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by spoonbender

I somewhat agree but it's a website that can be easily used by disgusting people. It's safer to stay away from it altogether in my opinion.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Afterthought

fool me once by offering to sell me a puppy and then chase me with a hacksaw, shame on you.
Fool me twice and i'm just an idiot

the stupidity of some people just amazes me!
Bracing for ironic cosmic karma

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by VonDoomen

fool me once by offering to sell me a puppy and then chase me with a hacksaw, shame on you.
Fool me twice and i'm just an idiot

the stupidity of some people just amazes me!
Bracing for ironic cosmic karma

I'm glad I'm not the only one
that thinks this a little ree ree to begin with

I somewhat agree but it's a website that can be easily used by disgusting people. It's safer to stay away from it altogether in my opinion.

anything can be used
by disgusting people ...

ya gonna live in a vault

I mean come on

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by VonDoomen

No kidding!
If I was really interested in that dog, I'd have told the "woman" to bring it to a busy place like a grocery store parking lot. Why would anyone go back to a house where their kid is obviously a Norman Bates/Leatherface wannabe?

Like the poster above stated, the kid is lucky he didn't get killed by someone carrying a gun. On the other hand, I think this would be the ideal fix since this kid has got a lot of years ahead of him. They'll probably put him away until he's 21, then he'll be free to terrorize society until he gets caught again. I wish the article had mentioned how old he is.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   

No, just not use craigslist... it's easier.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   

I wish I answered this kids ad...The hunter would of became the hunted.
I'm not surprised though...pretty sad when something like this is everyday news.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Here's an article from 2009:
news.gaeatimes.com...

MINNEAPOLIS — The chief executive of Craigslist has a message for people who try to use the popular Internet advertising site to commit crimes: You’re going to get caught.

Violent crimes linked to Craigslist ads in Minnesota and Boston have made headlines, but CEO Jim Buckmaster said Wednesday the site is an “extremely unsafe venue for criminal activity because you’re virtually guaranteeing that you’re going to get caught.”

“That’s been the case with nearly every serious violent crime that’s been connected with the site,” Buckmaster said in a telephone interview from San Francisco, where Craiglist is based. “There’s an electronic trail leading to yourself. So don’t use Craigslist for crime unless you want to go to jail.”

A Minnesota man was sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole this month for the 2007 slaying of Katherine Ann Olson, who answered a phony ad he posted for a baby sitter. This week, a 23-year-old Boston University medical student was charged with robbing women who advertised erotic services on Craigslist and killing one of them, Julissa Brisman.

“We were shocked and saddened to learn that a horrific crime like this had any connection to the use of Craigslist, and our hearts went out to the family and friends of Julissa Brisman,” Buckmaster said.

Buckmaster said the attention Craigslist has received because of crimes linked to it is partly a function of how heavily the site is used and the relative newness of the Internet.

“There are 50 million people using the site every month, and the site has facilitated billions of human interactions over its history. Compared to human society as a whole the risks of Craigslist are low, but they’re not zero,” he said.

Buckmaster declined to say much about how Craigslist is cooperating with authorities investigating the Boston case but said, “We make ourselves 100 percent available to them and provide them with any and all information we have that they may request.”

Then, there's been an alternative study from one of Craigslist's rivals:
technolog.msnbc.msn.com...

Oodle couldn't have hired a better research group to find fault with Craigslist; even when it tries to give the benefit of the doubt to Craigslist, AIM can't help but be back-handed.

To be absolutely fair, Craigslist as an entity can't be blamed for the things that happen among its users. It's merely a facilitator of commerce, after all. And we understand thousands or even tens of thousands of transactions happen safely between Craigslist aficionados. Long before Craigslist, even, robberies were linked to newspaper classifieds from time to time. But that's no longer an excuse that Craigslist can hide behind.

Comments like this had the immediate effect of making Craigslist CEO Jim Buckmaster go ballistic in his response.

"Classified listings scraper/aggregator and CL wannabe Oodle has paid AIM Group to falsely portray Craigslist as fraught with criminal activity," Buckmaster told the Los Angeles Times. "If you strip away the false (and defamatory) paid-for editorial however, and look at the numbers AIM uses, a very different story emerges."

Sorry, that wasn't the ballistic part. This is the ballistic part.

Sounds scary until you compare that number to the 570 million classified ads posted by 100 million or more U.S. Craigslist users during that same time span, generating literally BILLIONS of human interactions, many involving face-to-face meetings between users who do not know one another," Buckmaster said. "AIM Group facetiously writes 'we understand thousands or even tens of thousands of transactions happen safely between Craigslist aficionados.'

THOUSANDS??? Shame on you AIM Group (and Oodle). You know better. Try HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS or BILLIONS of safe transactions.

In this war of words between the CEOs, Donato has also posted his responses on the Oodle blog.

But, he also told us this in this morning's phone interview: "At the end of the day, this study highlights a big problem in our industry, potentially dangerous outcomes, and that there are alternative solutions they should know about."

He doesn't put the blame for the crimes on Craigslist. "I'm saying it's not their fault ... but I found the comments they made are odd. I don't know why, maybe they responded too quickly. Calling the data here insignificant doesn't make a lot of sense to me. It's clearly significant ... worthy of discussion. It's not an inappropriate message to get out. This is a problem and there are ways to address the issue."

Bottom line?
If someone is messed up in the head, they're going to find any and every avenue available to them to get whatever they seek. People just need to be careful.
edit on 21-1-2012 by Afterthought because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   

No, just not use craigslist... it's easier.

but this sweet puppy may need your help

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Notice how the kid is using the dog to cover his face.

I think it's a wierd picture. He couldn't have just taken a photo of the dog sitting on the floor? It almost seems as though he wanted to be in the picture, too.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Afterthought

Notice how the kid is using the dog to cover his face.

I think it's a wierd picture. He couldn't have just taken a photo of the dog sitting on the floor? It almost seems as though he wanted to be in the picture, too.

now that you mention it

this whole thing would have been
really weird if he had tried to use
that dog as the weapon

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by AwnAegisean

You poor sap. Why don't you try the backpage?

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Was the kid 'trolling'?

We're all familiar with trolling of the internet sort, where people online will get their jollies by getting a rise out of people online.

It's becoming more and more common, however, for people that this kind of activity appeals to to take this 'trolling' into real life, typically with video so they can put it on youtube.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by nineix

Although I see where you're coming from, there is a big difference between getting an emotional response from someone and making them think they're going to die.

Imagine if this kid actually had a mean pit bull or rottweiller and when the person came to see the cute little dog, he said, "Sure, he's here in the garage." Then, when the person stepped inside, he shut the door.

I doubt this kid was filming this since I believe we'd have heard if he was holding a video camera while he was chasing them, so I think this was for his own jollies. Pretty sick and twisted knowing that he enjoys planning, deceiving, and scaring women into thinking they're going to die. I'll go head to head with a simple petty troll any day.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join