It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Know Your Limits - Man Who Planned Year Long Survival Challenge Found Dead a Month Later

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

Do not suppose there is a chance he had some connections with Aldermaston. Porton Down or GCHQ, as his behaviour seems a little strange, Not to take a phone is just silly.
Also what was his wife thinking? Ok, of you go, see you in a year!
For a site of conspiracy bods, does none of this seem at all strange?

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Good advice thus far here. Unfortunately wilderness survival is one of those things that when it doesn't work out like on TV it can be very bad.

Try to plant a garden like you see on TV. If that doesn't go well you'll end up with weeds and have to go to the store for veggies.

Try to fix a leak like you see on TV. If that doesn't go well you'll end up with a wet floor and a bill from the plumber.

Try to survive in the wild like you see on TV. If that doesn't go well you'll end up dead.

Its really quite the leap.

As others have said, such things are best done in small doses with redundant, easy and quick bail out methods available.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by dowot
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

Do not suppose there is a chance he had some connections with Aldermaston. Porton Down or GCHQ, as his behaviour seems a little strange, Not to take a phone is just silly.
Also what was his wife thinking? Ok, of you go, see you in a year!
For a site of conspiracy bods, does none of this seem at all strange?

I'm guessing he was single.

And he died only a few miles from a youth hostel. Next to a railway line. Hardly the most remotest of places in the Highlands.

Why would not taking a mobile phone make any difference? Not even sure what of any reception there is in that area.

He does however sound rather naive.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Essan

Hi Essan.

Lovely part of the world you inhabit.

Part of "Frogs" quote.. "Mr Austin had told his family", which I must admit I read as wife etc, but of course could have been parents, etc. Trouble with being old, tend to think old.

Your right about reception, but at least for a few dark nights he would have been able to play any games he had on the phone. _javascript:icon('
')

Seriously, there are some major pieces of equipment that anyone should take when out in the wild, even if only a walk and a phone is one of those,
edit on 21-1-2012 by dowot because: Removing inappropriate LOL's

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Maybe he was on a suicide trip. Sounds like there were a lot of places around to walk to. If he wasn't then naive is an understatement. For $200.00 he could have taken a SPOT with him and gotten rescued for free at the press of a button.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Frogs

appologies for being blunt - but mr Austin was a feeble minded darwin award candidate .

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Sure, by Tummel and Loch Rannoch and Lochaber I will go, By heather tracks wi' heaven in their wiles; if it's thinkin in your inner heart braggart's in my step, You've never smelt the tangle o' the Isles. Kenneth MacLeod 1871 - 1955 Folklorist and Minister in Gigha and Colonsay

I think he was stupid in not getting someone to check up on him as mobile reception is virtually non existent in those places and bar a satellite phone there is not a lot he could have done without that.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Could have been a disguised suicide to ensure his family still got an insurance payment.
Unrelatedly, there was a case in 2008 where a senior police officer committed suicide by dying of exposure on Snowdon in Wales (link below).

BBC News

edit on 21/1/12 by Insomniac because: Spelling

edit on 21/1/12 by Insomniac because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Frogs

I'll put this one right up there with Grizzly Man under "I See Stupid People"

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reminds me of this guy...

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   
As an experience day-hiker, I can say with confidence that I was always aware that most of the places I hiked would be a challenge to survive in if I were doing more than day-hiking. Think: Is there drinkable water to be had nearby? Any food resources around? Are there rocks in the trail for you to sprain an ankle on? Could you make it through the night if you were unable to hike out?

It can get dicey even for a day-hiker. One afternoon, I tarried too long, made a wrong trail detour, it got too dark to get to my car down a steep, sketchy side trail, and I ended up hiking out at night, keeping to the trail only because it was slightly darker than the forest litter, and because of the occasional smell of "road apples."

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   
It's too bad, this is a reminder how unforgiving mother earth can be. I certainly appreciate the advances in modern science.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Live off the land ? That's military-speak for raiding garden veg and pinching live chickens ?

Anyhow in his favour it wouldnt have been much of a survival challenge , if he didnt die. He just lost his own... year long, survival challenge.

I guess he didnt plan well enough

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Frogs

THAT'S REALLY SAD, BUT Grylls cheats

How Bear Grylls the Born Survivor roughed it - in hotels
www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   
This proves my point "TSHHTF" where do you go? To the mountains it is winter and you plan on surviving , ya right stay in the city and be troop and gang fodder not if your dug in, come spring then move, but do you know your mountains? Are you ready for snakes, bears, cougars, and wolfs or coyotes, do you know what plants to eat?
Do you know the hills?
Are you going to put up your cabin in a avalanche zone come winter or a flood zone come next spring when there is run off, is the fresh meat safe to eat?
Do the wild animals have some bio, germ or bug you do not know about?

Saying and doing are two different things, is the water in the mountain spring safe to drink, are the fish in the lake safe to eat? there is no 911 to call, no cell phones and no help.

Your on your own if you do see some one are they friend or foe, do you know first aid?
You have fallen and broken you leg can you set it , bone sticking out what do you do , like some have could you cut off a limb and survive it?
Can you set traps or know where to put them, or skin, clean, and cook your taped game.? beaver, rabbit, musk rat,or otter?

Some harsh question to ask when the SHTF, what if you lose your "BOB" what do you do? Can you make a bow and arrow, a "lean too" do you know what flint looks like? Can you catch a fish with your hands? can you make fire from sticks or rocks, what are the signs of a sick deer, elk, moose, or rabbit?
Can you kill a bear do you know how to make a pike or a pike pit? do you know how to skin a wild pig/ boar or any of the above wild life?

Live along the coast do you know what red tide is? what shell fish are safe to eat? can you make a lobster trap? a fish net using kelp? or if your lucky from rope?

Lets say all goes well your lucky all of your plans and gear are in tact, you see a elk you take your shot, did you just set off an avalanche?

How many on here have known or been hunting before cell pones and got snowed in, deep woods, at knight and made it out with your game, by your self?
edit on 21-1-2012 by bekod because: editting

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   
A healthy respect for mother nature can lead to a long and happy life!
BTW...a review of your avatar pic reinforces this concept. While that little frog is cute and inviting, given its colorful skin pattern (i dont know for sure) it has great potenial to be poisonous as hell!

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Cosmic911

if it not a bull frog leave it be , grubs snails, worms, grass hoppers, and [berries, if you know what kind] will do just fine to keep you going to you get real food, fish, deer, elk, moose, Buffalo,or rabbit ect... remember this is when SHTF,

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Hypothermia can easily kill anyone, almost anywhere. .There are no suspicious circumstances about it being too cold to live. As far as I am aware it will gradually take you, or quickly when wet. Lessons to learn the easy way

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by bekod
reply to post by Cosmic911

if it not a bull frog leave it be , grubs snails, worms, grass hoppers, and [berries, if you know what kind] will do just fine to keep you going to you get real food, fish, deer, elk, moose, Buffalo,or rabbit ect... remember this is when SHTF,

Good advice! Did you ever see the movie "Into the Wild?" Where the main character eats the wrong plant and it subsequently kills him. Bad day! Talk about when SHTF!!

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frogs
One thing to consider in any survival situation is that you have to know your physical and mental limits. Sure, when it comes down to life or death you may be able to push a little more - or not.

As Dirty Harry said, "A man's gotta know his limitations."

Which brings me to this article, which spurred this thread..

Adventurer who wanted to live like Bear Grylls in Scottish wilderness for a year found dead in less than a month

A man found dead in a remote mountain hut was an adventurer who had planned a year-long Bear Grylls-style survival challenge in the Scottish wilderness.
In November, Mr Austin had told his family he was heading north to live rough off the land - something for which survival expert Bear Grylls has become famous.
It is thought Mr Austin had not even taken a mobile phone with him, leaving him entirely at the mercy of the harsh winter.
Survival school instructor Ian Moran, who teaches extreme survival and bushcraft skills, said it was extremely unlikely anybody could survive a Highland winter out of doors living off the land.

He said: 'It would be a tall order for even the most professional person who calls himself a survivalist. Maybe centuries ago, when Scotland was covered in woodland and teeming with wildlife, but not now.'

He said with key core skills - he teaches rabbit skinning, natural navigation and making rope from nettles -- someone should be able to survive 72 hours before rescue, depending on weather conditions.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Occasionally when I watch Bear Grylls I pick up something useful. Most of the time I sit and I think, "I'd be dead in an hour if I tried to do that..." That's because I'm in nowhere near as good a shape as Bear, I don't have the extent of his training, and I've never had a camera crew with me to back me up if things get shaky.

Know your limits, most of us are not Bear, Les, Dave or Cody. I'm not going to knock all of those shows as I think the do have some value. But, I do think they often paint a more rosy picture of survival situations than is often the case.

This is because humanity has been weakened by technology. We're no longer as hardy as we once were. Most women nowadays couldn't give birth without drugs or a c-section. Most people couldn't survive summer without air condition or winter without electric or gas powered heat. Most people would starve because they can't hunt or fish and as in the case of GB, guns outlawed so i hear, so that leaves that out of the equation.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join