It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mathematics: Plato: 2 is a division of 1

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 03:40 AM
link   
This is what I read in the book: Mysterieschools.

There's a part about Plato.

1: Complete, all, everything -> 1
To get 2 we must divide one. Two is a division of 1.
Just like 3, 4,5,6,7,8,9,10...etc..

It's like a twist of mind. To receive 2 by adding 1 to 1 hasn't got the same satisfaction as dividing 1.

It makes the other numbers like subordinate to 1. One is the highest number. Does it do the crazy things in your mind like it did with me?

ah well..

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 03:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by etherical waterwave

It's like a twist of mind. To receive 2 by adding 1 to 1 hasn't got the same satisfaction as dividing 1.

It makes the other numbers like subordinate to 1. One is the highest number. Does it do the crazy things in your mind like it did with me?

ah well..

This is mathematically incorrect. I think you misunderstood the idea of a "whole" as being a numerical representation of the number 1(one).

Although they are semantically similar they are not the same.
edit on 21-1-2012 by mileysubet because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 03:55 AM
link   
reply to post by etherical waterwave

its fractal, 2 is always 2 but you can have 1 + 1 = 2 or 1 \ 0.5 = 2 and it's still 2, but if you take the 2 'ones' and cut each in halve, then you have 2 sets of 2 put together to make 2.... if you get what I mean....fractal...

-TF

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 03:56 AM
link   
It would help to understand your observation if you could link or at least quote the text of which you are using as a reference.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 04:07 AM
link   
Multiplying by dividing happens in nature(cells divide etc). Multiplying by addition is just counting.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 04:27 AM
link   

ah well..

If i may chime in.
There are more serious problems with plato.
For one, any reference to organism, cells is invalid, as platos beliefe was you could know the universe just by thinking it out. No need for experiments or obaervations.
Pretty much opened the door for repressive religions, that KNOW better, and understand the universe better.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 07:43 AM
link   
if you divide 1 in half you get 1/2, sure you now have 2 fraction portions of an integer, but the inference here is ludicrous.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by rom12345
if you divide 1 in half you get 1/2, sure you now have 2 fraction portions of an integer, but the inference here is ludicrous.

Not ludicrous, IMO, it's all a matter of semantics. It doesn't change the world, it's just visualizing the same ol' mathematical concepts and using different verbiage and a different viewpoint to indicate the process. One pie cut in half is still 2 (in terms of pieces) or 1/2 (in terms of portions of the whole.)

Just another way of looking at things, kinda mind-broadening in a way. I like it!

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   
When it was mindbroadening it was definetly worth the share. It was that for me too! Awesome!!

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Hi, my husband asked me, whats 2 divided by 1 and i said 1. Then he asks whats 1 divided by 2 and i say .5 and .5 he said that is one. I am struggling with this. Its part of the one percent concept that when i joined this site i did want to discuss .But as i said i am stuggling with this and other aspects of the concept. I said in my introductory post my husband helped me pick my username and although he seems to know all about it, i am, it seems, very slow to work it out. When it comes to maths, that doesn't help much either as i left school early. Also i am hearing other things pertaing to the one percent and allthough i sense that these things all fit together somehow. Studying hard

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   
This is a never ending wormhole...divide 1 (one) and you have 2 (two) halfs!

You can divide forever until you have umtinequizzilion (my made up word for a number so big it's unimaginable) halfs!

Here is the question though...how many halfs to you need to make a whole?

I think you will find you have to have 2 (two) halfs to make 1 (one) whole!

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   

I believe Plato's "math" here was part of his larger "Good is One" concept from his "Unwritten Doctrines". I'm not certain it has mathematical value so much as it's part of a larger philosophical concept. I could be wrong about this as I haven't read the book you're reading.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Maybe Plato had a twiste side indeed..

Read it this way..

"It's like a twist of mind. To receive 2 by adding 1 to 1 hasn't got the same satisfaction as ripping 1 in half"

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Everything is 1, everything else is just a bunch of 1's, or variations of 1's.

It's all basically like a constant variable.
The only real question is, What is 0?

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by galadofwarthethird

My bank account...............................FTW

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Just to offer something more than a bad joke, I think its all about viewpoint. Context is everything here. If you ask a question from a particular angle, you will get an answer based on the question, from that angle. So the relationship between 2 of anything can be ever changing, such as the relationship between 1 and 2.

If I have 2 cats that's twice as much as 1 cat, but If I cut the 1 cat in half, I'd have 2 halves of a cat. Now if you asked me to offer up information regarding to the number of pieces on each side it would now be even. So its always going to be about context. Any other argument about the subject is nonsensical.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Try viewing 1, or whole and complete, as something such as a circle...... And 2 for example as what you have when you break it in half.... Changes a lot

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   
his postulation is not ludicrous but represents a change in how what he was taught manifested differently in how he comprehended or interpreted what he learned.

other numbers are a derivative of one and if you dont have the perception/realization of one you cannot add another.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 04:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by my1percent

Hi, my husband asked me, whats 2 divided by 1 and i said 1. Then he asks whats 1 divided by 2 and i say .5 and .5 he said that is one. I am struggling with this. Its part of the one percent concept that when i joined this site i did want to discuss .But as i said i am stuggling with this and other aspects of the concept. I said in my introductory post my husband helped me pick my username and although he seems to know all about it, i am, it seems, very slow to work it out. When it comes to maths, that doesn't help much either as i left school early. Also i am hearing other things pertaing to the one percent and allthough i sense that these things all fit together somehow. Studying hard

It's not that complicated. 0,5 on it's own is also a unity on itself which makes him say it is also 1. Do you understand? Very cool, after the post I thought about the concept myself and came to that conclusion. It was like I wasn't thinking, the thoughts just came up. I was like introduced into this knowledge. It pulls you in the hole to understand all about it.

Also, every number is in fact 2^1, 3^1; to the first power.

Enlighten!!

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 05:25 AM
link   
now I thought, because they are always to the first power. The first power always want to attract the value. It's like God. The mathematics you were never shown. I thought since they are to the first power they vibrate towards it becoming a unity on itself. Like a hierarchy of numbers okay then. But they never match God.
There's always a power upon the numbers. Numbers vibrate, yes they do only to lose themselves becoming one again. Number 1 is all you need for mathematics.

You must integrate this thinking in your life. It really does something.

It's like that way you can think yourself out of something. Ah, the first power always vibrates towards the other numbers. Number 1 is the only vibrating number capable of destroying numbers and give back their original vibration. Karma.

The other numbers who are on their own are good. But they are never 1. They are one but never one. Maybe one is the way, the truth and life. Maybe 1 is Jesus.

I can understand you won't have much to this. they must humble theirselves down to become with the 1 again. Or they are on a mission. We'll fight back. hehe

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join