It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia Presidential Candidate Prokhorov Calls For Single Global Currency

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 02:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by victor7
There is no need for such grand scale world unification.

Oh wow

While I have heard some people assert this before, I have never felt the need to agree to it.

Our species has already explored the planet to the point where further exploration has turned into nations accumulating resources from other nations, creating vast disparity. By this path, the next step would be for one global empire to emerge from the nation with the most influence and resources, and they will dictate world affairs.

I don't know about you, but I prefer not to have the world kundalini's capital as Washington, DC. The path that I advocate is to put an end to disparity by design via unification, and then to use the foward-moving momentum to continue exploration beyond the realm that we already have conquered as a species.

Is that so much to ask?
edit on 23-1-2012 by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 07:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi

Nobody in the west is going to unite the world. If they wanted to so then they would be working on it and not spending resources on attacking other countries one by one.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by victor7

Nobody in the west is going to unite the world. If they wanted to so then they would be working on it and not spending resources on attacking other countries one by one.

That's why the west isn't the solution. How could the solution be from the modernist view, when the modernists justify exploiting half of the world as "helping them develop". The only thing that the west is interested in is global hegemony of their own, with their culture as superior above all others.
edit on 23-1-2012 by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul

Originally posted by buddhasystem

It is apparent that currency can only be issued/backed by a sovereign organisation - as Europe is finding out - they will have to do something about the Euro by way of either abandoning it or having a single issuing organisation, which will then require powers of sovereignty.

The issue of Euro currency is managed by the European Central Bank. Even when national banks print euros, this happens within limits and within proportion set by ECB.

So they already have what you are saying they should have.

Except that the theoretical mechanism doesn't work, because sovereign nations like Greece, Spain and Italy, have flouted the limits, and there is nothing the ECB can do to stop them doing so.

So sovereignty trumps a central bank that has theoretical limits but no real ability to enforce them.

Well there is always room for trespass, I suppose. If you have links to sources showing how Greece and Spain printed more money that is prescribed by the limits, this will be appreciated.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

They borrowed it in excess of their debt guidlines - actual printed cash is only a small part of the money supply of course - the vast majority comprises what we might call electronic money - debt that is never actually turned into cash per se.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   

reply to post by buddhasystem

They borrowed it in excess of their debt guidlines - actual printed cash is only a small part of the money supply of course - the vast majority comprises what we might call electronic money - debt that is never actually turned into cash per se.

Well then, I disagree with this thesis, in that taking on debt is equivalent to printing cash or otherwise inflating the money mass. A system like that would never work. The central Bank does control how much euros are out there and sets limits to same. Debt is run against this virtual pool. That's why countries pitch in in order to replenish the effectively shrunk money supply at the time of crisis.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Is that so much to ask?

The reason why a global currency will not work for you and me, is actually the same answer to the question you asked above.
YES, it is too much to ask. Global currency solves nothing for the people. It puts the power of currency creation in the hands of a select few that always intended to rule the world. That is their intention, not "global unification" for some benevolent end.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by IronNuts

I think one thing that should be added to the global currency is that it be not attached with interest. Gold use to stand as the global standard and soon will be once again. Living in British Columbia you are lucky as many new gold mines are opening up. I suggest looking into Spanish Mountain Gold. They are currently putting in their plant and doing core samples around Spanish Lake north east of Likely, B.C.

As far as Prokhorov is concerned, from what I have learned, power corrupts, he is a billionaire and therefore a powerful person. He has the means to intimidate or finance his way through many situations that are unlawful or for that matter just indecent. I think for the most part you have to be of a different moral fiber to accumulate that kind of wealth. The people they need in office are the ones that were content with the basics and used their free time to help others in bettering their lives.

I believe most people assume that corporate lawyers and company ceo's are the best elects because they think a country should be run like a business. My work experience has showed me that companies don't care about the little guy and the populace are the pretext. I have seen construction companies that value life at less than $250,000. Why would you ever want people who over see businesses like the mentioned oversee a country?

The only way to take interest out of the equation is to eliminate profit. That is because as long as there are profitable enterprises in which to invest, your money should grow. If you lend it out at zero interest then it won't grow and and you lose that potential to profit. That is why interest exists in the first place - to replace opportunity cost.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 03:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by SurrealisticPillow

Is that so much to ask?

The reason why a global currency will not work for you and me, is actually the same answer to the question you asked above.
YES, it is too much to ask. Global currency solves nothing for the people. It puts the power of currency creation in the hands of a select few that always intended to rule the world. That is their intention, not "global unification" for some benevolent end.

I fail to see how it matters who creates a global currency, as long as it is the global standard. And on top of this, a global currency would be designed and produced under an international organization with officials from multiple countries (UN or whatever the successor to the UN will be).

What you're describing is exactly what I am trying to remedy. In the current world, one-sided players are trying to push their currency onto the rest of the world because if other nations trade in one nation's currency (like $USD), then it gives imperialist power to that one country. A global currency eliminates this whole problem because all nations, and all people regardless of nation or class level, will be using the same currency.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi
What you're describing is exactly what I am trying to remedy. In the current world, one-sided players are trying to push their currency onto the rest of the world because if other nations trade in one nation's currency (like $USD), then it gives imperialist power to that one country.

Sorry but you are making this up as you go. The US did not "push their currency" onto anyone. It's just in times of the US industrial might, you could easily buy pretty much anything from corn to refrigerators to even musical instruments using just the dollar. So it was a convenient way to trade.

A global currency eliminates this whole problem because all nations, and all people regardless of nation or class level, will be using the same currency.

What's up with the currency fetish? We've seen it in Europe that single currency does not necessarily lead to a balanced and well-governed economic landscape.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi
What you're describing is exactly what I am trying to remedy. In the current world, one-sided players are trying to push their currency onto the rest of the world because if other nations trade in one nation's currency (like $USD), then it gives imperialist power to that one country.

Sorry but you are making this up as you go.

Am I making this up? Or perhaps I have a different perception on the matter from that of a Western economist/businessman?

A global currency eliminates this whole problem because all nations, and all people regardless of nation or class level, will be using the same currency.

What's up with the currency fetish? We've seen it in Europe that single currency does not necessarily lead to a balanced and well-governed economic landscape.

What we've seen in Europe is that there is a lot of anxiety among EU players for full commitment to EU protocols, because some countries see themselves as above others.

The problems in Greece, Spain and Italy have been vastly overexaggerated by EU players like France and Germany. They do this in order to implement neo-liberal reforms within these countries, by forcing these countries to deregulate their government controls over the economy and de-nationalize industry so stronger EU nations can take over their industry. Without the Euro, these neo-liberal reforms would not even be a concern.

And above all else, we are talking about the EU, not the whole world. This example is beneath my entire point because a global currency would place all countries on the same economic standard.

You can bet your ass that we would have a global currency by now if we magically discovered that martians had their own currency, just so the Earth currency could be used as an economic domination tool over another planet's global economy. See my point? We don't have an external reason for a unifying global currency, but if we had a global currency then it would be unifying.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Dimitri,
A global currency does not empower the individual at all. When the U.S. allowed the international bankers, through deceit and fraud, to create the federal reserve, we started down the path to economic slavery. They knew what they were doing, we didn't. These few families issue the currency and charge the people interest on fiat money. Do you see a problem with that?
Are you advocating that an international organization create fiat currency but charge NO interest? Good luck with that.
There is NO way that the designs of these people for a global currency is to create fairness. It is about universal control of money and thus people.
The only fair monetary system is one that truly empowers a worker and a saver, and a global currency addresses neither.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by SurrealisticPillow
The only fair monetary system is one that truly empowers a worker and a saver, and a global currency addresses neither.

Well considering that I see the "worker" in the modern world as being the Third World to the imperialist First World, it makes sense to me to enforce the same economic currency on both worlds (which effectly is the whole world).

Money doesn't empower workers either; organization does.
edit on 25-1-2012 by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   

I agree that organization empowers the worker, but in many, many examples at least in the U.S., it empowered them TOO much because of the nature of greed and power. The union bosses are on the take, and they use the union dues to buy political favors, etc, etc.
It is unfortunate, but in my experience, humans are not much good with the reins of power. Give them local power, and they use public resources for private gain. Give them absolute power, or near absolute power, and they set about destroying sovereign nations for their own ends. The few create these financial "vehicles" or tools to steal wealth from present and future generations. "Barbarians At The Gate" is a book that documents how private equity firms destroy publicly owned corporations with the complicity of the CEO's in these companies. They do it because they can.
I have little faith in humans to oversee a global currency. I believe these few would abuse the trust, and do precisely what the federal reserve has done. That is, create money to sustain a pyramid scheme that should never have been built in the first place. THEY have billions/trillions, we have the debt.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   
The whole point of keynesian economics, is that if the economy is in recession, the interest rates are lowered, causing more economic activity and if the economy is overheating, interest rates are raised.

As interest rates control debt, economic activity is really leveraging and the more economic activity you create, the more leveraging takes place. After leveraging comes deleveraging, with bankruptcies, unemployment, budget deficits etc.

Every economy has a specific cycle, which is shaped by it's labourmarket, tax system etc.... The cycle can be influenced by other economies, depending on how much trade there is between economies, but they are fundamentally individual cycles.

The problem with the EURO for example, is that when Germany is in recession, Greece and Spain may be in an upturn, so when the european central bank lowers the EURO rates, it creates more economic activity in Germany but also more economic activity in Greece and Spain, causing the greek and spanish economies to overheat.

This is what happened from 2002 to 2005, when the euro rate was lowered by nearly half to help Germany.

A single global currency will cause billions of unemployed and keep virtually every country in a poor economic situation, either having interest rates too high or too low and never just right.

No thanks!
edit on 25-1-2012 by aaa2500 because: Clarification

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by aaa2500
The problem with the EURO for example, is that when Germany is in recession, Greece and Spain may be in an upturn, so when the european central bank lowers the EURO rates, it creates more economic activity in Germany but also more economic activity in Greece and Spain, causing the greek and spanish economies to overheat.

...and their governments to over-borrow to cover social programs.

That's the point -- if it were a single giant country, one currency is enough. But with non-uniformity in the level of development and various business cycles out of phase across countries, not having control over "local" currency is obviously counter-productive.

So I agree with you.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   

...and their governments to over-borrow to cover social programs.

Not always... Generally the higher economic activity adds to the taxable income creating surplusses or lowering deficits. That usually leads to someone deciding to lower taxes to placate their constituents, ensuring that the taxes collected during the next recession cannot meet expenses and thus leading to borrowing to cover social programs.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by aaa2500

Well what I gather from Greece situation, it was prolific spending by the govt, in reality unsupported by taxes, that drove them into the ground. They mentioned on the radio that tax evasion was common and one (not so significant) example was that nobody paid luxury tax on yachts. I know yachts won't save the economy, but it's an indicator of the attitude towards taxes, and enforcement of same.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   

reply to post by aaa2500

Well what I gather from Greece situation, it was prolific spending by the govt, in reality unsupported by taxes, that drove them into the ground. They mentioned on the radio that tax evasion was common and one (not so significant) example was that nobody paid luxury tax on yachts. I know yachts won't save the economy, but it's an indicator of the attitude towards taxes, and enforcement of same.

Absolutely, Greece has been running deficits and doled out money right and left for decades, but during the upturn before the 2007 crisis, the greek central bank needed to be able to increase the interest rate, to decrease the economic activity, but was unable to do just that as the EURO interest rate is controlled by the european central bank. This made the situation much MUCH worse.

The focus on the other things, retirement age, deficits, public pensions, ineffective legal system etc, is just smoke and mirrors to hide the fact that the EURO is fundamentally flawed. Almost all media in Europe is pro-EU, almost all politicians are Pro-EU and all of the banks and large companies are Pro-EU.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by aaa2500
A single global currency will cause billions of unemployed and keep virtually every country in a poor economic situation, either having interest rates too high or too low and never just right.

No thanks!

Then create a global standard that all people have access too, but also keep national economies. It's time for humanity to view itself as a world and there needs to be universal reforms and innovations to make it so, currency being one of them.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join