It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Administration Says No to Oil, Yes to Biofuels

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by apodictic
reply to post by xuenchen

Doesn't take a "lawyer" or "nuclear rocket scientist"
...just some common sense...

Cellulosic ethanol (not sure how you had trouble with those basic ideas behind "cellulose" and "ethanol"
)

Municipal solid waste (Municipal = relating to a town...and...well...solid waste is self explanatory..)

Ohhh the conspiracy

Look, I don't like Obama just as much as the next guy, but there's not some ridiculous evil alternative agenda behind every move he makes. This is a good idea...

It's possible,

But HOW ?

Some real time data is in order.

Is there enough material to replace oil ?

And most important, what else gets affected ?

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Why do you have a problem with this? Do you have family in oil, or are you just being anti-Obama?

Investing in alternate energy research is a good thing. Aren't the republicans always saying how we have to bring America back to the forefront of innovation?

What does any of this have to do with Nazis for Christ sake?

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by spinalremain
Why do you have a problem with this? Do you have family in oil, or are you just being anti-Obama?

Investing in alternate energy research is a good thing. Aren't the republicans always saying how we have to bring America back to the forefront of innovation?

What does any of this have to do with Nazis for Christ sake?

Is it trustworthy.

Or is it another Obamascam.

Some proof is in order.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Can you list some previous Obamascams? I need to tell my friends about all these Obamascams! I need to convince them that oil is the only way to create jobs and energy in this country and that this plan by Obama is just another scam!

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Ethanol is absolutely the wrong fuel to make.

Ethanol fuel has a "gasoline gallon equivalency" (GGE) value of 1.5 US gallons (5.7 L)

This means the fuel efficiency of one gallon of gasoline will get you about 30% more miles then Ethanol fuel.

This amounts to a hidden tax on fuel as you are taxed by the gallon.

It would be far better to use the same waste celulose along with trash and sewage to make butanol that gives you almost the same gas mileage as gasoline and is a old process that is proven.
en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...

In the long run this would solve the landfill problems in the US and remove the problems of sewage in the US.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 12:01 AM
link   
This is absolutely as corrupt as it gets. gee lets see what ol' Tom Vilsack did before this

Thomas James "Tom" Vilsack (pronounced /ˈvɪlsæk/; born December 13, 1950) is an American politician, a member of the Democratic Party, and presently the U.S. Secretary of Agriculture. He served as the 40th Governor of the state of Iowa.

Really ....Iowa Governor...... insider much...... i hate these scumbags.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
And next it'll be ``turning food into fuel`` to make sure that more people starve to death.

What about turning COAL into liquid fuel instead?

What about legalizing hemp and making biofuel out of that? Rudolph Diesel did it almost 100 years ago. It makes a superior biodiesel fuel over any other substance, and it's a renewable resource.

Our gubment is collectively about as smart as a doorknob. A wooden one.

/TOA

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   
I can agree with this, Bio-fuels and Ethanol is basically turning waste into fuel, cheap and environmental friendly. The faster we free ourselves form Oil and coal the faster we don't have to deal with the middle east anymore. I'll give Obama a point on this however he still in the negative.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Throwback

Can you list some previous Obamascams? I need to tell my friends about all these Obamascams! I need to convince them that oil is the only way to create jobs and energy in this country and that this plan by Obama is just another scam!

Solyndra and related scams are relavent.

The Solyndra loan controversy is a political controversy involving U.S. President Barack Obama's administration's authorization of a $535 million loan guarantee to Solyndra Corporation in 2009 as part of a program to spur alternative energy growth.[1][2][3] Solyndra and the White House had originally estimated that this government guarantee of Solyndra's financing would help to create 4,000 new jobs.[1] In early September 2011 the company ceased all business activity, filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy, and laid-off nearly all of its employees.[4][5] The government then had to pay back the loan it had guaranteed.

Critics claimed that the Obama administration had unduly influenced awarding the loan guarantee.[6][7][3] Others have noted that the Solyndra loan guarantee process was a multi-year process begun during the George W. Bush Administration.[8][9] Solyndra loan controversy

Obama and his staff did not avert the problem and it cost jobs, not to mention it did not create any at all !

The Money Guys are not concerned about anything else but Money

The OP article is questioning the jobs creations/non-creations and possible corruption that will be exposed (again and again .... again)

Plus that, how many acres and tons will it take to replace petroleum ?

May not even be possible !!

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by tracer7
This is absolutely as corrupt as it gets. gee lets see what ol' Tom Vilsack did before this

Thomas James "Tom" Vilsack (pronounced /ˈvɪlsæk/; born December 13, 1950) is an American politician, a member of the Democratic Party, and presently the U.S. Secretary of Agriculture. He served as the 40th Governor of the state of Iowa.

Really ....Iowa Governor...... insider much...... i hate these scumbags.

Good One !

Now we know why Iowa is involved.

I wonder if Mr. Vilsack is even at all concerned about "energy" ?

Money makes people believe lies.

That pipeline would get more jobs total and sooner IMO.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   
The U.S.A. consumes more than 19,000,000 barrels of oil per day as it is.

That's 19 Million barrels per day

How much material would be needed to replace all that ?

Is it possible ?

Let's get real.

Oil Consumption - CIA

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   
This is just part of the plan to create an energy crisis so that the government can take over the energy infrastructure. Several mentions about consumption of 19,000,000 bopd that 60% is imported. No one ever mentions that the oil is imported by private companies delivering a product to a willing consumer. When that genius of domestic and foreign policy, James Earl Carter, got involved we only imported 25% of our needs we had gas lines. Here is what the Obmunists are doing to our energy infrastructure.

1) Shut down Yucca Mountain Nuclear Waste storage- no nuclear power
2) Imposing Cap & Trade by bureacratic fiat- may shut down, if unopposed, as much as 50% of coal fired electrical power.
3) Although small they are methodically shutting down hydroelectric power and removing dams, the only economical form of renewable energy. (Might mention has dual effect of creating water problems)
4) Backing Specious attacks on hydraulic fracturing to prohibit availability of abundant natural gas resources.
5) Continue putting federal lands into non-development .
6) Illegally prohibited drilling in gulf using specious arguements, where now it doesn't matter the rigs are gone. Drilling in gulf off Cuba and Brazil.

For the morons that believe this can be replaced with windmills and biodiesel, I highly suggest that you buy some really warm blankets.

When they start dragging frozen Grandmas out for the cameras, I can hardly wait for the senatorial show trials so that they can deny responsibility.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   
and people have a problem, with this ?

really ?

some biofuels come from waste oil from restaurants. and it's better for mother earth

but since a democrat did it it's bad !

it's evil !

what a joke

where were you when the republicans were sabotaging the economy to win the white house ?

talk about an agenda

that's treason

bet you were ok with it

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

I can agree with you here.
Seems both BP and DuPont are already working on this too.
From one of your links:

Producers

DuPont and BP plan to make biobutanol the first product of their joint effort to develop, produce, and market next-generation biofuels....

However, from the same wikipedia article:

Butanol is toxic at a rate of 20g per liter and may need to undergo Tier 1 and Tier 2 health effects testing before being permitted as a primary fuel by the EPA.

Anyhow, same article also states:

According to DuPont, existing bioethanol plants can cost-effectively be retrofitted to biobutanol production.

So maybe it would make sense to start out with building plants for ethanol production as a stop-gap measure, get the technology online so to speak, then convert over to biobutanol at a later date after it's issues have been addressed?

I don't know which way to lean. Getting USA off oil shouldn't hurt; if it can be done in a way that doesn't adversely impact the people, even better.
edit on 1/21/2012 by abecedarian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Biofuels cost too much to make and aren't worth it.
Biofuels burn the food supply and make the cost of food rise.
Biofuels cause more poverty and more people go hungry.

on Biofuels.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   

I don't know if you're trying to be funny or not but I was not amused at all by what passed as your opinion.

So you think we should continue our dependence on foreign oil? Canada isn't part of the U.S just yet.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Sword

I don't know if you're trying to be funny or not but I was not amused at all by what passed as your opinion.

So you think we should continue our dependence on foreign oil? Canada isn't part of the U.S just yet.

I Never said it in the OP, but you just did.

Please show me how and where it can even be done.

I am concerned about the political and finacial corruption that has already happened and may very well be in play with this single report.

@The Sword:

So you think we can actually replace oil ?

I truly hope we can.

But I need credible proof, not finacial and political gain Bee-Ess.

And the jist is about jobs anyway. The article says that.

How would you propose to replace 19 million barrels of oil per day with a substitute ?

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Well, if Obama now is preaching the use of biofuels and not oil..he'd better not go to Dallas in November, because we ALL know what happens to president's that say anything against oil or the Federal Reserve or war and then visit Dallas dont we....

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Maybe CNN thought you would have the ability to google any keyword you didn't understand? News articles aren't in the habit of publishing an explanation of every strange/unfamiliar words they use in an article- they assume if you are that interested you will do some research yourself.

I recall hearing that those "20,000" are mostly just temp jobs. But I do not have a source for that.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

This biofuel is being produced by municipal waste. Its not corn ethanol.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join