It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Australians possibly taken Hostage

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 06:26 PM
link   
It appears that 2 Australians have been taken hostage in Iraq in an attempt to have Australia withdraw from the area.

www.theage.com.au
A statement attributed to the Horror Brigades of the Islamic Secret Army, handed to reporters in the Sunni Muslim stronghold of Samarra yesterday, gave Australia 24 hours to pull its troops out of Iraq, or the hostages would be executed.

The statement from the group warned: "One of our brave brigades ambushed civilian cars belonging to the American army on the motorway from Baghdad to Mosul.

"It took four prisoners - two Australians and two east Asian nationals who were working as security contractors for important people.

"We tell the infidels of Australia that they have 24 hours to leave Iraq or the two Australians will be killed without a second chance.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Although the kidnapping hasn't been confirmed officially it seems that the terrorists there are trying this tactic on every nation, it now appears to be Australia's turn.

[edit on 9-13-2004 by Valhall]

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Helen - I know you live in NZ. Has there been an official response to their demands from the Australian government? Are their families saying anything?

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 06:42 PM
link   

BBC news
In their statement about the alleged Australian hostages, circulated in the Sunni city of Samarra, purported militants said they had ambushed two US military vehicles on a road between Baghdad and Mosul.

They said Australian Prime Minister John Howard had to announce the withdrawal of troops personally.

"We tell the infidels of Australia that they have 24 hours to leave Iraq or the two Australians will be killed without a second chance," the statement was reported as saying.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Thats from the BBC NEWS website it's also said that It said two other people described as East Asians have also been abducted. And a video showning killing a Turkish hostage.

"In the video, the blindfolded victim identifies himself as Durmus Kumdereli, a lorry driver seized near the northern city of Mosul on 14 August."

[edit on 13/9/2004 by SE7EN]

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 06:49 PM
link   
It appears that the hostages have not even been tentatively identified at this stage, at least not publicly.

Will pass on updates as they come to hand.

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 09:12 PM
link   
I'm aussie and I haven't seen or heard anything about this on any of our media yet. Maybe something will pop up tonight or tomorrow.

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 09:27 PM
link   
the possible kidnapping has still not been confirmed...however comments the Prime Minister John Howard is making confirms he will not bow to any kidnappers.

"This organisation, I'm told, has a reputation for having in the past been involved in kidnappings, but also in the past being involved in hoaxes, so at this stage it is intensely worrying."

Mr Howard said a group which called itself the Horror Brigades of the Islamic Secret Army was "crazy enough and evil enough, more importantly evil enough, to do something like this".

He also said the decisions by Spain and the Philippines to withdraw their troops from Iraq after having terrorist attacks committed against them encouraged more attacks by terrorists."

source: www.theaustralian.news.com.au...

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 03:48 AM
link   
Seems to me that they don't really care what nationality people are when they kidnap them - the demands are tailored according to the nationality rather than the other way round.

Also, anybody who is still defending these people and justifying their actions as those of "Freedom Fighters" - they are calling themselves the "Horror Brigades of the Islamic Secret Army" - does that sound like the name of people who are fighting for their freedom or people who want to terrorize, bully and intimidate to achieve their aims?

What sickens me most about this is that, as Howard points out, if other countries didn't keep caving in to their demands they would have given up with this tactic months ago. Here's a classic example:

www.atsnn.com...

[edit on 14-9-2004 by mattpryor]

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 04:04 AM
link   

I'm aussie and I haven't seen or heard anything about this on any of our media yet. Maybe something will pop up tonight or tomorrow.

There has been a few newsbreaks during the day.
I think there hasn't been anything major because, they havn't formally
identified any Australians missing yet.

Have to wait and see what happens.

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 04:07 AM
link   
Goofus: it was on the news this morning, broke last night after the late news had finished. (AEST)

Apparently all the Aussies registered over there have been accounted for, so they still have no idea who these guys could be. But I imagine there would be a good deal over there who are not registered.

I also agree with matt, it does seem that they are grabbing random non-arab looking civilians, then finding out their nationality and figuring out some demands to make of those nations. (The French one was a big nudge in that direction). Will have to just wait and see with the ID though.

Would be nice if we could locate these guys and send some of the lads in to say gday, but unfortunately thats rather unlikely. I just hope these 'Horror' tards do a quicker job than they did with the Nepalese a few weeks ago.

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 04:17 AM
link   

Would be nice if we could locate these guys and send some of the lads in to say gday, but unfortunately thats rather unlikely

I wonder if anyone's thought of using undercover operatives equipped with tracking devices pretending to be civvies?

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 04:26 AM
link   
There are 64 Australians still unaccounted for in Iraq, according to
Foreign Minister Alexander Downer.
Out of the 154 Australians in Iraq 90 have been accounted for, of
all the 90 that were questioned none had said that anything untoward
had happened to any Australians that they know of.

"So far no information has turned up which leads us to conclude that Australians have been taken hostage," he said.

The above is a quote from Foreign Minister Downer.
Let's just hope this is a Hoax.
I will try and find out more as soon as I can.

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 04:34 AM
link   
On the news they were saying that 6 Australians are still unaccounted for.

new topics

top topics

join