It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can we get a new, stricter forum?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   
I was wondering if we could get a new forum based on 'general discussion/research/theories/debate' that is strictly monitored for civility and decorum. Don't get me wrong I won't like to see a 'super-strict' policy rolled out across all of ATS ( I think a heated discussion can do some good in a thread).

But I think it might me a good idea to have a forum for interlecual debate/research for either side if the argument without the hindrance of uninformed, "bring nothing to the table" posts.

A sort of hardcore forum were you can only post if you have some links, proof and or a sound argument.

ALS

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by ALOSTSOUL

A sort of hardcore forum were you can only post if you have some links, proof and or a sound argument.

ALS

There's the catch - who decides proof and/or sound argument?

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by ALOSTSOUL
I was wondering if we could get a new forum based on 'general discussion/research/theories/debate' that is strictly monitored for civility and decorum. Don't get me wrong I won't like to see a 'super-strict' policy rolled out across all of ATS ( I think a heated discussion can do some good in a thread).

But I think it might me a good idea to have a forum for interlecual debate/research for either side if the argument without the hindrance of uninformed, "bring nothing to the table" posts.

ALS

The entire forum is moderated for civility and decorum.

Please read: ALL MEMBERS: We expect civility and decorum within all topics

T&C is expected across all of ATS and BTS...even on ATS Live, we have to adhere to T&C.

There is a debate forum that one can sign up for, but still, T&C apply. DEBATE Forum
edit on January 20th 2012 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

I think what the OP is asking for is a specific forum where the guidelines are a tad tighter than the standard T & C.

Mods,like yourself, can only see so much, and much slips through the cracks, I see one-liners, off topics, posts that lack civility all the time, and the alert function can only help so much. I've used it a few times to no avail.

A stricter forum is not necessarily a bad thing. I know alot of more experienced members use RATS or Bully Pulpit when they want a more disciplined discussion, but they certainly get a lot less attention there and not everyone has access to those forums.

I'm with the OP here, its not a bad thing.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Possibly as a kind of official offline chat - whereby it's a discussion of all CURRENT topics and related past topics. I.e the new forum could be a meta-chat for the current threads.

Or a way to take discussions further without the risk of derailing the relevant thread.

I think it's a nice idea.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   
ATS is the most highly moderated site i frequent (i think thats a good thing).
of coarse theres a little idiocy that gets through. but if you want serious debate then start it.
then report one liner idiots like me who are just after stars.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   
How could it possibly be any stricter than it already is? I already have to bite my tongue on most threads and do not reply 99% of the time due to all the restrictions here. Even at that I have had 3 warnings for saying the most innocuous things. If I had any say in it the only restrictions would be on personal attacks.

Sheesh, don't encourage them. It's bad enough here already. Don't make it worse.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   
You have the option of the Debate forum or the Research forum, though with the research forum isn't really open for debate and the Debate forum is more one on one debate.

What your asking for is what the Bully Pulpit is supposed be but it doesn't get used often enough. There are very strict guidelines in place to gain access for the forum. Maybe that's why it doesn't get used often because it is a one and done type of strictness.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Ookie

Here's the thing.

You're on a private website with rules. You don't follow them and we see it, the posts get removed. It's really that simple. If you don't like the rules, there's a log out tab.

This might help you understand things just a little better...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Don't think it could get any stricter than that,other than your Sphincter.

Enjoy it as it is,I say.
It's good entertainment.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Yes can we make so that free speech is limited so much that I'm auto banned when I say something another person doesn't agree with? Thanks.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Ookie

I'm inclined to agree . . .

Now, there SEEMS to be a move afoot to

prohibit posts which are

OFFENSIVE to others. In other words, if a post is CIVIL but OFFENDS enough folks, it will be deemed against the T&C. I hope my understanding of this move is wrong. So far, that's how I understand it.

I don't see how that's workable at all.

Lots of folks--and a far higher percentage on ATS than anywhere else I frequent--lots of folks have had such serious degrees of ATTACHMENT DISORDER from not having enough loving affection from a loving dad the first 8 years of their lives . . .

that they are COMPULSIVELY ITCHING, ruthlessly and aggressively

SEEKING FOR ANY EXCUSE TO BE OFFENDED

--all the more so IF your perspective 'just happens' to be one they are EXTREMELY HOSTILE TOWARDS.

In that case, forgetting to wrap your post in 12 layers of rabbit fur and 24 layers of foam rubber can still send them screeching to the mods.

Sigh.

One of the best forums on the net limits things to NO PERSONAL ATTACKS.

Attacks on public figures and on non forum members are tolerated but no against forum members.

They are particularly strict in the religion forum against the use of "you" in a negative way. I think ATS could do better on that score.

And, on the DOUBLE STANDARD stuff.

Otherwise, the more PC ATS becomes, the more dysfunctionial it becomes, imho.

I still think a lot of folks need to go to a taxidermist and get a thicker skin and/or get a life . . . and/or grow up.

Sometimes it seems like a convention of whiners.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by BO XIAN

That's exactly it. Say something someone doesn't agree with and if enough people complain you get banned. That's what ATS has become and the mods don't care. The admins don't care. This site has become a complete joke and IM STILL ASKING TO BE BANNED so please do just rid me of this nonsense already.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tesclo
reply to post by BO XIAN

That's exactly it. Say something someone doesn't agree with and if enough people complain you get banned. That's what ATS has become and the mods don't care. The admins don't care. This site has become a complete joke and IM STILL ASKING TO BE BANNED so please do just rid me of this nonsense already.

You are funny,log off.
Really.
ATS doesn't control you.
It's just a forum of free thinking people.
You have control of your actions.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tesclo
reply to post by BO XIAN

Nobody forces anyone to be here. You can simply log out and never return.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Tesclo

Oh, I think they are reluctant to ban folks without very serious cause--usually repeated or extremely serious.

However, the incremental Political Correctness vocabulary/nonsense SEEMS to be creeping closer and closer to utter dysfunctional limitless whining with punitive results.

That's dismaying.

It is the nature of many folks' psychologies to BE CHRONICALLY OFFENDED--to live and breathe offense as a style of life as well as a major hobby and avocation. There's NO pleasing such folks.

Even if one agrees with 100% of everything they say (which would be REALLY IDIOTIC)

THEY WILL STILL complain because you agree with them TOO MUCH! Sheesh!

And for such folks to hold ATS hostage to their shrill whining and group/mass dust-throwing-in-the-air habits, is a real sad thing to observe to any degree and however frequently.

edit on 20/1/2012 by BO XIAN because: edit word & added lines.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 11:33 PM
link   
This thread has turned from a legitimate request into a whine fest.

Closing.

top topics

join