It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is PETA upset over this Gold Scarf? *spider pictures ahead*

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   
I came across this online and sometimes PETA just needs to go away. The is one of a kind scarf took 4 years and 1 million spiders to make!

They weren't just any spiders but the Nephila inaurata which is a native of Madagascar but also part of the Golden Silk Weave Orb Spider.This spider spins the most beautiful gold silk that is so light it doesn't even feel like you are wearing it. It is also stronger than kevlar. How awesome is that?!

I am not a fan of spiders by any means, most meet certain death if they cross my path. I feel bad but I just can't deal with spiders! These spiders however do spin some beautiful silks that we in turn make into some beautiful pieces of art or clothing as well. I consider this piece of clothing art! It's amazing what is made from what these spiders produce naturally. I am getting the creeps just looking at pics for this thread of this spider then I see what it can make. Almost makes me like them a little.....just a little

Part of the fascination with the process comes from the craftsmanship. The scarf alone required a commitment from 70 people with the ability to work on machinery not really employed since the 19th century in France. But Madagascar spider silk also has some otherworldly properties. For instance, it's virtually weightless so doesn't feel like anything. It's as close as you'll get to an invisibility cloak at this point. Amazingly, the material is also stronger than Kevlar. There's actually been research into developing a synthetic version for the military.

PETA doesnt think the way the spiders are treated is fair and they compare it to "factory farming." I honestly don't see what is so bad about how these spiders were treated. Doesn't PETA have anything else better to do?
PETA:

In an emailed statement, PETA spokesperson Nicole Deo compared the process to "factory farming" and called out the museum for supporting it.

"[Using silk that the spiders would normally have used to catch insects to feed themselves is as bizarre and unappealing as it is anti-environmental," writes Deo, who didn't say whether there are plans to protest the museum.

Protest the museum? I bet some will.

This is the process of how the silk is taken from the spider.

The task of silking a spider starts with a small machine — designed centuries ago when the first attempts to silk spiders were begun — that holds the spider down.

"The spiders are harnessed ... held down in a delicate way," Godley says, "so you need people to do this who are very tactile so the spiders are not harmed. So there's a chain of about 80 people who go out every morning at four o'clock, collect spiders, we get them in by 10 o'clock. They're in boxes, they're numbered, and then as they get silked, about 20 minutes later, they get released back into nature."

This doesn't sound so bad to me and it sure beats meeting the bottom of a shoe. The spiders aren't harmed and look at what they produce?! It's beautiful.

PETA seems to only complain about small little things. I never seen them on the news or in the papers form something they actually saved or a cause they actually helped. All they do is complain! If PETA came to my house they'd freak out, sorry I'm bigger you get squashed if you get in my space
If I was the right size for that spider I'd be dinner! Just ask this bird:

I just don't get PETA's thinking on things such as this. It's just a little much. If this is such great material and can be used to help people in the armed forces stay safe then it has good use. Mother nature does give us everything we need to survive, we just have to learn to respect it and it seems to me these workers did. It's not like they killed them afterwards, they released them.

Here is more on the silk itself

The main threads consist of 96 twisted silk lines. The brocaded patterns in the tapestry — stylized birds and flowers — are woven with threads made up of 960 spider silk lines.

Peers says they never broke a single strand, yet the tapestry is as soft as cashmere.

BEAUTIFUL!

I think I like spiders a little more.....

Spider Wranglers Weave...
Why is PETA upset over over this gold cape?

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

I agree, PETA goes too far at times. It's nobody's business if I want to wear leather pants under my fur coat, even though I don't own either. They had something to do with that fast food movie and I haven't been able to eat meat of any kind since.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   
I wonder how many women in PETA would pick up one of those spiders and take it outside if they met face to face

Does PETA actually do anything? or win their arguments in court? Or was it the "hip thang" back in the 90's when pamela anderson was still popular.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Magnificient

I agree, PETA goes too far at times. It's nobody's business if I want to wear leather pants under my fur coat, even though I don't own either. They had something to do with that fast food movie and I haven't been able to eat meat of any kind since.

Yea they do.

I have leather but I don't own any fur. IMO It's kind of tacky lol. I never liked fur coats all that much. Boots with some fur, sure but full on fur is just not my style but if it was then it's nobody else's business.

I had a pair of heels years ago that were made of snake's skin. They were beautiful and my choice to purchase and wear

I respect animals and I don't go out and purposely kill them but if you come in my house well sorry you might just not make it, esp spiders. Also if it happens to be made into a bag I admire after its untimely demise too bad
PETA should worry about real animal issues and stop being so petty and annoying.

Are you talking about Food Inc? I have seen that yes.

I still eat my chicken. Nothing is going to take me from my chicken unless the apocalypse happens
Chicken is one of the few meats I eat often. I have red meat a few times a month and that is it.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by LoonyConservative
I wonder how many women in PETA would pick up one of those spiders and take it outside if they met face to face

Does PETA actually do anything? or win their arguments in court? Or was it the "hip thang" back in the 90's when pamela anderson was still popular.

Haha yea none of them would but I bet you they would want one of those scarfs if they were available
I bet many PETA people wear things they are suppose to be against.

HAHA you could be right on the last part. I havent seen them do anything but complain.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   

When i went to Culinary School, the first thing I did after touring a few slaughter house Kill Rooms was to go to a steakhouse and order a fat, juicy steak lol.

What a beautiful piece they made from that silk! PETA....yea....not my favorite group...

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   

PETA kills more companion animals then it does find them homes. They are in my mind the most hypocritical organization in America. My fiances runs a no-kill animal shelter (Pets Alive Westchester) and she said she would spit in the face of anyone who endorses or contributes in donations to PETA.

PETA is a joke and should have a judicial cease and desist order for blatantly imploring donations to help "save animals" and also pay their high profile spokespeople (Pam Anderson, Chad Ochocinco, Alec Baldwin, Paul McCartney, etc.).

As far as the silk, I am scared to death of spiders and wouldn't go near that scarf lol. My hatred for spiders is that deep.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 06:53 PM
link   
I love spider silk. the stuff is beyond amazing.
I had an opportunity to handle a small handkerchief made from spider silk and the material is absolutely wondrous.
It's like smoke, or nothing, yet so strong, and beautiful.

There's currently efforts to hybridize silkworms with spider genes allowing silkworms to spin spider silk.
Silk worms and spider silk

Lovely amazing fantastic stuff.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   

I would buy that in a heartbeat. Absolutely stunning. (And if you hate spiders, don't move to NY or GA. NY has brown recluse spiders. Poisonous suckers. My stepmother got bit by one, and had to have a small part of her skin removed because it atrophied or whatnot. It'd been a looooong time so memory is hazy. GA has hissing wolf spiders. Yeah, as weird as they sound. They're brownish things and if you get near one, all of a sudden you hear this hissing noise. So freaky and weird. As much as I loved GA for the weather, GA has some weird bugs. They had what was known as "Palmetto Bugs". Now let's not go by the nice sounding "Palmetto", let's call a spade a spade. They're flying cockroaches. Goody!! You also got the June bugs. Called that because they come out and mate in the air around May through July and can stick to your car like mud! And once they stick, you better wash them off FAST otherwise, they'll strip the paint off your car, as fast as they stick to it, with the acid from their bodies. Definitely some weird bugs in GA.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   
P Petition of
E Eating
T Tastey
A Animals

S&F, even bought the T-Shirt, the pictures of animals includes a human( wearing a pro PETA shirt) they taste good as well. Owwww, burn!

edit on 20-1-2012 by AK907ICECOLD because: whoops

edit on 20-1-2012 by AK907ICECOLD because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-1-2012 by AK907ICECOLD because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-1-2012 by AK907ICECOLD because: Can't spell today

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 07:01 PM
link   
PETA needs to quit making a mockery out of Animal Rights. They are on the extreme side, with not believing in anyone should own animals, use animals at all for products whether or not they are being abused(such as with the spiders), use in entertainment or eat animals. Early in their "career" they did expose the fact and brought attention to issues which in turn brought about change. How about advocating the alternatives?! Their attitude now is clearly ill intent and for profit.

edit on 20-1-2012 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   
They have milk cows don't they? Same idea methinks.
Silly PETA picking useless fights.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by MeesterB

PETA does not drink milk silly, they boil _____ and pine needles in hot water for protein.....pine for the taste, and supply bark for the substitution of bacon. I am not kidding when I say I just pan fried at least a pound of bacon for the family for tonight's dinner, no coincidences!

Fill in the blank for whatever you want, its not meant for vulgarity per T&C rules.

hmmm, my word is egg??LOL?? But it comes from a chicken does that still qualify in this post reply?

Much love, and pray for those pro PETA, help others when help is due!

edit on 20-1-2012 by AK907ICECOLD because: spelling is horrible today

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by olliemc84

PETA kills more companion animals then it does find them homes. They are in my mind the most hypocritical organization in America. My fiances runs a no-kill animal shelter (Pets Alive Westchester) and she said she would spit in the face of anyone who endorses or contributes in donations to PETA.

PETA is a joke and should have a judicial cease and desist order for blatantly imploring donations to help "save animals" and also pay their high profile spokespeople (Pam Anderson, Chad Ochocinco, Alec Baldwin, Paul McCartney, etc.).

Agreed! I have never liked them because they are hypocritical. If you are going to go for a cause try and practice what you preach so to speak.

As far as the silk, I am scared to death of spiders and wouldn't go near that scarf lol. My hatred for spiders is that deep.

That is deep hatred

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by nineix

I love spider silk. the stuff is beyond amazing.
I had an opportunity to handle a small handkerchief made from spider silk and the material is absolutely wondrous.
It's like smoke, or nothing, yet so strong, and beautiful.

There's currently efforts to hybridize silkworms with spider genes allowing silkworms to spin spider silk.
Silk worms and spider silk

Lovely amazing fantastic stuff.

That is amazing!

Mother nature sure is awesome! These spiders are quite frightening to some people such as myself yet look at what they produce! If a spider only knew! I just still can't get past the creep factor

Thanks for the link. I'm going to have to read the rest of that article. I love that site too btw

I check it out often and find many interesting articles on there.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by happyhomemaker29

I would buy that in a heartbeat. Absolutely stunning. (And if you hate spiders, don't move to NY or GA. NY has brown recluse spiders. Poisonous suckers. My stepmother got bit by one, and had to have a small part of her skin removed because it atrophied or whatnot. It'd been a looooong time so memory is hazy. GA has hissing wolf spiders. Yeah, as weird as they sound. They're brownish things and if you get near one, all of a sudden you hear this hissing noise. So freaky and weird. As much as I loved GA for the weather, GA has some weird bugs.

I live in Florida and we have brown recluses as well as wolf spiders. OMG those things make me have heart failure. I usually end up screaming and then shaking and crying, no joke. I don't like spiders. Had TOO many "jump" out at me as a kid and they weren't small! So I think that did me in for life lol

These are our spiders Florida Wolf Spider. This thing has traumatized me more times than I can count. LOL.

They had what was known as "Palmetto Bugs". Now let's not go by the nice sounding "Palmetto", let's call a spade a spade. They're flying cockroaches. Goody!! You also got the June bugs. Called that because they come out and mate in the air around May through July and can stick to your car like mud! And once they stick, you better wash them off FAST otherwise, they'll strip the paint off your car, as fast as they stick to it, with the acid from their bodies. Definitely some weird bugs in GA.

HAHA oh yea I know palmetto bugs allll to well. Those things will make you do a funny dance like you got stuck in a spiders web! Yea they will fly right into your hair and get stuck! THAT will freak you out. I know it has happened. lol I had a friend of mine who moved from up north to FL and she had never seen a lizard before, well she flipped. I told her wait til she sees a palmetto bug.

Yea we have some crazy bugs too! Yup June Bug, little bastard! We have some creepy crawlies that make my skin crawl! I am not an insect fan at all. I prefer snakes and lizards lol

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 11:42 PM
link   

I'm talking about "Fast Food Nation" with Bruce Willis and several other stars. It's very graphic and let's you know exactly how a McDonald's hamburger is made. It's disgusting and I haven't had meat for nearly three months. I could kill for a cow, but then I wouldn't be able to eat it.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Magnificient

I'm talking about "Fast Food Nation" with Bruce Willis and several other stars. It's very graphic and let's you know exactly how a McDonald's hamburger is made. It's disgusting and I haven't had meat for nearly three months. I could kill for a cow, but then I wouldn't be able to eat it.

I havent seen that. I am not a fast food eater, it always makes me feel like crap afterwards. I do like my BK here and there but it's about once a month if that.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by happyhomemaker29

I would buy that in a heartbeat. Absolutely stunning. (And if you hate spiders, don't move to NY or GA. NY has brown recluse spiders. Poisonous suckers. My stepmother got bit by one, and had to have a small part of her skin removed because it atrophied or whatnot. It'd been a looooong time so memory is hazy. GA has hissing wolf spiders. Yeah, as weird as they sound. They're brownish things and if you get near one, all of a sudden you hear this hissing noise. So freaky and weird. As much as I loved GA for the weather, GA has some weird bugs. They had what was known as "Palmetto Bugs". Now let's not go by the nice sounding "Palmetto", let's call a spade a spade. They're flying cockroaches. Goody!! You also got the June bugs. Called that because they come out and mate in the air around May through July and can stick to your car like mud! And once they stick, you better wash them off FAST otherwise, they'll strip the paint off your car, as fast as they stick to it, with the acid from their bodies. Definitely some weird bugs in GA.

I was bit by a brown recluse. The most horrifying thing I have ever went through, especially considering that I HATE SPIDERS!! Little bastard bit me on the inside of my thigh and it got so bad that I was hospitalized for a night on an IV and minor skin graphing needed to be done. My flesh was rotting. I never want to go through that again.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver
I just don't get PETA's thinking on things such as this. It's just a little much. If this is such great material and can be used to help people in the armed forces stay safe then it has good use. Mother nature does give us everything we need to survive, we just have to learn to respect it and it seems to me these workers did. It's not like they killed them afterwards, they released them.

Yes, one would think that they would have greater complaints against the regular silk production which involves boiling the cocooned worm to death in order to harvest the thread.

However, as often as not, what PETA attempt to do is lobby the Haute Couture houses to use their undoubted wealth and resources, wisely and ethically. It is all very well producing a single and highly expensive scarf, and draping it over a very desirable lady, but then, like snake skin shoes, and pashminas, everyone wants one. And before you know it, the local economies that produce these rare things have collapsed because everyone is concentrating on making these things for us and no-one is growing any food anymore. As most of the replies to this thread, and including the OP itself, clearly demonstrate, most people are far too self centred to think ethically as individuals, if it is there, they'll buy it. If it is 'cute' does it matter if something had to die for it...most people do not even consider how much resources goes into what they buy, let alone want to know the consequences of their buying and therefore supporting that process...so to protect the world from those people, PETA is very important as it keeps the manufacturers, who put the shiny things out there to distract you people, in check. Whether you are capable of understanding that or not.

new topics

join