It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

fukushima reactor,nuclear fuel missing! china syndrome?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Wow, they rilled the reactor and stuck in a scope, the fuel core is missing.
www.infowars.com...

This is a beyond bad approaching worst case scenario now, or am I just over reacting?

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by reddwhite

mdn.mainichi.jp...

This article goes into more detail. I don't think they are seeing anything they were not expecting, at least that is what I gathered from skimming the article.

The fuel inside the No. 2 reactor, as well as inside the No. 1 and No. 3 reactors, is believed to have melted through the pressure vessels and been accumulating in the outer primary containers

Harm None
Peace

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   
No surprise. Just what we need to do is start building these things in the middle east.

Chernobyl, Fukushima, here is a list of 33 serious incidents at nuclear power plants since 1952.

www.guardian.co.uk...

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by amazed
This article goes into more detail. I don't think they are seeing anything they were not expecting, at least that is what I gathered from skimming the article.

The fuel inside the No. 2 reactor, as well as inside the No. 1 and No. 3 reactors, is believed to have melted through the pressure vessels and been accumulating in the outer primary containers

That is correct, but it is still an extremely dangerous situation. Basically what happened in the early days is the water that was intended to keep the fuel rods cool quit flowing due to the earthquake and tsunami (the power and backup generators all failed, thus the pumps became inoperative), and the standing water started boiling off. Once the fuel rods were exposed to air they quickly overheated and began the meltdown process. It was hoped that they would remain within the inner containment, but it was suspected that they may have breached the inner containment and were actually in the outer containment shell. Of course you can't just send someone in there to look and see, they would not even survive long enough to report what they found. The article states that they've managed to drop a camera down inside and confirm that the fuel rods are not within the inner containment. The worst case scenario is if the fuel rods (well, they've melted so they're no longer rods, but "material") breach the outer containment, if that happens you have raw, highly radioactive fuel in the environment and the whole area becomes a Chernobyl-type dead zone. It really sounds like this is not a matter of "if", but "when".

edit on 20-1-2012 by SavedOne because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by SavedOne

That's what I suspected and feared, so any ideas on how bad it could get? The official word isn't worth the TP it is written on so I can't trust them, and nuclear containment is not my forte. Never really done much research on the matter. I mean are we looking at probable containment or possible china syndrome here?

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by reddwhite

I wonder how deep the water table is below these reactors? If the molten blob hits that it gonna a be a show.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Well it blows the cold shutdown argument out of the water ( i know bad pun..not intended).

They couldn't see because of all the steam..

Try drilling a little lower..may get lucky.

Cosmic..

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Can't we just build like a massive super-machine that burrows underground, covered in 8 feet thick lead, to drill down below the melted rods, and "catch" them on there way down...?

..Or have I been watching too many movies?

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   
All those in charge of placing nuclear power plants on our planet will be held accountable for as long as mankind exists.

These people will be behind the ultimate demise of this planet & millions if not billions of human deaths and extinct animal species.

They should be punished now and immediately stripped of all power & influence to ensure that they play no more part in the future direction of mankind and our planet.

They don't even deserve to see the light of day!

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by DanielET
All those in charge of placing nuclear power plants on our planet will be held accountable for as long as mankind exists.

These people will be behind the ultimate demise of this planet & millions if not billions of human deaths and extinct animal species.

They should be punished now and immediately stripped of all power & influence to ensure that they play no more part in the future direction of mankind and our planet.

They don't even deserve to see the light of day!

Sure Tepco is a bunch of scumbags in suits but what about the Japanese sheep that continue this cycle.

The Japanese people are just as much to blame they are arrogant and narrow minded. I wonder how many children will never be born because of there duty to the all mighty leaders.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 08:25 PM
link   
For me and for us there is a huge difference between "not able to see"
(because the Cable was too short)
and "the Fuel is missing"!

"The Water Level is lower than expected" do not mean "There is no Water at all"!

A lot of right Information vanished in a Translation, always!

NHK showed yesterday the Waterlevel,
still covering the Cement-Saddle!

Here is a pic for demonstration

edit on 20-1-2012 by Human0815 because: pic

The same article is talking about the heights, dozo o kudasai:

The vessel's pipes did not appear to be significantly damaged, but paint had fallen off the inner wall, due possibly to high temperatures following the outbreak of the nuclear crisis. The endoscope was inserted about two meters into the containment vessel through a hole about seven meters above the bottom of the containment vessel. Visibility was about two meters to three meters.

Also, the water level inside the reactor was found to be lower than initially estimated. Although TEPCO believed water had collected to a height of 4.5 meters, the examination showed the water height was apparently less than four meters, as the surface of the water was not seen around the iron scaffolding set at a height of four meters. As one reason why there was less water than TEPCO estimated, the company said the gauge that measures the location of the water's surface did not work accurately. However, the gauge placed 2.8 meters from the bottom of the vessel indicated a possibility there is water at that level, TEPCO sources said.

www.yomiuri.co.jp...
edit on 20-1-2012 by Human0815 because: link

edit on 20-1-2012 by Human0815 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Human0815

Thanks for the clarification on the translation, but it still sounds kind of iffy.

Since I received a license from the US NRC to handle radioactive materials years ago, I know something about radioactive materials, though I'm no expert on the Fukushima case.

However I think as long as they can keep power supplied to the pumps, there is little chance of a china syndrome. But that may be a big "if". If another tsunami strikes of similar size, or maybe even smaller, just large enough to breach the sea wall, they might lose electric power again. I don't think they yet have a tsunami-proof supply of electricity in place, so that is the key danger going forward as I see it.

As long as they don't lose the electricity supply, there will probably not be any "china syndrome" type of corium hitting the groundwater steam explosion. If they lose the electricity supply, no promises on what could happen then.

edit on 20-1-2012 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Cold shutdown was announced on the media , while they showed a picture of the collapsed wall they didnt want to collapse , and gunderson or someone said , 'get out of america' if that wall collapses.
Its like a nightmare hard to beleive its happened, easier to ignore or pretend about it. So not good you would wish it untrue. But it is, true. Bad nasty bad , dont like it one bit.

top topics

join