It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Male bowerbirds trick females into sex

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Many male birds use their flashy colored feathers to lure females, but the great bowerbird of Australia has mastered the art of illusion to captivate the ladies, researchers said Thursday.

Part architect, part magician, the great bowerbird constructs an elaborate arched walkway called a bower made from twigs.

Then he strategically places fruit, shells, bones and rocks outside it so they may appear larger, or smaller, or simply more compelling to a female who considers him for a mate.

When the female enters his archway and watches, the male uses his beak to pick up the little gems on his stage and wave them before her eyes, using a series of optical illusions to keep her attention, said the study in Science.

Very slick birds !

Male bowerbirds trick females into sex

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   
so basically he lies to here and then uses flashy things equivalent to diamonds to get her into bed.

I thought we had evolved
edit on 20-1-2012 by definity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Interesting, I thought that was what alcohol is for?

Thx for sharing, I love the crazy things animals do!
edit on 20-1-2012 by mileslong54 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by definity
so basically he lies to here and then uses flashy things equivalent to diamonds to get her into bed.

I thought we had evolved
edit on 20-1-2012 by definity because: (no reason given)

Your post made me laugh because that's exactly what the male birds are doing.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Nature: Proof that females are only interested in males who have money and fancy things.

Sorry, I had to. I do not necessarily agree with the above statement, but I found it amusing.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Nahhh,

What really happens is that the female bower birds trick the male into thinking that they are tricking the females.

Just like humans.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by mileslong54

Alcohol = Liquid Panty Remover.
At least I've always found that a little helps to loosen inhibitions.
Too much and you're holding her hair while she pukes in the toilet.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   
So the females go for the ones with the biggest, fanciest house, and the most flashy trinkets? Luckily human females are much smarter than that...

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Take the case of the female Tasmanian Devil faced with 2 "suitors", 1 large & 1 smaller, who held both off ferociously till inexplicably the smaller male is seen dragging her to his burrow where he repeatedly rapes
her for 3 whole days then leaves to get a meal leaving her beaten, starving & exhausted.
She then crawls back to her own burrow & is accosted by the larger male who she again easily fends off
until the smaller male seeks her out again & she gets drug off!!
Even female animals ALLOW their males to believe they've conquered us!

new topics

top topics

join