It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Radioactive material has been stolen from a nuclear power station on Egypt's Mediterranean coast

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Radioactive material has been stolen from a nuclear power station on Egypt's Mediterranean coast that was the scene of violent protests last week, the state-run al-Ahram newspaper reported on Thursday.

A safe containing radioactive material at the Dabaa nuclear power plant, which is still under construction, was seized while another also containing radioactive material was broken open and part of its contents taken, the newspaper said.

www.reuters.com...

I guess the big question is who's hands did the nuclear material land in? Terrorists? Why would they have radioactive material at a nuclear plant that is still under construction? If the building is not finished it can't possibly be secure enough to protect radioactive material from being stolen. If it's under construction I would assume the security detail is not as big a force as it would be when the plant is opened so why have nuclear material there before it's finished with construction? Someone's got some splaining to do...

edit on 20-1-2012 by mileslong54 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Thats ridiculous! How the hell could someone just simply steal radioactive material from a nuclear power station?

Its all too convenient, perhaps a part of a jigsaw that is yet to be played out? I remember when they said Bin Laden was responsible for the bombing of the USS Cole, didnt think much about it at the time, but it turned out they were just laying the foundations for 911.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   
I can't even walk around Meijer's without 50 security cameras tracking down on me. How do they let this happen?

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   
The article says low level material that isn't really a threat. So.... What might a nuke plant under construction have which is radioactive, but far short of what is required for the plant operation down the road?

It's just an idea, since the story says no one is talking in any further detail, but perhaps they have low level slug material to test containment shields and detection equipment as it's being installed for plant security and operations?

I'm just trying to think of what WOULD be on a construction site that is far from a completed and secure facility. That is all that comes to mind..... Anyone else have ideas?
edit on 20-1-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: spacing change

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by this_is_who_we_are

More to the point, why did they let this happen?

Dirty bomb? But for where and against who?

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   
FFS - calm down - the alegedly " stolen " sample is a lab test isolotope -

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Well, how much radioactive material was stolen and what kind of radioactive material are they talking about?
There is not enough information to determine the potential threat.

Anyhow, to what extent is this a threat?! It doesn't seem to be a big deal apart from the security breach on the nuclear power station.
What kind of material and how much of it would you need to do any significant damage?

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape

Where does it say that?

as it says....

He could not give any details on the nature of the stolen items.

Nowhere in the article does it mention isolotope, so where does that info come from???

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   
If the material is just an isotope for some sort of testing that would make a whole hell of a lot more sense, considering the site was still under construction

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape

"the alegedly " stolen "

Well thank God
they only borrowed it ,,

So when would they be bringing it back then?

just curious,,

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by DROKKR
reply to post by this_is_who_we_are

More to the point, why did they let this happen?

Dirty bomb? But for where and against who?

Israel.

The Muslim Brotherhood only pays lipservice to the 1967 treaty when they really want to kill all the jews. They won't use it in Jerusalem but Tel Aviv is another matter. Depends on how much material was stolen and if it was enriched. It could be used to actually make a nuclear bomb...

Not good.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Deffinatly staying away from the Olympics this year lol
Screw work

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by mileslong54

All the major security agencies think a major terrorist attack using radioactive material is inevitable. Not if, when! I recently finished an intriguing novel where this, along with biological attacks is neatly woven in. Made me think the author 'knew' rather than was speculating. Nevertheless, a very good read. Called Alpha to Omega by William Lynhope. I think it's on all the ebook platforms. Worth a read if you are interested.
Edward

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   
if you think thats bad news check this link gives you a rough idea of the size of the problem the world faces this list is only of the amount caught or known to be missing so whats really worrying is the amount tha has got threw maybe none or maybe its like drugs and people smuggling where for everyone thats caught 4 times that gets threw?? www.terrorismanalysts.com... /article/view/schmid-illicit-radiological/html

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Plant under constructio it could be used to x ray welds. Every weld in a nuke plant gets an x ray inspectio
Just a possibility tghey took the safe thinking $$$$

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 04:36 AM
link   
reply to post by mileslong54

Maybe whoever did it will talk about it on facebook?

new topics

top topics

join