It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Indonesian children make perilous journey to school over collapsed bridge!!!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   
This one just simply blows my mind
I couldn't imagine any one of my children or myself having to cross a rickety ol' bridge to get to school...makes me more thankful for what I sometimes unintentionally take for granted.

It just goes to show how very different we all are...I mean after all, their government and parents allowed them to cross this bridge or maybe the parents didn't know and the children just decided to go for it. I remember once upon a time not being afraid of anything

I'm glad the international community got involved and brought awareness

For Sofiah and her classmates, the journey to school just got a whole lot harder. The Indonesian schoolgirl lives on one side of the Ciberang River but her school in the village of Sanghiang Tanjung is on the other - and the river has been flooding.

On Monday, the rising waters broke a pillar supporting a suspension bridge that crosses it, the head of the village told Reuters. Faced with an extra 30 minutes' walk to cross via an alternate bridge, Sofiah and her friends have chosen to undertake the precarious crossing of the collapsed bridge instead.

Indon esian Children

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   
And America thinks it is too dangerous to play games on the playground at school.

Makes you wonder what our government is really trying to "protect" us from.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   
I hope no US tax dollars were wasted fixing this bridge.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by DarthMuerte

HAARP caused the rain, which caused the flooding, which broke the bridge.

Sounds plausible enough for me. I guess HAARP hates kids walking safely to school.

But, heck send me over there and provide me the materials and I will fix the bridge for free.

edit on 20-1-2012 by Skewed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skewed

But, heck send me over there and provide me the materials and I will fix the bridge for free.

I'll pitch in and help too
It's very sad when you consider that they're just children trying to get an education.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   
All because their parents are lazy. And don't tell me they aren't, Our forefathers came from all over Europe worked together and built this. Like other posters said, give me a plane ticket and I'll help build them a concrete bridge that will not wash out

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThePublicEnemyNo1

I'll pitch in and help too
It's very sad when you consider that they're just children trying to get an education.

No kidding. Heck, I live so close to a school that the buses do not stop and my kids would even moan and groan about walking to school. Looking at what these kids have to go through to get to school, sure I will give them a hand.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Skewed

Its no that they care, they are covering their ass from lawsuits

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by LongbottomLeaf
reply to post by Skewed

Its no that they care, they are covering their ass from lawsuits

Phhhfffffffff

That is about all I could think of to say that would not get deleted anyway.

I would go the other way. I would sue them for turning the kids into fat asses by limiting their physical activity.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   
wow and I thought my grandparents had it bad walking 50 miles to school with no boots on in the middle of winter. Seriously .... who would allow their children to cross that bridge for school , I know education is important but it doesn't add to nothing if you are dead.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by freedomSlave
wow and I thought my grandparents had it bad walking 50 miles to school with no boots on in the middle of winter. Seriously .... who would allow their children to cross that bridge for school , I know education is important but it doesn't add to nothing if you are dead.

You have a point but that is not the point. These people have no support, anything they need they have to do their selves. If they need something done they have to suck it up and get it done. They cannot call their public works department to have them come and fix it. These people do not fear life the way others do, they take their licks and keep on keeping on, I have a lot of admiration for these kids. In some cases, these people are already living in what we could call a SHTF scenario, it is simply their way of life. If you take a look at that bridge, you can tell that it was not in very good shape to begin with, the flood just finished it off.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Skewed

I agree I just think it's nuts that is wrong on so many levels . I do realize that is the way of life for people in many counties. Personally I worry if that was my kid trying to cross the bridge in that condition. well I would of tried to fix the bridge instead of having her plunge to her death.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThePublicEnemyNo1

Faced with an extra 30 minutes' walk to cross via an alternate bridge, Sofiah and her friends have chosen to undertake the precarious crossing of the collapsed bridge instead.

Indon esian Children

When I was in school, there was a canyon cliff that my friends and I would climb down and then back up to save about 10 minutes off of our walk. If we were to fall, we would have certainly died as these were about 100' on each side with no trail and no ropes.

Just saying that these kids are just as stupid as me and my friends were and it's not like they don't have a choice.

Walking an extra 30 minutes to avoid that bridge seems perfectly reasonable and I hope the journalist who covered this story told their parents about it.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by LongbottomLeaf

I'm a mason, yep, buy me a ticket and I'll build it for free, too bad I'll have to pay $40,000-100,000 to gain a bach degree for the peace corp just to help out others, knowing I will not get hired or can't join due to filled positions, to help mankind and our worlds children out..

At least that's what I've heard.

Don't get me wrong I volunteer when I can in my community and state, but have been turned away because they don't need anymore help??? Paradox

Want to help, just give us $$$ and go home sir, will handle it.. seen that played out?

All those on that bridge, 1/2 will become leaders of their community, country, and world. Or maybe great mothers and fathers to their sons and daughters if they keep it up. Praying for those children. I'm planning to fly to the south pacific next winter after a good work season, to see how the other half lives, maybe it will humble me more and give something more to less fortunate people. A fellow friend and co-worker is down there now an does lots of construction in his wife's community for free, free! Just to help them improve their lives. Very humbling and wonderful what he contributes.

much love

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by freedomSlave

But would it be really any different than other kids climbing trees or what not and possibly falling out. While falling out of a tree is not so fun, but climbing them are. These kids could potentially see crossing this bridge as fun, who knows. They are doing what they have to do to get an education, regardless of what it takes. I commend them for not letting an obstacle get in their way of accomplishing their goal. I can pretty much be assured, that as dangerous as this may be, the kids do not want to fall either and are probably being as careful as they can be considering the circumstances.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   

I commend them for not letting an obstacle get in their way of accomplishing their goal.

They are taking the dangerous bridge to shave off 30 minutes of their commute. The article mentions another (most likely perfectly safe) route.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cuervo

I commend them for not letting an obstacle get in their way of accomplishing their goal.

They are taking the dangerous bridge to shave off 30 minutes of their commute. The article mentions another (most likely perfectly safe) route.

Be that as it may.

Not knowing the full details of the terrain, I may not take the longest route either, especially if it meant being in the cold or rain longer than I had to and if I trusted my abilities to cross a rickety old bridge. Maybe taking the longer route would require them to leave home while it is still dark which could cause other risks and the extra 30 minutes would make them late, I don't know.

I see that you are kind of implying that the kids are lazy for not taking the longer way, but as I see it, it is no different than people of the US texting something across the room when they could have just as easy got up and walked across the room and actually communicate with another. It is human nature, just at a different extreme.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   

I see that you are kind of implying that the kids are lazy for not taking the longer way

No, not at all. I'm saying they are kids. They don't always make the wisest choices when it comes to safety. Read my earlier post on the thread. I was just as guilty of it when I was a kid.

, but as I see it, it is no different than people of the US texting something across the room when they could have just as easy got up and walked across the room and actually communicate with another. It is human nature, just at a different extreme.

If texting required risking serious injury, then you would have a point.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by cuervo

If texting required risking serious injury, then you would have a point.

Well, I have had several instances I wanted to inflict injury or at least see an injury due to texting. I refrain though, although certain devices have not fared so well.

One of my favorite commercials.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by LongbottomLeaf
All because their parents are lazy. And don't tell me they aren't, Our forefathers came from all over Europe worked together and built this. Like other posters said, give me a plane ticket and I'll help build them a concrete bridge that will not wash out
\

We built this by imposing economic dictate around the world and then plundering the world for its resources, and exploiting people in developing countries. Funny how China is doing a lot better than other developing countries by not following our rules on capitalism.

Countries that didnt have our central bank get invaded.. Ie Afganistan, Iran and Libya and countries that dont have our central bank are on the list for invasion.. ie Iran and Korea. Own the money and you own the country.

It was not our forfarthers that built our nations. The western nations were built on the back of the banking empire

top topics

<<   2 >>

join