It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Congress withdraws SOPA, PIPA anti-piracy measures

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Lawmakers on Friday indefinitely postponed anti-piracy legislation that pits Hollywood against Silicon Valley, two days after major Internet companies staged an online protest by blacking out parts of prominent websites.

I think we have seen the power of peaceful and widespread protest! The people have spoken and the lawmakers are now doing as they are told.

We have to be careful though. This legislation can easliy make its way back into congress.

Lamar Smith, the Republican chairman of the House of Representatives Judiciary Committee, followed suit, saying his panel would delay action on similar legislation called the Stop Online Piracy Act, or SOPA, until there is wider agreement on the legislation.

For now, I think we can all revel in a small victory for online freedom! I hope this legislation never rears it's ugly head again, but we cannot become complacent. It will return.

MSNBC

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   
A small win for the people, a testament to what can be accomplished if people unite together to stop those that seek to steal away the peoples freedoms.
edit on 20-1-2012 by mileslong54 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   
One small step for (a?) man, one giant leap for mankind.
Or, at least the status quo.
Great news!

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by mileslong54

Now if we could just unite on many other issues of the day.....we could change the world.

That would be nice.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by sheepslayer247

Yeah I posted about that too.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Chamberf=6

I apologize, I didn't see your thread.

Flag for you for being on the ball!

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by sheepslayer247

Wow, amazing news!!!
Congratulations from Spain to the US, although we all should be glad for it, it was everyone´s freedom at stake!! I just wish we could backtrack here in Spain and withdraw the SINDE law, which was passed recently with a similar content to SOPA. We shall see how the government uses the law and what decisions are taken, and then we shall speak.

Congratulations anyway, the whole world can take a deep breath...for now!!
edit on 20/1/2012 by Jooles because: spelling

new topics

top topics

join