It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA explains lens flare

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   
NASA is getting upset at all the amateur UFO hunters that don't know how to spot lens flare too. ATS already debunked the last time they found this in December, but they found the same thing again and jump to UFO:

Deja vu! Like on December 2011, UFO hunters claim they have found proof of a spaceship entering the solar system in NASA's own video footage. This time, the spaceship has a triangular shape, so it must be an Imperial Star Destroyer.

Gizmoto.

People on ATS keep saying things like this can't be lens flare so I made a whole thread explaining lens flare.

I still hear people who don't understand and only think lens flare is when the sun or other bright object is off to the side. That's not true as you can see in my thread. The object can be in view or it could be out of view. This video that people are talking about is the NASA equivalent of my pics in my other thread.

The strange looking geometrical "object" is actually an internal reflection of the planet Venus within the telescope optics.

NASA

The bright object on the left hand side is refracting off the internal optics causing the lens flare on the right. When you see a UFO and it is mirroring a bright object or you know a bright object is just off screen it's pretty safe to assume its lens flare.

Now there are lots of UFO's out there, lets deny ignorance here on ATS and understand this principle of lens flare

edit on 20-1-2012 by pianopraze because: typo

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   
At least -- at LAST!! -- somebody at NASA is offering explanations, for consideration. Usually in the past they just ignored such stories. I think this is progress and needs to be further encouraged.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Lying liars who lie!

Burn the witches!

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by pianopraze

This is all very good for the average cheap handheld camera, however many of these explanations fall to pieces when you move onto much higher production value cameras, specifically RED Cameras.

I'll certainly agree though, far too many users are ignoring honest, quality advice on lens flare because they'd rather 'believe'. At least those in the know get to have a good laugh about it.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Riiight "lens flare" thats like the age old weather balloon and swamp gas explanations yes lets deny ignorance sure lets accept the explanation that nasa gave.....move along herd nothing to see here

I dont buy it

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Light travels in vectors....and is why reflections characteristically match one another.

A circular object cannot create a triangular reflection simply due to Lense Flare which is simply a reflection in itself.

Try again...

Never A Straight Answer (NASA) courtesy of the CIA ( Coverstory Incorporation Agency)

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   
i dont belive this is lense flare,its swamp gas stupid

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by ooYODAoo
Riiight "lens flare" thats like the age old weather balloon and swamp gas explanations yes lets deny ignorance sure lets accept the explanation that nasa gave.....move along herd nothing to see here

I dont buy it

Did you even bother reading my other post explaining how optics work?

I'm sick of lens flare being posted time and again on ATS as "UFO's"....

.... let's deny ignorance and learn how to identify flare so we can find real Unidentified FLYING Objects

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   
That is def a GFO.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

join