It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Georgia Mom Arrested for Allowing 10-Year-Old to Get Tattoo

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Would you be "shocked" by ANY chance if the tattoo in question said "Sieg Heil" ?

How about if it was on the forehead?

Would those in favor now,be in favor for that,regardless how heinous the message.

Serious question.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

Why are so many people missing the point?

Nobody is in favor of the tattoo, we are just against turning the final say over to the government!

No, I wouldn't want the tattoo to be on the forehead, but I also don't want the authorities deciding where it is appropriate and where it is inappropriate. I would rather see the tattoo on the forehead than to see the mother in jail, I can tell you that.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   
I think she has a lot of integrity for refusing to cooperate too and I would counter charge them with fascism and refuse to participate in their illegal fasicst courts. They come to our courst to try them, if they like trials so much. I personally won't take any of this crapola. They're arch criminals and I would have to arrest them on site. I would never obey them.
edit on 20-1-2012 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
reply to post by sonnny1

Why are so many people missing the point?

Nobody is in favor of the tattoo, we are just against turning the final say over to the government!

No, I wouldn't want the tattoo to be on the forehead, but I also don't want the authorities deciding where it is appropriate and where it is inappropriate. I would rather see the tattoo on the forehead than to see the mother in jail, I can tell you that.

No, I agree with you on the "Government" aspect.

Unfortunately,some sort of "boundrys" have to be decided on.

WHO then has the say,if a parent oversteps the boundary of their own child?

Really its a fine line.

I could give SO many hypotheticals,on what children want to do,because they believe they can.

Heck,my kid wants to drive the car,and hes REALLY good at it. Doesnt mean im tossing him the keys,to go pick me up a six pack,and let him drink a few sips because I believe hes earned the right.

Imagine parents letting their children do drugs,because they believe its perfectly normal and acceptable,in their world.

Does it make it right?

Should the world turn a blind eye to it?

How about sex,and children?

Some pedophiles believe its perfectly normal.

I only ask these questions,because they are on the cusp of the acceptable and not acceptable in modern society. Some,in my eyes, will never be acceptable.

BTW,thanks for the response.......

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

What if instead of scarring the child for life, the mother wanted to chop off it's fingers?

Would you object to the state intervening in the interests of the child then?

It's no different - a physical maiming.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Why do you have so many stars in your OP?

One of my father's good friends from childhood has been a tattoo artist for decades and one girl came in with her parent wanting a tattoo but said she was 17.

He rightly refused her custom even with parental consent and said that the law stated he could be prosecuted for child abuse if he inked her.

The parent of the 10 year old in the OP story should rightfully be given time in jail as should the artist who inked the young boy.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   
On the Pro on this...........

Many Girls get ears pierced,and that's NEVER a question........

Is there ANY states that would allow this by any chance?

When I think of less Government,I think Federal........................

Immediately.

Not to say States arnt screwed with their over abundance on laws.

Very good topic,and I know why OP has those stars.........................

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Essan
reply to post by getreadyalready

What if instead of scarring the child for life, the mother wanted to chop off it's fingers?

Would you object to the state intervening in the interests of the child then?

It's no different - a physical maiming.

No, it isn't the same, because chopping off fingers is a clear injury that cause a physical disability. Scarring of the skin is not the same as that.

I don't make my kids were their helmets and knee pads when they ride their bike. It is easily forseeable that they may get scars. Am I being negligent and criminal? Some would say yes! In fact, many would say yes, and helmet laws for bicycles are becoming pretty common!

A circumcision is a permanent maiming that does create a lasting physical disability, and also may have lasting health benefits.. So, is it right or wrong? There are many on both sides of the fence. Some say require it while others say outlaw it.

We can't let the government interfere in any cases except the most blatant and severe.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   

We can't let the government interfere in any cases except the most blatant and severe.

Thats where you and I agree.

My personal opinion?

Its a tattoo.

Maybe a little young,but it seems the child KNOWS why he is getting it.

If it was something he DIDNT want,that would be a problem.

MHO

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   
OK. I gotta admit, at first I was like, "You're damned right she should be arrested. No 10 year old knows what he wants embedded in his skin for the rest of this life ... and no mother should allow it."

However, after reading the story, I'm leaning your way. The kid had full cognition of what he wanted. He knew it would be permanent and it was done for all the right reasons. It's not like he was just going through his Unicorn stage and thought getting a permanent Unicorn Tattoo was a good idea.

Though, the best course of action would have been for the mother to tell their son to wait 8 years and if he still wanted one he could get it himself ... I don't think the mother should be punished for this.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   
It's a special circumstance, he choosing to remember his deceased brother in that way. The same thing happened a buddy of mine. He was 12 living in Arkansas, and a "T" on his upper arm. His mother gave him permission but a teacher at the school saw it and called DCFS. The case didn't go anywhere but I don't think a tattoo is all that bad. I had another friend who had his entire ribcage tatted at the age of 13 lol.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   
So it's okay for the mega-corporations to market the 'tattoo' concept to young children, but heavens forbid, that a child would actually be INSPIRED to want one themselves!!!

Hell, my 10 year old just got her ears pierced for her birthday, like thousands of others her age and younger...should I and those childrens parents be locked up for allowing piercings, or are they classed as different?

Examining Cultural Change: Children’s Tattoo Toys - by Guest Blogger David Paul Strohecker, Nov 14, 2011, at 12:24 pm

As part of my research into the popularization of tattooing, I have accumulated quite a few interesting links on tattoo toys for children. I don’t mean those temporary tattoos we all used to get from the vending machines at popular chain restaurants. This toys I am talking about have drawn flack from parents as being “inappropriate” for kids, creating an example of a burgeoning “moral panic”. Some examples include: tattoo inspired toddler wear, tattoo machines for kids, and of course, tattooed Barbie dolls.

The most recent children’s tattoo toy to come under attack is the collector’s edition “Tokidoki Barbie,” which features prominent arm, chest, and neck tattoos. This is the first Barbie to come out of its packaging with tattoos already applied. The first tattooed Barbie called “Totally Stylin’ Tattoo Barbie” was interactive and designed for children, allowing them to paste the temporary tattoos (actually stickers) on themselves or the doll. This new “Tokidoki Barbie” is not a toy so much as a collector’s item, meant to capture a particular historical moment in time and to be exchanged between collectors (the doll is now auctioning for roughly $500 each). With a hefty $500 price tag, I do not see many children playing with this doll. It is also not sold in stores, and is only available online. MORE

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Submarines
Not only was I shocked, but I was speechless!

What shocked me even more was your post! I can't believe that you have a problem with the arrest of a mother who allowed a TEN YEAR OLD CHILD to be permanently tattooed.

Please tell me, someone, that I'm not the only one here that has a problem with this!

No your right you have a huge problem. You for whatever reason think that it is okay for YOU to determine what is okay and not okay for sombody ELSE to do. You are a sicko. And YOU do not have that right.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   
I don't think 10 year olds should be allowed to get tattoo's. I agree with other people who say the federal government shouldn't be allowed a say in the matter, and that's fine.

We all know there are some pretty awful parents out there, we can't trust parents to do a proper job all the time, otherwise society would just go down the tubes.

The parent of that child should have said: "Wait till you're 18.", not- "ok!".

Liberty yes, but I draw a line when it comes to immorality and/or improper parenting.
edit on 20-1-2012 by L00kingGlass because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   

I am not anti-government. It has its problems - but I am not anti-government.

I stand with the law - - because some kids need protection from their parents. This mother will probably get a slap on the wrist and a fine - - if no abuse is found. Laws are protections that can be used if needed. And sometimes they are definitely needed.

Curious - - did you also support the mother who was injecting her daughter with Botox for beauty pageants?

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   
I draw the line below 10 for sure

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

I can't remember, and I have to be honest, some of my views have changed or hardened since 2009!

I don't support either of the mothers. There should have been a father around to insert some common sense, or a grandmother, or an aunt or uncle.

But, unlike you, I am anti-government. It does have a place and a purpose. In fact, I am an investigator for a government regulatory body.
So, in fact, I hate myself! But, I also have a unique perspective at how our actions are occasionally good, and a lot of times wasted effort, and in all cases wasteful piles of red-tape bureaucracy. We disappoint far more people than we help, and we throw the book at the easy cases even though they are typically minor infractions, and we rarely get any decent resolve against the more serious and complicated cases.

There is nothing about government regulation that is fair, I can guarantee that, so my solution is to get rid of it entirely. If we can't do the job right, and someone is going to suffer despite our best efforts, and our efforts often result in the wrong people suffering, then we should toss the whole thing and side on the side of Liberty!

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   

reply to post by Annee

I can't remember, and I have to be honest, some of my views have changed or hardened since 2009!

I don't support either of the mothers. There should have been a father around to insert some common sense, or a grandmother, or an aunt or uncle.

Oh! Don't go there.

My dad found a willing shoulder to cry on - - while my mother was in the hospital paralyzed with polio in the '51 epidemic. Three kids age 6 - 5- 1 year old.

I was raised by my mother and grandmother.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Found it, and I did support that mother as well.

Unfortunately I am under the impression that parents should have carte blanche with their own children. As ridiculous as this is, a mother is a mother. I'm sure how daughter has a bright future as a middle to high-end prostitute if the actress thing doesn't work out. (From the looks of the mother, streetwalke might be a more realistic aspiration.)

Imagine being raised from birth to believe that your only worth is in your looks, and then failing to make it as a model? Sluttiness and abuse by men is going to be her life. Even if she does make it as an actress or a model, she is learning from an early age to do whatever it takes to use her body and appearance to manipulate the world around her.

Sad.

8 year old Botox Thread

In fact, there is a growing trend of breast implants, nose jobs, and other plastic surgery for teens and younger. This is supported and endorsed by the Medical Community, and through their lobbyists it is also supported by the state and federal legislators.

So, how is a tattoo worse than breast implants for an impressionable young person?

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Oh! Don't go there.

My dad found a willing shoulder to cry on - - while my mother was in the hospital paralyzed with polio in the '51 epidemic. Three kids age 6 - 5- 1 year old.

I was raised by my mother and grandmother.

Re-reading my post, it sounded bad. What I mean is that I don't support either of the mother's decisions, and ideally there should be more than 1 parent making such a decision. 2 parents, or a parent and a grand-parent or something. Ideally she would have thought to herself, "I don't know if this is ok, let me call the boy's father, or my mother, and get a second opinion."

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join