It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Georgia Mom Arrested for Allowing 10-Year-Old to Get Tattoo

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 01:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Oaktree

I'm still going through all the posts since I signed off last night. I have to say I'm really enjoying the different outlooks people are sharing. Some absolutely ignorant in their sheeple opinions - others informed open minded and sane... Great mix!

Anyway, before I go back to reading? This quote here? LOVE IT!

If It's my kid, it ain't gonna happen.
If it's your kid, it's none of my business.

peace

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 01:32 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Yeah, she should be arrested and flogged. If you don't find anything wrong with this then you should have your ass kicked......

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 01:34 AM
link   
reply to post by mainidh

I'm curious, after having read a number of supporting posts in this thread, given the logic you use, would her son had been OK had got something like this?

Of course not. You know it, I know it - but this mixing apples and oranges. The boy has his big brother’s name on his arm. A big brother he adored. A big brother - don’t forget - who was killed by a drunk driver and the boy was there when his brother died. I know adults who couldn’t handle that, but this kid is PROUD now. THAT changes EVERYTHING - God bless him!

Smart looking guy, sure anyone would employ him - or is this one of the extremes that you won't answer?

It depends on how you look at it? You can use an open mind and have respect for a man who has tribal tattoos (reflecting his heritage and religion) covering his face and hire him for his talents and integrity. He’s got guts. He doesn’t care what other people think of him. He has obvious dedication and conviction. Meaning? He’s not a sheeple. Depending on the job? He might be just perfect. He’s got enough self integrity to live with his decisions, for life, and that takes GUTS.

Now, if you want to hire an employee who will never question you, who will lick your boots, who’ll never raise his head to wonder why? Then you probably wouldn’t want to hire this man.

Seeing as some of you suppose taking your 10 year old to a bar, or a stripper or a hooker would be OK if the parent consented?

It’s not a question of ‘ok’ or not. It’s a question of a parents right to raise THEIR CHILD as they wish - or - allowing government rule in your own child's life.

As for hookers and such? Give it a while - the Government is almost there... As it is the National Standard in the USA ensure KINDERGARTEN CHILDREN will be educated so as the leave to progress into upper grades they're well informed and educated in sexual orientation. But that's ok. Isn't it? (/sarcasm)...

peace
edit on 21-1-2012 by silo13 because: spelling

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 01:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Pinke

Not meaning to be offensive, but this is hardly Tiananmen Square style stuff.

Where do you think the 'Tiananmen square' atrocities started?

Just...like...this. Big Government ruling where they do NOT belong.

Just sayin'...

peace

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 01:54 AM
link   
This is pathetic that a mother who let her son get a tattoo can be arrested but yet all the bankers that stole all our money on wall street just sit and watch people suffer and die from their mistakes.

What a messed up world we live in.

As for the tattoo, I did not read through all 12 pages but after the first 4 or so I get the drift.
I think if it doesn't harm the child then who cares? There are bigger problems in life then if a 10 year old is getting a respectful tattoo, what about the children that are actually being abused?

I am inked up, both arms are full, not sleeves, but full, I have one calf done, with 'predator' down it,
(it is for the movie, I wanted to get his name and then him on the front side of my leg, but damn, by far the most painful tattoo I got. still contemplating going back, it's in old English, so most people can't read it. My wife and persister joke that I should go get 'sexual' on the other leg. :lol
and have a cross done on my back.

As a full blown atheist now, I can definitely understand getting tattoo's done to young, but for a memorial for his brother I am sure he will not regret it.

I have 2 girls and will take them when they want to get a tattoo.

Pred...

edit on 21-1-2012 by predator0187 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 02:02 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

don't these pigs have more important things to worry about, than what someone puts on their body? I swear we are already in a police state, all they want is control control control. and for that prick to suggest they find another way to mourn the loss? what a gutless coward.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 02:06 AM
link   
reply to post by CoolStoryMan

and for that prick to suggest they find another way to mourn the loss? what a gutless coward.

I have to admit that's what pushed my 'PO' button big time. Who the hell does he think he is to tell ANYONE how to mourn and what is the right and wrong way to deal with grief. Just goes to show the audacity these oinkers have nowadays. And ya know, I never ever used to have this opinion of law enforcement. Too long in the coming is how I feel now. That guy is just so over the freakin top out of line I can barely believe it. APPLAUSE to you.

peace

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 02:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by silo13
reply to post by CoolStoryMan

and for that prick to suggest they find another way to mourn the loss? what a gutless coward.

I have to admit that's what pushed my 'PO' button big time. Who the hell does he think he is to tell ANYONE how to mourn and what is the right and wrong way to deal with grief. Just goes to show the audacity these oinkers have nowadays. And ya know, I never ever used to have this opinion of law enforcement. Too long in the coming is how I feel now. That guy is just so over the freakin top out of line I can barely believe it. APPLAUSE to you.

peace

He's one of those guys that probably has a miserable family life or upbringing, let's be real here there are racial overtones to this law and it's enforcement.....

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 02:18 AM
link   
And they wanna microchip adults/kids who are the real abusers here.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 02:33 AM
link   
Fact is, tattooing under 18 is illegal. Therefore she is the child's guardian, and has broke the law.
Tattoo artist clearly equally liable - but I agree with a lot of people on this, it's wrong.
What if she had given her son some cigarettes, a whisky, allowed him to have sex (they can start young now!!) - all of these are illegal but would you cry "interfering big government" in those scenarios?
Too many people letting children make "adult" choices nowadays. The child should he told he can wait until he is 18 and make the choice himself as an adult.
It's not like there prosecuting the mother for some pointless trivial law like allowing the son to sell orange juice wihout a permit (which happened recently I believe - that is a police officer not applying any common sense to a law) this is a reasonable law, being enforced.
I personally think tattoos are ugly anyway, but if you like them then fair enough.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 02:36 AM
link   
haha thats wild! I cant believe it. Im sorry but you just do not let your 10 year old child get any tattoos hes not even at a mature enough age yet to even know what he really wants. Just imagine when hes 30 years old and has a spider man tattoo on his side lol. Hes gunna be pist off at his mother. Now if it was some religious beliefs and thats what they do then i could understand but this is just wrong lol.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 03:03 AM
link   
I am in agreement with those who are outraged over the mother being arrested for this. I feel that their actions are not in keeping with the spirit of the intent of the law. The majority of laws against tattooing a minor came about in response to a shift in the acceptance of tattoo's amongst the youth. What was once...in my youth..seen as something some older men did while off in the service or working blue collar jobs, something generally considered a sign of the lower class, lost that stigma over the last few generations and instead became an acceptable and even desirable form of self expression. In an effort similar to what we see today regarding the subject of birth control and abortions in those under 18, the laws were implemented to prevent minors from taking it upon themselves and behind their parents backs to get a tattoo. That is the spirit in which most state laws that against tattooing minors were enacted, to restrict the businesses providing tattoo's from selling their craft solely on the basis of one's ability to pay for the service.

While in some cases I would consider it inept parenting to allow a minor to decorate their body in such a permanent way....as in cases where the motivation of the youth was simply a frivolous desire to "be cool". The motivation and the circumstances surrounding this instance have a much deeper implication and deserve to be respected.

When I was young my parents forbade us, my sisters and my self from getting our ears pierced although ear piercing in society by that time had already undergone the transformation from being stigmatized as sign of a low class uneducated immigrant unwilling to "Americanize", to being completely acceptable and normalized in our society. I clearly remember my father telling us that if we got our ears pierced he would insist we also get our noses pierced and wear a bone through it. That said you can imagine their opinion of tattoo's, those were just completely beyond any consideration, no matter what age we were...it would have been grounds for disowning us.

But sometimes circumstances and events in a person's life impact them so deeply that strong and long held opinions become meaningless in the scheme of things and in comparison. In 2004 my youngest sister....the baby of my family lost her fight with cancer at the age of 36 years old...but always the baby or child in my mothers eyes...and even in mine. It was devastating, horrible, unthinkable for all of us but worse for my mother who even to this day says no parent should outlive their child. As somewhat of a memorial to my sister, and a way to keep something that was specific to my sister close to her at all times my mother at the age of 71 had my sisters name tattooed on her in a very visible location where everyone can see it and she wears that tattoo with pride.

Some say that the tattoo will no longer retain it's visible integrity as this boy grows older, and that is probably so, but for him the tattoo isn't just some body decoration to make him look cool, it is instead a memorial to his brother motivated by the deep impact of his tragic death, a way to always remember him and keep something of him close, no matter how much visual integrity the tattoo might lose what it represents won't fade, that will always be there.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 03:47 AM
link   
Record your child's name in the family bible and don't get a title (birth certificate) for your child. Problem solved.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 03:52 AM
link   
Letting a minor have a tattoo is irresponsible to say the least. Although whether the parent should have been arrested is debatable, again to say the least. I think a strong reprimand would've been in order although I get the feeling that it would have been water off a duck's back.
As has been said, the child has strong feelings for his departed brother but surely if they were that strong he could have waited until he was of a legal age to get it done and that's something his mother should have encouraged.
The fact he's only 10 means he has a lot of growing to do and by the time he has stopped growing I would argue that the tattoo will probably be unrecognisable from what it looks like today.

Something tells me that this child isn't going to run for the presidency when he's an adult.

Oh, on a similar note, any parent who gets their children's ears pierced should be done for child assault.

edit on 21/1/12 by Pardon? because: Added a comment.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 04:17 AM
link   

edit on 21-1-2012 by OmegaSynthesis because: Bah

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 04:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Submarines
Not only was I shocked, but I was speechless!

What shocked me even more was your post! I can't believe that you have a problem with the arrest of a mother who allowed a TEN YEAR OLD CHILD to be permanently tattooed.

Please tell me, someone, that I'm not the only one here that has a problem with this!

Nobody cares what you have problems with.. personal matters of strangers that will never affect you in any meaningful way... are none of your business.

How would other peoples kids with tatoos matter to you?.. lets say it becomes a fad, "my kids tattoo is better than your kids" and one day you stroll into the market finding yourself surrounded by tattooed kids. Can groceries no longer be purchased?

You can hands on hips stomp with disapproval while judgingly shaking your head.. if public displays of what you deem appropriate are your thing, but really..

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 04:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
reply to post by Char-Lee

Maybe if all concerned gave it time...for grief to pass and then were clear headed they may not have made the same decision. NO ONE should make any life changing decision during time of grief.

This is VERY true! Tattoo artists need to be like bartenders and priests and counsel their customers before they decide to get permanent ink.

I am with you there. Very surprising the artist did this, as he had to know it was against the law. However, I also agree that it isn't the government's job to do our parenting.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 04:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by predator0187
As a full blown atheist now, I can definitely understand getting tattoo's done to young, but for a memorial for his brother I am sure he will not regret it.

What? I don't understand that at all?
What does being an atheist have to do with understand getting Tattoos done too young, how does it give you a better or different understanding?

I have 2 girls and will take them when they want to get a tattoo.

What a great parent you are....so if they're 8 and they want a Tattoo... you'll let them.

Well done, great way to fight big government, let your kids do whatever they like.

Tattoos are for adults..... Maybe 15/16 and over but not little kids.

Most of the things people have talked about... going to bars, sex, drugs.... etc.... all of these things are for people who can enjoy them and understand them.

Of course a kid will WANT a Tattoo or to get drunk..... It's the job of a parent to EDUCATE them why it's not a good idea when they're too young and to wait until they're old enough.

Simple really.
edit on 21/1/12 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 04:34 AM
link   
reply to post by facchino

Fact is, tattooing under 18 is illegal. Therefore she is the child's guardian,

No, she is not his 'guardian' she is the boy's MOTHER. So if she wants to chop off his penis end without his permission that is ok - making a life long decision for him in an area that is uniquely, wholly and intimately his choice? But she's not right in giving him peace over his brother's death with a tattoo? That's twisted. That's letting religion and society dictate the life of your child when it is YOUR right, and responsibility alone.

Too many people letting children make "adult" choices nowadays. The child should he told he can wait until he is 18 and make the choice himself as an adult.

Do you have any idea how many adults get tattoos and regret them later? Believe me - lol - age makes no difference on this one.

It's not like there prosecuting the mother for some pointless trivial law like allowing the son to sell orange juice wihout a permit (which happened recently I believe - that is a police officer not applying any common sense to a law) this is a reasonable law, being enforced.

But they are prosecuting her for something that is none of their business.

I personally think tattoos are ugly anyway, but if you like them then fair enough.

That says it all. Really. I'm not picking on you, but, that says it all. There is such an alive and ignorant bias towards 'tats' in the USA it borders on sickness. Especially in a place where mothers (so called) can dress their 3 year old babies up in 'street walker' clothes for a so called 'beauty pageant' and teach them to poll dance for a 'pageant' but THAT is acceptable. But allow a child get the name of his dead brother tattooed on his arm? THAT FILTHY NO GOOD MOTHER! Right?

WRONG!

Let's not forget. A tattoo can be erased in time - like many ADULTS know full well!

But all those videos out there of those little girls dressed up like and poll dancing like little whores? Those CD's and shows and copies of the events? They're out there in the hands of God only knows who! And all those poor little girls - who at a later time in their life may want the option to 'erase' those films? They don't have it - that option is no longer available to them! So let's not go all holier than thou over a tattoo that CAN BE easily erased.

peace

edit on 21-1-2012 by silo13 because: bbc

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 04:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by OrwellWasAnOptimist
reply to post by silo13

Yeah, she should be arrested and flogged. If you don't find anything wrong with this then you should have your ass kicked......

Nosy people who don't mind their own business should be beaten with a bag of nickles..

I'll take a room full of quiet tastefully tattooed kids.. over one ink free screaming brat.

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join