It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Georgia Mom Arrested for Allowing 10-Year-Old to Get Tattoo

page: 10
56
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Char-Lee
 



Maybe if all concerned gave it time...for grief to pass and then were clear headed they may not have made the same decision. NO ONE should make any life changing decision during time of grief.


This is VERY true! Tattoo artists need to be like bartenders and priests and counsel their customers before they decide to get permanent ink.




posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by GhettoRice
 


Youre welcome. Someone had to be the voice of reason



posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Oh no! The kid got a memorial tattoo of his older brother!
Big deal. It was his decision, and it's one he will never regret.
If is was some flash art, or whatever; I could see that being a problem.

But it was for his brother...
Kids aren't as stupid and helpless, as we always make them out to be.
A smart kid, can make good decisions on their own.

Society still holds onto the negative view on tattoos...



posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Submarines
 


You are not alone and they should've arrested the artist isn't there some kind of code not to do that to some one his age. The mother is clearly unfit if she doesn't know that's against the law. Common sense should tell you you don't do that to a kid no matter the subject of the tatoo. Sheese there really are alot of sheeple out there. What have we done to ourselves?



posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 09:09 PM
link   
What can parents do these days? Can't make medical decisions for our child if a dr. or a judge disagrees. We have no say in the reproductive health of our children. We are limited on disciplinary measures. We have little control over what our children are taught in the school system, and are harassed for homeschooling.

I was faced with a dilemma not to long ago about leaving my son home alone. He hated to come along on certain errands I have to run. As his mother I felt he was perfectly capable of staying home for an hour while ran to the bank. He knew what to do in an emergency situation, had my cell number, and is very trustworthy. The laws in my state said he couldn't stay home alone for another 3 months until his birthday. This made for a miserable situation for both us us. Fast forward 3 months and he can now legally stay home. What has really changed in those 3 months? Nothing. But the law determines when my son is mature enough to stay home, not his mother. They don't know my kid.



posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by SalientSkivvy
Oh no! The kid got a memorial tattoo of his older brother!
Big deal. It was his decision, and it's one he will never regret.
If is was some flash art, or whatever; I could see that being a problem.

But it was for his brother...
Kids aren't as stupid and helpless, as we always make them out to be.
A smart kid, can make good decisions on their own.

Society still holds onto the negative view on tattoos...


WOW you were sure not the same as I was at 10! I did really stupid things!I was totally without a clue! thank god I was not raising myself!



posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by calstorm
What can parents do these days? Can't make medical decisions for our child if a dr. or a judge disagrees. We have no say in the reproductive health of our children. We are limited on disciplinary measures. We have little control over what our children are taught in the school system, and are harassed for homeschooling.

I was faced with a dilemma not to long ago about leaving my son home alone. He hated to come along on certain errands I have to run. As his mother I felt he was perfectly capable of staying home for an hour while ran to the bank. He knew what to do in an emergency situation, had my cell number, and is very trustworthy. The laws in my state said he couldn't stay home alone for another 3 months until his birthday. This made for a miserable situation for both us us. Fast forward 3 months and he can now legally stay home. What has really changed in those 3 months? Nothing. But the law determines when my son is mature enough to stay home, not his mother. They don't know my kid.


Well then there was the Mother of the 5 year old, she said her kid was perfectly capable to watch the 6 month old while she was out.

This is why we vote in laws..they are slightly different in each state as slightly different belief systems in different areas but they are what people feel would be the minimum to protect the children from dumb parents.



posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo

Originally posted by revmoofoo
The mother and the tattoo artist should both be jailed for this IMHO.

I've been getting tattoos since before they became mainstream and a badge of the "metrosexual" moron brigade and as someone who has been inked for more than half his life, this doesn't sit well with me. Like babies having their ears pierced, though that would at least be less permanent than a tattoo.

In my country no reputable tattoo artist would ever tattoo a child nor will they tattoo hands, visible areas of the neck, faces and heads. Don't get me wrong, there are fuc-wits in every profession that will do anything for a quick buck (thus all the morons/hooligans with ink depicting Nazi images and worse all over their face) but anyone who has a good reputation and does good work will give jobs like this a wide berth.

Tattoos are for life and as such require an adults mind/maturity to chose to have one done, no matter what the reasoning is.

Rev


edit on 20/1/2012 by revmoofoo because: My kingdom for mad spelling skills!


throwing a mother into jail for this is NOT the solution.

If she needs to be held accountable there are a zillion other ways of doing so w/out ripping her from her sons's life. She has already lost one son!!


This

And the son will probably blame himself for his mom getting arrested.



posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Char-Lee
 


I suppose your right.
It takes time after loosing one.So i assume it was a bit not right for the mother to allow her child to get a tattoo at such time.
Make him think about it for a while.



posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Submarines
 


People like you are the reason the government has it so easy to infringe on our rights.



posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by LightWarrior11
 


You hit the nail on the head with this



This

And the son will probably blame himself for his mom getting arrested.

That is extremely sad on top of the sadness over his loss of his brother already. What a shame.



posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 09:30 PM
link   
I'm a dad who, several years ago, told his teenage daughter she could get a tattoo when she turned 18. She thought I was being unfair, but I'm not a fan of kids having tattoos.

That being said, the government should have no say in this decision, even though, in my opinion, it's a bad decision.

If we're going to start arresting people for bad parenting, we're headed toward a society with a bleak future. Please note I'm not calling this lady a bad parent. I don't know her. I just don't agree with this particular decision.



posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone
She is the Mother...He is the Son. Their choice...NOT the governments.

What the hell...is this administration now going to implement a special strike force to go into other countries where tattoos are a cultural way of life, and start rounding up parents who put tribal/cultural tattoos on their offspring.


Good find OP.....


That's a very good way of putting it. Some people might not be thinking about how things like this are culturally accepted all across the planet. In a country like america we are told what to think is weird or wrong and we're just supposed to accept it to the point where people can't make choices about their own life. I was brought into this existence the same way all of you were and right from the beginning we're trained to be obedient to others. There is fundamentally no good or bad in the universe, we are driven by our personal opinions and ego. If the tattoo wasn't hurting anybody (other than the child who willfully received it) why is it "bad?"



posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Char-Lee
 


The it should be determined case by case. Can't the police use common sense when decided where the parent did something unsafe. Dumb parents shouldn't be allowed to ruin it for the rest of us.



posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by 1loserel2
reply to post by Submarines
 


You are not alone and they should've arrested the artist isn't there some kind of code not to do that to some one his age. The mother is clearly unfit if she doesn't know that's against the law. Common sense should tell you you don't do that to a kid no matter the subject of the tatoo. Sheese there really are alot of sheeple out there. What have we done to ourselves?


Why is it "common sense" not to allow a 10 year old child to get a tattoo? If the tattoo is meaningful and positive i don't think it will be hurting anybodies personal opinions if they see it? Having a belief in something can have very physical effects on a persons body and a tattoo like that could really change this kids life. Every time he's about to do something he knows is morally wrong he might look at his arm and change his mind. It's a strong reminder for him for a brother he will never get to see, talk to or play with.



posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   
This had me boiling.
Leave it to the government to overstep its moral boundaries to dictate how how a mother should raise HER child. She didn't even force him to get the tattoo, and the kid looked pretty proud of it. His brother had just DIED, and he wanted some sort of rememberance of him.
What does some pig cop or evil government know about grieving over the loss of someone? If they want to remember him by metaphorically making him a permanent part of their body, then let them do it. What ever happened to "to each their own"? I guess it gone thrown out when Big Brother came into play.



posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by calstorm
reply to post by Char-Lee
 


The it should be determined case by case. Can't the police use common sense when decided where the parent did something unsafe. Dumb parents shouldn't be allowed to ruin it for the rest of us.


I think it is unfortunate in our system that things can not decided case by case.
I would assume the reason is cost mainly. Certainly our system already costs to much to run but adding differing views and case by case decision not based on a blanket law would cost a whole lot more and lead to a lot more injustice as in...Why did I go to jail...Joe B. did the same thing and he didn't!
Then the public would be judging each decision one after another a free for all!!



posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Greetings!

I totally agree with the OP on this one... except...

You know how when you're 18 and getting your first tattoo and you're trying to figure out placement? Well, for me, as a female, I wasn't about to get something around my belly button, for example. Imagine that after children... or just getting fat....
Not pretty.

So, you see, some planning must go into how this permanent piece of art is going to look in 20, 30, 50+ years.

Now, a 10 year old has soooooo much growing to do. Hasn't even hit puberty yet. I imagine his nice looking tattoo now with be barely identifiable once he reaches adulthood. And yes, it will still have the memory....

I just think, maybe, she should have tried to cover this angle with the little guy. "Wait a few years so you can get to adult size and then we'll talk."

Am I being vain here or just realistic?

Hope you all are having a wonderful day and don't let your panties get too bunched up.



posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   
While I can't say I think it's a great idea to let a ten year old get a tattoo, I can say it's none of my concern as to whether other parents let their kids get inked.

If It's my kid, it ain't gonna happen.
If it's your kid, it's none of my business.

However, if I read the article right, that particular state law prohibits anyone under eighteen from getting a tattoo, so I need to ask:
Where was this Mother and all the other citizens when they let this law pass?
Where were any of the voting public when this passed?

If we stop letting laws like this, and the 40,000 other laws that pass yearly, from hitting the books, maybe we wouldn't have these problems in the first place.



posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 10:01 PM
link   
What I never get, is that the children are MORE TRAUMITIZED by the actions of the POLICE (authorities), in these and many other cases, than any damage done by getting an early tat etc!


There needs to be a counselling 'middle-ground' in situations like the one in the OP, rather than scare the cr@p out of children & parents, with all this heavy handeness.

It's no wonder people grow-up disliking / hating authority figures, especially the COPS!

Look, I've known some good cops, but boy do I know a lot about BAD cops. They are often no better than those they arrest. We know of plenty wife-beating cops, alcoholic cops, CP watching cops, drug taking cops, lying cops, and damned MURDERING cops...I can't stand HYPOCRYPTS




top topics



 
56
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

log in

join