It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Life Spotted on Venus - Russian Scientist

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by JimOberg

i only mentioned life on venus the other day here on ATS. The universe is full of life because God made it so.
2nd

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

In case anyone is confused by these images...Both Venera probes 13 and 14 had two cameras. The images DJW001 posted are from Venra 14 one from each camera taken from different sides of the probe.

Here is another source of these same images. Soviet Venus images.
Scroll down about half way to see images from Venera 13 and 14 showing angles from both cameras 1 and 2.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   
I doubt an organism, any at all could endure the extreme heat on Venus. id be more inclined to believe Mars and out. Perhaps somebody could prove me wrong one day but this one isnt it. (Great post tho - interesting to say the least. So much gets "lost in translation" between international medias, who knows whats really going on!

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Here is a blown up view of the interesting object, taken from the site kindly linked to by Devino.

The image on the left is the image provided by the raw data from the soviet mission, the image on the right is the reconstructed image from the guy on the website, using 3 different signals transmitted by the probe:

Certainly very interesting looking! The object seems to be elevated from the ground, by what appear to be legs of some sort. I am not saying they are legs of course, just saying they appear to be!

Remember, the website linked above by Devino does not, I repeat does not, mention anything what-so-ever, about any lifeforms of any kind. Weird coincidence? Who knows!

Come on folks, where are these other images (flap and scorpion)? It's not like ATS to be dragging it's feet on such issues!
edit on 20-1-2012 by AmatuerSkyWatcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by AmatuerSkyWatcher

Good work, I was just looking at the same pic.

I thought too they looked like legs. Though they could be tightening rods from the blown up parts...

I wish we could get specs for that probe. Anyone has talent for digging?

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   
we would have to find more of the things we are looking at, at least to prove beyond reasonable doubt, cause this isn't convincing to me at all, that out of everywhere they land on venus, they land in the one place with life? it would need to be expansive and diversified through different species.

I would think that if Venus had any life at all, it would be too small to take an image of, we'd need to send a probe with a microscopic lens, bacteria, viruses etc..

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by NowanKenubi
I wish we could get specs for that probe. Anyone has talent for digging?

best source on Venus probes
www.mentallandscape.com...

oops Devino beat me to it
Getting old

edit on 20-1-2012 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by purplemer
Maybe the rover ran the object over and made it flip.

Its not a rover its a lander

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker
we would have to find more of the things we are looking at, at least to prove beyond reasonable doubt, cause this isn't convincing to me at all, that out of everywhere they land on venus, they land in the one place with life? it would need to be expansive and diversified through different species.

I would think that if Venus had any life at all, it would be too small to take an image of, we'd need to send a probe with a microscopic lens, bacteria, viruses etc..

The thing is, what we think should be happening in certain extreme locales, even here on Earth, is rarely what we find in practise to be the case.

Extremeophiles have been found in some of the most (in what we think) inhospitable environments, yet they thrive. Some even 'breathe' sulpher rather than oxygen. So even here on little old Earth we have species of life that breathe oxygen, carbon dioxide and hydrogen sulphide.

"Truth is stranger than fiction" (always wanted to say that!
).
edit on 20-1-2012 by AmatuerSkyWatcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by DJW001
Venus' atmosphere is nearly 100 times denser than Earth's, with a mean temperature over 400 degrees Celsius. The wind can gust up to 400 km/hr. That might have something to do with it. As I said:

According to your boss NASA

I tried cutting a sheet of titanium I have to make swords... needs a plasma torch to get anywhere. The lens cap only fell a few feet to the ground from the camera

Titanium Melting point, 1941 K, 1668 °C, 3034 °F

Try another answer

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by AmatuerSkyWatcher

There is nothing even REMOTELY looking "organic" on that object, let alone resembling a being or "scorpion".

Seriously, whoever wrote that report about the "beings" and scorpion need to lay off the crack and the vodka.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

I had seen that site, thanks... But there is almost nothing about Venera 14, and what parts are shown does not look like what we see... We need more details!

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by AmatuerSkyWatcher
Extremeophiles have been found in some of the most (in what we think) inhospitable environments, yet they thrive.

Yeah, but there are still limits. No one has yet found an extremophile that lives in boiling water or anything with a temperature above the boiling point. People can hypothesize about lifeforms based on silicon or some other element, but nobody has ever produced an example. Where are the creatures based on bismuth? There's plenty of bismuth on Earth. And a non-carbon based creature could probably do all right because no carbon based life would be interested in eating it. You could have completely independent food chains running at the same time based on a variety of different elements.

And yet, all we got is carbon. Boring old carbon. Kind of maybe makes you think there's something extra special about carbon that makes life possible.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by ALOSTSOUL
reply to post by JimOberg

Heres a picture of Venus's surface taken by the same mission there referring to the the OP.

If I remember rightly they didn't take many pictures because the camera melted.

ETA:

The Venera 9 and 10 landers had two cameras each. Only one functioned because the lens covers failed to separate from the second camera on each lander. The design was changed for Venera 11 and 12, but this change made the problem worse and all cameras failed on those missions. Venera 13 and 14 were the only landers on which all cameras worked properly; although unfortunately, the titanium lens cap on Venera 14 landed precisely on the area which was targeted by the soil compression probe.

ALS

edit on 20-1-2012 by ALOSTSOUL because: (no reason given)

Could the croissant shaped object be the titanium lens cap that fell off preventing the probe from getting a soil sample. Cold the Venusian winds have blown the lens cap further along giving it the motion apparent in the two pictures?

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by flexy123

That's because you base what you think of as organic, as what you find here on Earth. Jellied water balls (like us) tend not do so well in extreme heat.

I'm not saying this thing is a living creature, as I have no idea. But something made this very educated and proffesional man (just look who his employers are), come out and say, he believed they are. What qualifications have you got to counter his statements?

What gives?

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by chr0naut

There is no winds at the surface level. It could be the cap, but there's no real image of it that has been found, yet. I mean a whole one, not broken.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Blue Shift

I think you need to revise that statement: www.fossilmuseum.net...

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   
I still think scientists have their heads up their butts when they assume that life can't exist under 'these conditions' or 'those conditions'. All they are familiar with are terran and lunar conditions, and a bit about martian conditions.

Whatever you believe - whether the universe has been here forever, or it was created by God - it is here for one thing: to support life. I personally believe that life is the RULE rather than the EXCEPTION, and I'd wager that we'll find life just about everywhere we look, once we have the technology to do so.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by AwakeinNM
I still think scientists have their heads up their butts when they assume that life can't exist under 'these conditions' or 'those conditions'. All they are familiar with are terran and lunar conditions, and a bit about martian conditions.

Whatever you believe - whether the universe has been here forever, or it was created by God - it is here for one thing: to support life. I personally believe that life is the RULE rather than the EXCEPTION, and I'd wager that we'll find life just about everywhere we look, once we have the technology to do so.

Couldn't have said it better! Star for you.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by AwakeinNM
I personally believe that life is the RULE rather than the EXCEPTION, and I'd wager that we'll find life just about everywhere we look, once we have the technology to do so.

We've looked in a number of different places, and already on a few different planets, and so far life or something like it has only really been confirmed to exist on Earth. And even through we're slopping over with it in every nook and cranny, we have no idea how it either arose here or got here. Maybe there is life out there somewhere. But the universe is really big and hostile, and so far life has proven to be pretty rare anywhere but Earth.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join