It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PIPA anti-piracy bill vote postponed in Senate

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   

PIPA anti-piracy bill vote postponed in Senate

latimesblogs.latimes.com

Next week's scheduled vote on the PIPA anti-piracy bill has been postponed by Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, handing a defeat to Hollywood and a major victory to Internet companies that launched online protests to battle the legislation and its House companion, known as SOPA.

"In light of recent events, I have decided to postpone Tuesday’s vote on the Protect IP Act," Reid (D-Nev.) said Friday. He called for all sides to work together to resolve "legitimate
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.nationalpost.com

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Talk about delaying the inevitable.

He says "in light of recent events".

What were they expecting, for us to be happy about this?

They're relentless in their pursuit of these policies and they're not fooling anyone when they act like they care what we think about this.

Perhaps Anon's actions from yesterday had a hand in this decision?

I'm confused whether yesterday was the real deal or a FF scenario to strengthen their support for increased Internet censorship.

latimesblogs.latimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 09:32 AM
link   
They're starting to realize we're seriously pissed off - that we've had enough of their corruption and that we're out for their blood now, as can be seen from Anonymous' retaliation. They'll still try to sneak both laws through, of course, but they'll do it when something else is occupying our minds. Distract us with one hand while the other stab us in the back. That's how they roll.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Recent events. Ha. They don't have nearly enough information and virtually no handle of the scope and ramifications of this thing to be voting on it. Last I heard they were calling for some "nerds" to explain this all to them. Yeah well also get them to explain why once again they are being asked to do the bidding of virtually monopolistic cabals.
All in all, a wise move and a win, though.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 09:39 AM
link   
It seems that because they can no longer afford to do the Internet Version 2 that they wanted, that they are desperately trying to turn the original Internet into V2 by totally trying to decimate it with all these new laws and doing it on the cheap.
Hence why this is only being delayed and not thrown out completely. They are like a dog with a bone now and won't let go of it.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 09:52 AM
link   
"Postponed" can be either good or bad. Both sides will be reanalyzing their positions at the moment.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 10:02 AM
link   
To me this means the system works. We were able to change something without firing a shot. It has given me hope. I have felt that my vote is meaningless and my voice, not being heard. Now I feel like....maybe.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Iamschist

I'm happy for you since you're able to find some hope in all of this. Regrettably I don't share your optimism, but I don't necessarily disagree with you.

IMO this is just a stall tactic, hopefully I'm wrong though.

It would be nice if we had a genuine "win" to add to the scoreboard, that's for sure.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Iamschist
To me this means the system works. We were able to change something without firing a shot. It has given me hope. I have felt that my vote is meaningless and my voice, not being heard. Now I feel like....maybe.

The bills sound harmless but as usual......read the fine print!

Maybe they thought we wouldn't notice.

They love to throw those fast balls past us.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Still not a victory in my opinion. It needs to be permanently erased with a new law enacted that provides death penalty even under the mention of internet censorship. Not only that, the lawmakers who made such a law need to be arrested and sent to guantanamo and all their pay docked and them stripped of their citizenship for being a traitor to the USA and its people. Once stage one is completed, their dead bodies will be hung up for the birds to eat in front of all the people and it will be broadcast 24/7 live on CNN.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Flighty

I'm not sure but i think the POTUS could invoke national security and shutdown the entire
internet in the USA if he wanted to.
--------
I guess we could run to Canada and log on up there.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

I hate to admit it but you're right. These criminals seem to forget about the French revolution (guillotine anyone?). I would hate to see society turn into a mob rule mentality but if things don't change soon it will happen. The sad thing is that things must get worse before they get better.

The people will only put up with so much, and we are beyond the breaking point.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Eurisko2012

I'm sure the current POTUS would do this if it were to his advantage. Then he would trot out a handful of of drooling lefty sycophants to claim he has he authority.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   
If they do pass this i can see anons operation growing from like 5500 computers to a whole lot more, i for one would gladly run LOIC or whatever program they use to ddos nowadays

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

Still not a victory in my opinion. It needs to be permanently erased with a new law enacted that provides death penalty even under the mention of internet censorship. Not only that, the lawmakers who made such a law need to be arrested and sent to guantanamo and all their pay docked and them stripped of their citizenship for being a traitor to the USA and its people. Once stage one is completed, their dead bodies will be hung up for the birds to eat in front of all the people and it will be broadcast 24/7 live on CNN.

Bit harsh and nasty?? You leave no room for change, or hope.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Eurisko2012

I guess we could run to Canada and log on up there.

Regrettably things are just as bad up here my friend. Canada is turning into Nazi Germany minus the Germans. Harper is be becoming quite the dictator

Our Internet providers are just as if not worse than the US when it comes to online privacy. Check out our legislation that is in the process of being implemented. The bill names are called C-10 and C-52. It's our Patriot Act.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL

I agree 100% But we need added assurances.

1. Their bodies must be dipped in a latrine after the birds are finished.

2. Bodies of their dead relatives must be dug up and the bones pulverized with sledge hammers.

3. All remains shall be dumped into septic tanks.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   
I think Anon may be in on it with the government agencies.

Notice how all this just happened to fall into place.

Past events seemed to line-up perfectly too.

It was a FF designed to gauge the public opinion.

Now they know how to proceed.

Watch Out !

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

I have been thinking the same thing...

At first I was kind of rooting for Anon, but the more they did their thing, the more their actions played into the hands of certain organizations that are trying to tighten internet regulation.

Even now I keep a level head and will not jump to conclusions, but as you mentioned, everything seems to be falling into place. I have been thinking this for a while now, even before the American water utility play got "hacked" a few months ago.

They sure know how to keep us on our toes, that's for sure...

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   
This is only a delay of the inevitable folks.

Private ad hoc networks will be the main route through which file-sharing will continue to flourish. Passing files network to network via private ad hoc networks will become the norm in the near future.

If you want to get a file from say Boston, MA to Seattle, WA passing it from network to network will be the most secure route, unless you want to face The Department of Homeland Security knocking on your door. The Internet 2.0 will be watched like an hawk 24/7/365 by everyone from MPA to the NSA.

Internet 2.0 will come up from the rear and plant itself in the well tended and nutrient rich soil that was prepared for it by the lobbyist and special interest groups. Get ready for it...I have been preparing for it since ARPANET.

Once the internet went commercial I knew it was only a matter of time.

However honestly, I did not know or realize that it would be only 23 short years though.

<<   2 >>

join