It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Democrats Are the Ones Pushing Web Censorship

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

I do digital artwork, and I have had pics stolen from websites. I look at is as promotion.

A lady out of Virginia snagged a pic and used it for a label. I guess someone told her the risk, or she felt guilty, but she contacted me to let me know and apologize. Long story short, she sent me a little bit of product and she can now use the art in good conscience. I would probably have never known otherwise.
Piracy is wrong, but the cure can be worse than the illness, and this legislation is. I suspect that far more is at play than piracy, as the web has overtaken the MSM as a source of real news and information, as well as merchandise of all sorts. Advertisers have to hate the web.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by SurrealisticPillow
Advertisers have to hate the web.

Well, mega advertisers surely..but small town guys love it..on the web, all things are equal.

In saying that, I am still drinking Dr. Pepper verses Joes peppered cola, I am still munching on brand name munchies, eating at well known chain restaurants, etc...so I am still being influenced by msm advertising same as before...I personally think the net doesn't kill off megacorps, it simply adds another avenue.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

Some of them don't even make sense though. For instance, Dollar General...what the hell are they tossing support in for? they aren't trying to sell movies or music..they sell junk for a buck..yet for some reason they are supporting it...
Some are obvious of course...media giants and whatnot, but its the retail things that blow my mind (especially the ones that don't sell movies, music, etc...again, dollar general..wtf)

I'm going to hazard a guess on dollar general. The area where I hunt is pretty remote. The nearest town is actually the biggest town in the county and the biggest one for about 40 or so miles any any direction. They have a stoplight, a grocery store, post office, court house (its the county seat), dairy queen, hardware store, a few little mom and pop places and a dollar general.

You'd be amazed how many tiny little towns have a dollar general. In this town the dollar general is always the busiest place in town. The sell bargain bin dvds, cds, and tapes. Think the "buy 'em before we throw 'em out" bin at wal-mart. But, here I see people buying them all the time because there isn't really any other place to get movies or music in the town unless they drive 40 miles or download it.

One of those cases were lots of little sales probably add up to some decent money.
edit on 20-1-2012 by Frogs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   
This morning I was listening to NPR and they had a little piece on Katy Perry and her record label.

The question was: in an age where record companies claim to be hurting, are they?

The poor label only netted about $8 million in the US on sales of her record.

The executive said "it sounds like a lot but it's rare that labels have an artist that sells so well."

To me that simply says labels arent selective enough about their productions and put out too much crap.

The death of these bog box stores and big labels and big everthing might mean we have to pay a little more for our products but it should also mean the products we get should be of a better quality since there isnt enough room to waste dollars and time on a gamble.

It comes back to a pair of crappy jeans for $5 that will wear out in 3 months or a decent pair of jeans for $30 that will last 10 years. Of course this in a world where idiots will spend $200 on a pair of jeans they'll wear for one season.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

The death of these bog box stores and big labels and big everthing might mean we have to pay a little more for our products but it should also mean the products we get should be of a better quality since there isnt enough room to waste dollars and time on a gamble.

These record labels have been screwing the artists for years. Lynyrd Skynyrd even made a song about it, "working for the MCA", I think was the name. Times are changing and they need to provide a real service or go out of business like everybody else, not try to buy Congress.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Interesting but to me it's not important who's getting the money.

I want to know who's giving this money.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by SurrealisticPillow

No it's the Congress that claims / labels themselves "democrat" but are southern "Democrats" that are really republicans.

Ombama has his ankles tied with a congress that wears Democratic hats but in actuality are repubicans that vote for the interest of the 1%.

Blast away...............I'm going to ignore ALL INSULTS from the pod people.
edit on 21-1-2012 by ofhumandescent because: spelling

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   

after reading some of the replys on this matter, no one cares about protecting your published work on the internet, its seems that people don't want facts on who is trying censor or steal your work, music, flims, science research, its the small print in this bill, like the health care bill, it had small print stating the IRS can look at your returns if you did'nt own or buy health insurance, and assess a fine on your tax return, and the jobs bill, it had small print stating big loop hole on suing business owners that refused to hire you because of NO work record, and that would cause more peolple to lose there business, like in the sixies when landlords lost there propertys, because of non rentals to blacks, look at those large empty lots, run down homes, that was your DEMOCRATS in the sixies, Judges protecting thugs in court, Dem judges, Pres. Obama has lost 20 members of congress to retirement because of fail policys, its insider info that sent them running, BUT no one asks WHERE ARE THE JOBS

edit on 24-1-2012 by booyah23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Its because you did not, state that your work is not open source, plus you may have not ask for credit for work, some sites of old did just that they posted on their sites you must ask in writing via e-mail, to use any part of the story or art work, open source means no copy right portection, your work is protected when you post because of a time stamp, it stamp on everything you publish, on the web, like my replys to your post, anything in writing has a time stamp, every phone call, pictures sent on your cell phone, e-mails, if you have yahoo e-mail look at any e-mail at the bottom, click full headers and see it for your self, the time it was sent, the time the mail server receive it, on sent it along to you. and the spamers real e-mail addresses, not the ones on the reply area, use a watermark on your work,

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by booyah23

Yeah, I use a watermark now. I wasn't too concerned at the time because I had very little traffic. In this case, I got a case of honey out of the deal, so all is good.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join