It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

If evolution is right, why do people have such trouble accepting alien life is out there?

page: 2
2
<< 1   >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 01:06 AM
link   
As an skeptic, atheist and all i don't any kind of problem accepting the existence of alien life, but like others said, one thing is to accept aliens must exist and other totally different is that they are visiting us, kidnapping people, shapehifting, leading conspiracies, using us as slaves, building stuff with stones, etc etc.

If you are not bright enough to understand the difference between those two things then your question doesn't make sense because it won't matter how many skeptics/people who believe in evolution says, what you want is to us to accept the ridiculous idea of gray aliens coming from zeta reticuli to suck the blood of a cow.




posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 01:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by BillyTJames
Its all those religious nut jobs whose jaws will hit the floor and scream "demon!!" who wont accept the fact that they're not the top of the evolutionary heap..

People probably dont want to accept the fact that they are not the best in the universe because it would cause them to actually use they're brains and see the lies that have been fed to them by religions and government.

Yep, that sums up my opinion too.
But why do legitimate scientist take this view?
Ok, I realize they require more proof, but the odds of not having life out there are pretty much non existant (at least bacterial, etc).
Its like they believe in dark energy, no proof there either. Blackholes, wormholes....more evidence exists for alien life.
If we took a view that we are not unique, and 1 of many, ae would be somwhere else i feel.
Maybe on a spaceship hitting on aliengirls, enjoying a doubbie.
Godspeed.



posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 01:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by MonteroReal
As an skeptic, atheist and all i don't any kind of problem accepting the existence of alien life, but like others said, one thing is to accept aliens must exist and other totally different is that they are visiting us, kidnapping people, shapehifting, leading conspiracies, using us as slaves, building stuff with stones, etc etc.

If you are not bright enough to understand the difference between those two things then your question doesn't make sense because it won't matter how many skeptics/people who believe in evolution says, what you want is to us to accept the ridiculous idea of gray aliens coming from zeta reticuli to suck the blood of a cow.

I think it is you, who is not bright enough to understand a question.
Read the OP, your message. Here is the perfect example. You write about whats on your mind, but not on the question or OP. You get all defensive, and accuse me of not being bright, when you have failed to understand a sentance without your minds biased projections.
So reread the OP, the question and your post!
If it still doesnt make sense, your are definatley not bright enough, but reread my posts, maybe you can still do that as a skeptic? Or do you just deciede in advance?
And 1 more thing:
Only your mind brings abduction stories here.
Its in YOUR mind, not my mind.
No abduction stories here my friend.
edit on 21-1-2012 by BBalazs because: Edit



posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 02:40 AM
link   
The majority of Americans do believe Aliens exist from polls I have read. No one to my understanding has been able to explain how life arose ex nilo.



posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 02:47 AM
link   
I am quite certain there is alien life - indeed, probably millions of other planets with life as we would recognise it on them

But, of all the species that have appeared on Earth, over hundreds of millions of years, only 1 has ever becoming what we could call an advanced intelligence. And that only very, very recently. Based on those odds, I expect the vast majority of other planets in the universe that are similar to Earth to be teeming with life - but the sort of life that has existed on Earth for 99.9999% of the time there has been life here. ie not like us. Not with cars and computers and lasers. Advance intelligence is rare. Though I would expect that there will be some.



posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 02:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Essan
I am quite certain there is alien life - indeed, probably millions of other planets with life as we would recognise it on them

But, of all the species that have appeared on Earth, over hundreds of millions of years, only 1 has ever becoming what we could call an advanced intelligence. And that only very, very recently. Based on those odds, I expect the vast majority of other planets in the universe that are similar to Earth to be teeming with life - but the sort of life that has existed on Earth for 99.9999% of the time there has been life here. ie not like us. Not with cars and computers and lasers. Advance intelligence is rare. Though I would expect that there will be some.

I agree.
I also think were alien life to contact us, it would probably be by accident and via probes, or some biologically enhanced space object (still probes though)...its slightly of topic, but what do you think?



posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 06:05 AM
link   
reply to post by BBalazs
 


"If evolution is right, why do people have such trouble accepting alien life is out there?"

Because most of humanity inherently recognises that evolution NEVER deals with the beginning and therefore humans retain an inherent knowledge of the specialness of humanity. It does not remove an inbuilt belief that there is a purpose to life.

Because most don't need to accept that "alien life" is out there to make their lives worthwhile.

Because most still have a belief in a divine source and therefore have no need to ponder about "alien life". A sci- fi movie might be exciting to watch, but it peaks no inherent interest.

Bottom line - evolution, no matter it's changing definition, does not address the beginning of life. It does not remove creation in most peoples minds and hearts.



posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 06:23 AM
link   
reply to post by BBalazs
 


Yes, more than likely. What I wouldn't expect is humanoid aliens about the same size as humans with the same senses as humans, breathing a similar concentration of oxygen to that found on Earth, designed to live on a planet with the same gravity as Earth and with a biology very compatible with Earth's biology. Unless they evolved on Earth!



posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by WhoKnows100
reply to post by BBalazs
 


"If evolution is right, why do people have such trouble accepting alien life is out there?"

Because most of humanity inherently recognises that evolution NEVER deals with the beginning and therefore humans retain an inherent knowledge of the specialness of humanity. It does not remove an inbuilt belief that there is a purpose to life.

Because most don't need to accept that "alien life" is out there to make their lives worthwhile.

Because most still have a belief in a divine source and therefore have no need to ponder about "alien life". A sci- fi movie might be exciting to watch, but it peaks no inherent interest.

Bottom line - evolution, no matter it's changing definition, does not address the beginning of life. It does not remove creation in most peoples minds and hearts.









I think you point to a very important fact.
Evolution is a fact, an observation. It isn't even really a theory, it just that all finds back it up.
Evolution is akin to saying there are male and female (and in rare cases androgyn) humanoids.
Its really a fact, a better of observation.
Why people have trouble accepting this is beyond me.
It has no implications on god.
It is also very likely to be the OM of life, wherever it is, if it is forced to change, by nature or circumstances.



posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 07:34 AM
link   
I personally think the universe is packed with life, but complex life is very rare, and intelligent even rarer. Rare is still alot given the sheer size of the universe, but while the size works in favour of intelligent complex life occurring, it makes it much more unlikley we will ever come in to contact with it.



new topics

top topics



 
2
<< 1   >>

log in

join