It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

France Suspends Afghan Military Operations After Troop Deaths

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 08:14 AM
link   

France Suspends Afghan Military Operations After Troop Deaths

www.voanews.com

France says it is suspending all training and joint operations in Afghanistan after an Afghan soldier shot dead four French troops.

President Nicolas Sarkozy also says he is considering an early withdrawal of French troops from Afghanistan if security conditions "are not clearly established," following Friday's attack.

In December, an Afghan soldier opened fire and killed two members of the French Foreign Legion in Kapisa.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 08:14 AM
link   
I am glad that France is standing up for the soldier's deaths. I do find it ironic that France stood up and done something about the deaths of their National soldiers, but hardly lifted a finger when it came to the French Foreign Legion deaths from Afghan troops (although, they are expendable according to France).

One thing i am peeved about though is that when these attacks happen to Australian troops, our leader doesn't give a crap at all! She just says "These incidents are infrequent and shouldn't be used as a decision to leave Afghanistan"

www.voanews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 08:25 AM
link   
american tools. fighting for a country that can defend itself against an enemy that had no interest or desire to attack any of the countries in afghanistan.

do you think al qaeda actually knows or cares what happens in australia. or france for that matter.

or even knows where canada is.

maybe england would be a legit target because they have a beautiful and peace loving reputation where ever they go.

george bush really f-cked up the world.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by daaskapital

it may come as news to some - but suspending military operation , just because you suffer caualties is and assanine " policy " that ensures victory for your opponent

all they have to do is inflict some casaualties - and voila , withdrawl - if that is your " policy " then there is no point in having armed forces - because they cannot hope to enforce any policy

why does it not surprise me that this news origionates from paris ????????????

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by randomname

Mate, i agree with you.

Most of the people that we are fighting don't know why we are over there, what nationality we even are. They don't know who's who, based of a flag. No one should be there!

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

Do we have to start making French jokes?

No matter who it is, it is a safe decision. We hav gotten no where in this war and all that is happening is that soldiers are dying for nothing, training troops who use that training to kill our servicemen and women. I think France is smart that they are considering pulling out. If i was the leader of any country i would. Everyone has had enough.
edit on 20-1-2012 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 08:34 AM
link   

We have gotten no where in the War?? Yeah we have. They are all just sitting under Iran and Pakistan diplomatic relations atm.

If we didnt want to piss Pakistan / Iran off ... the terrorist would be tracked down and slaughtered.

You leave now ... they come to a town near you when they gather more strength and money.

They need to be hunted down and killed. We cant do that with Pakistan pussy footing around. Pakistan is falling apart.
edit on 20-1-2012 by milkyway12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by milkyway12

Maybe i should reiterate my quote. Okay, we have made some progress, however "The War On Terror" is virtually an infinite war, there is no specific target besides terrorism. What do you define as terrorism? Anything that is against the government or who is out to harm citizens? We are still fighting terrorists in Afghanistan, and in reality it has gotten worse. If i may quote an Australian SASR Operater "When Australian forces came to Afghanistan, we could drive around in unarmoured vehicles doing anything, now, you wouldn't leave the base without an armoured vehicle." It has gotten worse.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 08:43 AM
link   

I think the reason is many nations are tired of having casualties but no progress. When our nations leave these lands the locals will kill each other off in a struggle for ultimate power.

Why would France let their soldiers die for a concept of peace and liberty that is long dead?
Why should they try to achieve peace and liberty with the contrary of these concepts?

Do you seriously think you can achieve peace by war?
edit on 20/1/12 by novuslibertas because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   
lmao @ the french
took them this long to wave the white flag im almost impressed well at least it wasnt a war they started war is pretty much stupid imo but the french lets just say i have no love for them
edit on 20-1-2012 by pez1975 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Ah some fine old Christian Mississipi fear, hate and war-mongery. Give it a rest. The reasons we're in Afghan are Poppy Protection (introducing a US/Mexico style drug war to Russia), Strategic location for Iran/Russia strikes, and Oil.

That's it. Isn't Osama dead? Wasn't that it? You got regime change to boot. Isn't that what they went in for? Oh no you want the entire Mujaheddin hunting down... the what? The Mujaheddin - Al Qaeda as they were known when they were a bought and paid for CIA asset. And there you are cheer leading the deaths of all the innocent pawns involved in this illegal occupation. Shame.

Edit: Well done Sarkozy but too little too late and realistically you didn't think it was ever going to happen, leading up to the election you wanted to pull out a whole lot sooner.
edit on 20-1-2012 by Pr0t0 because: add line

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Saddly there will always be a "Next War" and when WWIII happens, maybe the French military can serve sandwiches to all the soldiers who have to stay in a crappy place doing what soldiers do.

Sorry for the men lost though, that sucks always.
Honestly pulling out is they best option. I was just wanting to get a good dig in on the French is all.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by pez1975
lmao the @ french
took them this long to wave the white flag im almost impressed well at least it wasnt a war they started war is pretty much stupid imo but the french lets just say i have no love for them
edit on 20-1-2012 by pez1975 because: (no reason given)

How can you not have any respect for the French when without them, your country wouldn't exist? You are an ignorant tool to believe otherwise.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by pez1975

... your reasoning brought the states to what it is now. Once a wonderful nation. What a shame.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 08:51 AM
link   
I think Sarkozy is doing his own impression of Obama: " We will close Gitmo soon and bring back all the soldiers!"...

Since it is election time in France, I think he simply wants to gain some votes from the people of France. French people also know this whole war has been made for the wrong reasons...

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Oh please, you are pretty much paying tribal chiefs and warlords not to shoot you....all you can do is hold the densely populated urban areas, the vast rural areas of Afghanistan are not under your control and never will be, complete waste of money on a war that will never be won.
edit on 20-1-2012 by Solomons because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   

I have my own reason for not like the french my father and grand father died in Vietnam ill leave it at that but thanks for your opinion. i just dont care for the french for a number of foreign policy they have adopted over the last 60 years and everyone has a right to there opinion and i would ask you keep personal attacks to your self.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by pez1975

I am sorry for the loss of your father and Grandfather. However i fail to see how my response was a personal attack against you, and if you feel it was, then i am sorry.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by pez1975

Sorry for the loss of your dad and grand-dad, but I always heard that Vietnam was a war the US had no reasons to get involved in; how is that the fault of France?...

___

As I said, it is political move on Sarkozy's side to get more votes, IMO.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by daaskapital

Do we have to start making French jokes?

No matter who it is, it is a safe decision. We hav gotten no where in this war and all that is happening is that soldiers are dying for nothing, training troops who use that training to kill our servicemen and women. I think France is smart that they are considering pulling out. If i was the leader of any country i would. Everyone has had enough.

Actually, i disagree with that statement. Whether the troops should be there or not, they are part of NATO and have volunteered troops for the operations in Afghanistan. Threatening to withdraw them because they have suffered some casualties is nothing short of scandalous - what did they expect in a war zone? It shows their other allies that they can't really be trusted.

Now, i actually totally agree that no troops should be in Afghanistan but they are entirely separate issues and should therefore be treated as such.

Good thread though thanks OP!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join