It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Taking down websites-What's the point?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 07:43 AM
link   
So Anonymous go around taking down websites as a sign of protest, how does taking down a website affect the people they're trying to affect? 'Ooo my website is down, big deal' is what I'd say if my website got taken down by my 'greatest enemy' . It doesn't affect big corporations at all because we go buy their stuff whether we like it or not? So shouldn't we be affecting bottom lines to make a tangible difference? Like majorly, given we ARE the source of that bottom line.
edit on 20-1-2012 by ragsntatters because: added a word

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 08:19 AM
link   
like the psn outage.

they hope consumers will get mad at corporations for not securing their services better instead of getting mad at the people responsible for cutting it in the first place.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by ragsntatters

?
Sooooo you think the internet is something one can simply disregard?

Better yet, imagine that you can't reply to my post because a hacker took down this site. It has happened, recently as a matter of fact. ATS does get hit by hackers. That's the internet for ya, it the wild west!

Anon attacking Gov't websites directly affects Washington DC, and DC doesn't like to play by anyone's rules but their own.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Swills

no, but i do believe that taking down a website is a slight annoyance making no tangible difference. I do support the idea behind anonymous but believe their time is better spent disrupting revenue streams in a more efficient way than ddos to make them be taken seriously. at this stage they're a mere annoyance that wont change the way the system currently operates.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by ragsntatters

It's a show of face. If you are the almighty Government, and a bunch of kids are defacing your domain, it looks bad on you. It's political more than anything.

It may seem like nothing, but think about how much police power has been used to curb simple things like graffiti.

ETA: Neither condoning or condemning, only offering my observations.
edit on 20-1-2012 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by ragsntatters
So Anonymous go around taking down websites as a sign of protest, how does taking down a website affect the people they're trying to affect? 'Ooo my website is down, big deal' is what I'd say if my website got taken down by my 'greatest enemy' . It doesn't affect big corporations at all because we go buy their stuff whether we like it or not? So shouldn't we be affecting bottom lines to make a tangible difference? Like majorly, given we ARE the source of that bottom line.

Exactly, and the media coverage it's getting, can lead to no other suggestion than it's an CIA co-operation for purposes yet to be revealed. Nothing come's from these few hours of downtime, and people cheer to anon's, like they have made a change, yet they have made nothing but ping attack's, quotes from movies, few people gone out for a rampage and got criminal record for spitting a cop's face or trashing public places.

Oh and then there was mr. Assage, who raised a great deal of money from supporters around the world, what did he revealed, that really mattered? nothing, it's like people forget these frauds in just few eye blinks. sad, really

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by randomname

that's more like the way to get the attention of the corporations as it affects $$ and that is what the system operates on. something tangible in the large picture needs to be done e.g. take down wall street trading servers or block all bank transfers for a bank for a couple days, surely there must be hackers within anon that are capable of this , if there are not then they should learn how to rather than ddos-ing websites that don't affect the company in a real manner.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 08:39 AM
link   
There is already talk about the ramifications of what happened during this:

[A]n attack this big on this many government sites will effectively erase those good Internet vibrations that were rattling around Capitol Hill this week and harden the perspective of legislators and law enforcement who want to believe that the Web community is made up of wild, law-breaking pirates. That, ultimately, may help strengthen the business–and the emotional–case for the pro-SOPA, pro-PIPA lobby. Did the feds just get the last lulz?

Link

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by thelastlineofwhat

Originally posted by ragsntatters

Exactly, and the media coverage it's getting, can lead to no other suggestion than it's an CIA co-operation for purposes yet to be revealed. Nothing come's from these few hours of downtime, and people cheer to anon's, like they have made a change, yet they have made nothing but ping attack's, quotes from movies, few people gone out for a rampage and got criminal record for spitting a cop's face or trashing public places.

Oh and then there was mr. Assage, who raised a great deal of money from supporters around the world, what did he revealed, that really mattered? nothing, it's like people forget these frauds in just few eye blinks. sad, really

totally yeah, people are like 'oh there is someone fighting the good fight on our behalf' but really...are they? the media plays it up like 'oo anonymous, this badass group took down a govt website for 2 hours they're a force to be reckoned with!' really? so there's an illusion of a counter balance which isn't really one.

top topics

join