It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

While MPAA watches SOPA crumble, digital rentals rise as physical rentals decline

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 07:09 AM
link   

While MPAA watches SOPA crumble, digital rentals rise as physical rentals decline

www.digitaltrends.com

According to a new study conducted by the NPD Group, video-on-demand and streaming video from services like Netflix were on the rise during 2011 and 31 percent of all rentals in North America are attributed to digital delivery options. Alternatively, total physical DVD and Blu-ray rentals fell by 11 percent over the year due to the decline in Blockbuster as well as flat Netflix growth. Redbox is the only bright spot in the physical rental market as unit volume increased by 29 percent over 2010, thus increasing Redbox’s share of the rental market to 37 percent.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 07:09 AM
link   
To Bad MPAA if your Human that is huh the way they are responding to the attacks isn't quite human at least the way they reply.

People are laughing at that at least the way they reply all the time.

As for this news story there you have it folks! people are and have stopped buying the physical copies of movies and even CD soundtracks and i have that story i linked is pretty much TRUE.

As for myself my last physical copy of a film was avatar cause i believe that movie was worth buying.

But that was the only one i bought and thats it.

As for the Music CDs i stopped buying them ages ago after i realized what a waste of money it was.

www.digitaltrends.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 20-1-2012 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agent_USA_Supporter
people are and have stopped buying the physical copies of movies and even CD soundtracks

They are BUYING and RENTING digital copies. That's good. They are paying for their entertainment just like the rest of us. They are not stealing it any longer. This is a good thing.

It doesn't matter if a person buys a physical or digital copy, as long as they pay for it.
That way, the artist gets his or her cut.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 07:30 AM
link   
And even with digital delivery, the costs never change.
Money grubbing bastards is what they are, pure and simple.
Just like when CD's came out. Cost them .49 cents to make, but charged more than vinyl.
They are no better than the oil companies. They'll find any excuse in the book to rape your wallet.
I don't go to the movies. I don't buy DVD's anymore.
I use netflix, and even then it isn't that often. Most of the stuff Hollywood comes out with now days is all garbage anyway. how many times can you retell the same story line?

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by haarvik
And even with digital delivery, the costs never change.
Money grubbing bastards is what they are, pure and simple.
Just like when CD's came out. Cost them .49 cents to make, but charged more than vinyl.
They are no better than the oil companies. They'll find any excuse in the book to rape your wallet.
I don't go to the movies. I don't buy DVD's anymore.
I use netflix, and even then it isn't that often. Most of the stuff Hollywood comes out with now days is all garbage anyway. how many times can you retell the same story line?

this x 1000

bunch of overpriced disappointments. don't know how many new movies in the last few years where I could kinda figure the plot and twist less then halfway into it. that coupled with terrible acting and over reliance on cgi makes me think hollywood pegs us for suckers.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 08:13 AM
link   
I have not bought Music since CD's have come about, I used Vinyl. I have not been to a theater in 10 + years. I have HD cable, I have time to wait. I'm in NO hurry. I listen to the radio during work.

I have not been supporting any "content industries" for YEARS. I don't buy sponsor products for the little TV or music that I listen too, does that make me a "freetard" I sure Hope so.

I worked in the pharmaceutical industry a few years back, it cost (in production) a penny for 1000 tablets, yet a bottle of 60 tables was anywhere from $24 to $50.

that's when my eyes were opened
I bought Duke Nukem, for $20 new a few months after it came out ( at $49 )

I buy used off Craigslist. I will not support the thieves in the content industries any longer

When Content companies aren't moral ( just look at Hollywood and see whats up with the folks there) why would I give them ANY monies?

when they can show exact figures of loss and not estimated ones ( I "estimate" that they and the Government has cost me personally my SS checks) why support them at all?

I cannot believe that folks as a whole are that uninformed, but am not surprised, I see lazy people at work all day, not lazy as in wont work, I mean lazy as in "i'll do enough to get by, but no extra effort" no follow up and things.

new topics

top topics

join