It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New school mascot "Cougar" rejected for fear of offending middle aged women!

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

Originally posted by ballisticmousse
Why not ban sweatshirts then, bearing the logoof the "Yankies" on the ground that it might upset people from Alabama or South Carolina?

I'm offended by sweat.

Could you please stop using the term "sweatshirt".

Thank you.

And I'm offended by the word "Shirt".

Now just stop it or I'll do like everyone else does...call my lawyer and sue.

On second thought, I'm more offended by lawyers. Carry on...

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Crakeur

Actually P.U.M.A.(s) are the next generation after Cougars. It means Please Understand My Arthritis

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   
My school's mascot is a cougar. Our motto is cougar pride.
I hate my school.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   
WHAT?

Oh my goodness. This is even worse than "Bah Bah Rainbow Sheep".
What ever happened to having a little backbone, people?

Did I miss something?

Is the scientific community going to be forced to rename the actual animal now, or will they have to kill them off as to not offend anyone?

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 12:01 AM
link   
I found the Wiki article on Arcadia University from my area, the history section is worth the read:

Arcadia University

History

In July 2001, upon attaining university status, Beaver College officially changed its name to Arcadia University. It was thought that a new name would emphasize the school's position as one of the top small institutions of higher learning on the East Coast, and would cement its change in designation from "college" to "university." The decision was also made in part to shed its association with the former commonly derided name. As then-president Bette Landman noted, "(The name) too often elicits ridicule in the form of derogatory remarks pertaining to the rodent, the TV show Leave It to Beaver and the vulgar reference to the female anatomy."

This decision resulted in Arcadia University being included as a question in the 20th anniversary edition of Trivial Pursuit. The question, in the news category, was: What Pennsylvania institution changed its name to Arcadia University in 2001, after web filters began blocking its old moniker?
During the subsequent years, memorabilia from the former name became very popular for Arcadia students to give as gifts.

Wiki

Priceless.

The kids at that school should turn around to the administration and tell them: "If you won't let us use the Cougar as our mascot, we want to use the Beaver instead."

Something tells me they would change their mind about the Cougar mascot real fast.

edit on 1/21/12 by FortAnthem because:

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join