It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New school mascot "Cougar" rejected for fear of offending middle aged women!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 01:29 AM
link   
sports.yahoo.com...

WOW.Just..wow.

Is this really how far we've come in America?

People got some dirty minds around there if they associate a cougar with the sexual exploits of middle aged women before..ya know.. the actual animal.

You might think maybe it's the high Mormon population that sparked this rejections, but the nearby college mascot is a cougar!

Oh the insanity!

Doh I suppose I shoulda put this in the social issues forum, feel free to move it mods

edit on 20-1-2012 by Gigatronix because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 01:33 AM
link   
Why not ban sweatshirts then, bearing the logoof the "Yankies" on the ground that it might upset people from Alabama or South Carolina?

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 01:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Gigatronix

Why not name the team after the school board.

The Weak-Willed Wonder Weanies!

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 01:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by ballisticmousse
Why not ban sweatshirts then, bearing the logoof the "Yankies" on the ground that it might upset people from Alabama or South Carolina?

I'm offended by sweat.

Could you please stop using the term "sweatshirt".

Thank you.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 01:38 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Normally I'd chuckle at the absurdity of what you're saying, but after seeing this story I'm afraid I might offend somebody for thinking it was funny

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 01:39 AM
link   
Really? Just really? That is honestly laughable. This is really just a stupid and silly move.

PC (Political Correctness) is killing this country and it's a real shame.

Maybe we should rename the animal as well so they don't offend middle aged women

edit on 20-1-2012 by gimme_some_truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 01:43 AM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

And what kind of message does it send to the kids?

"Hey kids, how'd you like to name your very own mascot?"

"Yayyy lets name it the cougars so we can be like the nearby college team!"

"Ok the majority of you voted so that's what it's gonna be!"

"Oh wait, cougar is also a euphemism for middle aged women having sex with young guys. Can't have that kids sorry, some woman MIGHT be offended so screw what you voted for."

"Awww...wait...what?"

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 01:55 AM
link   

Wow....it's bad when you read something from The Onion and think it's a real story, but what's worse is reading a real story and thinking it must be from The Onion because it's so ridiculous! (as in this case)

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 01:56 AM
link   

There was a mascot name change at a local High School several years back. Their mascot was a Racoon but they went by the "Coons". As I am sure you know, A "Coon" is not just a nickname for racoons, but also a racial slur against black people.

After deliberation, they decided to keep the Racoon, but they had to call them selves the fighting Racoons, rather than the fighting Coons.

Now that one, I admit I can understand and support.

But cougars? It might offend middle aged women?I just can't imagine what they were thinking with over ruling the choice of mascot here.

And you are right, it is not fair to the kids who got to choose. Not fair at all.

Those who rejected the decision,should really be ashamed of themselves.
edit on 20-1-2012 by gimme_some_truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 02:04 AM
link   
When I was in the Boy Scouts, the interns at our summer camp were called Counselors In Training. Everywhere young scouts went around camp they would chant. "CIT,CIT, Crap In the Toilet". The district big wigs got together and decided to change the name of the interns because they felt the interns were taking too much heat. They changed the name to Staff Helpers In Training.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 02:05 AM
link   
Jeepers, its a bloody animal, it's been the name of the animal for god only knows how long and only recently been used as a term for these women.
The cougar cats should be offended, not the women!

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 02:08 AM
link   
Indecently the Cougars were my schools rival in elementary school.

OT: Hmm I can't tell if this is for real or if Yahoo got its source form the Onion or something. It sounds to crazy to be true.

EDIT: I just remembered my schools mascot was the mountain lion. Isn't that the same animal?
edit on 1/20/2012 by Mcupobob because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 02:09 AM
link   
People being offended so easily offends me.

Wonder if I could raise a stink about that.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 02:12 AM
link   
reply to post by groingrinder

Priceless!

Reminds of me of my younger, more naive days, when we discovered that "fag" was French for cigarette(or something like that) and we went around saying dumb things like "Hey I need a fag" or" I need to smoke a fag". We'd get all kinds of nasty looks and just laugh hysterically.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 02:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Mcupobob

That's sad how ridiculous this is, when it's literally UNBELIEVABLE. I am gonna go back and do some digging just to confirm this is a legit story though.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 02:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mcupobob
Indecently the Cougars were my schools rival in elementary school.

OT: Hmm I can't tell if this is for real or if Yahoo got its source form the Onion or something. It sounds to crazy to be true.

Ironically enough, the mascot at my school was, "Horny Middle-Aged Women".

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 02:26 AM
link   
Here are some other links I could find: so far the story looks (sadly) legit:

www.fox13now.com...

And here is a link to a petition started to debate the mascot and colors, it would seem here that the issue is more with choosing something more unique in regards to nearby mascot names:

www.ipetitions.com...
No mention of cougar euphemisms.

And here is a quote from the school website, note that it would appear that the board did all the voting with no mention of the kids having any say:

The Charger is the mascot of the new Corner Canyon High School in Draper. The Board voted unanimously to select the Chargers from a roster of several potential mascots. The list included Cougars, Diamondbacks, Falcons and Raptors. No other high school in Utah has adopted Chargers as a mascot. Board members noted the alliteration of Corner Canyon Chargers, and that a Charger, a war horse, was selected because it is a prominent animal in Draper and an image of strength that could unify the community

Not really sure whats goin on here now...without being able to confirm the central element to the story I can;t confirm or refute the premise.
edit on 20-1-2012 by Gigatronix because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 02:36 AM
link   
I'm sorry but this is absolutely outrageous!

Soon the word ELEPHANT will be banned from the public in the great country of US, because of the fear the word may offend the obese.

Then our public in the next 100 years will be banned from reading and writing for it may cause differences in the human race and communities, back to caveman then only to advance, then to destroy, yada, yada ,yada...... history repeats itself.

And...... soon the word "BEARS" will be banned in the fear that it will fuel the ego of bullies in school... Lame and so disgusted that people are without knowing, destroying our young in education.. there is more to worry about then the name of an animal,. Whaaa?? your the EAGLES? what are you? better then us? MOM!!!!!!!!!

COUGER, ....SO WHAT?????? AN ANIMAL. UGGHH, LOGGING OFF, LOL

Let's call them the ,, NEUTRALS, thats not taken yet is it, let's make everyone equal and quit the independent thinking of individuals

yes, i'm done with my rant on topic..
edit on 20-1-2012 by AK907ICECOLD because: Added a lil love

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 02:37 AM
link   

Well that makes me sad. I'm not sure what to say though. Was there seriously anybody that would have been offended to name the school the cougars? Anybody at all? Or did the school board do this for Sh*ts and giggles, hoping to end up on the news?

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 02:38 AM
link   
reply to post by MisterFister103

I'm offended, by you offending me for being offending, i hope your offended, LOL

AWESOME!

Much Love

S&F, because I believe that those who understand this thread will oppose this "movement" in schools.
edit on 20-1-2012 by AK907ICECOLD because: added last line

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join