It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

if you won the powerball or lotto wha would you do?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 11:22 PM
link   
I would do the usual take care of personal business for myself and friend buy a nice house and new car for my friend but I would also like to have some type of facility to help the needy get back their respect of course I know it doesn't work for everyone but if they were addicts I'd at least try to help them find a plae for their rehabilitation if possible.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by 1loserel2

Too the moon I would go. I would start a venture with Space X or something for a push for the first civilian moon orbit.

After that I could die happy have being in space and among the stars.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Great question..and I'm going to be what surely will be an oddball here. I won't say cars, yachts or jet planes. No mansions in Beverly Hills or Malibu for me. Nope...

I would take out what I needed to buy a modest but clean home in a good Midwestern neighborhood where having money wouldn't make me weird for the area. I'd then insure my son wanted for nothing in terms of Medical care or Education for the rest of his life. The rest, he can earn...but he'll have those basics handled.

The rest? I would honestly spend in finding ways to help others who ARE willing to help themselves..but need just that little support or helping hand to get things rolling for themselves. I think I would take great joy in seeing motivated people in that position achieve success with that little nudge I'd be in a position to give. No interest charged..heck, no loan at all. Just a gift given once I could feel sure it wouldn't be wasted with no long term gain.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Load up on food and ammunition just in case. Buy a few luxury items here and there and just sit on the rest.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by 1loserel2

I'd invest heavily in solutions like eCat, and other sustainable energy solutions.
I'd build my own hidey hole luxury underground bunker.

and disappear.

the rest of you can have the rest of the planet.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 11:36 PM
link   
First, it depends on size of winnings:

Buy a couple of properties (furnish them), pay university fees, car for each of the kids, spread some money equally between children, help pay off close friend's mortgages, save the rest.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Get me and my family out of the ghetto and somewhere decent.
I'd move to Alaska
They probably wouldn't join me, nobody likes the cold.

Drop off the grid and live happily ever after.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 11:52 PM
link   
I'd build a self sustaining bunker big enough to fit all you ATSers and arm it to the teeth. Then we would hold an epic battle till the bitter end with the elitists.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 11:57 PM
link   
If by chance I was lucky enough to win the 100 million dollar powerball I would,

1.) give my mother, father, and sister each 1 Million dollars. This would allow my parents to retire, and my sister could do what ever she wanted. (-3 million)

2.) Next I would build a nice big house www.archivaldesigns.com... with all the bells and whistles on 40-100 acres of land. House would come complete with indoor pool, bomb shelterwww.bomb-shelter.net... , and be totally off the grid by means of natural gas generator and wind/solar/geothermal technology. And since waterfront property is expensive I would build my own man made lake. ( -5 to 10 Million)

3.) with my remaining money I would take 20 million and have it converted in to non-money items such as bearer bond, gold, and valuable gems and hide in secure locations (aka Hidden properties I own by dummy companies that I would create). The remainder of my millions I would carefully invest in such a way where they would generate income (make your money work for YOU!) to insure I have a steady income and that I would never have to touch the initial investment and that over time my fortune would increase. At some point I would be forced to set up a trust fund to insure that future generations (aka kids and grand kids could live an easier life and just to piss of Uncle Sam and cheat him out of his death tax.

4.) After securing my fortune is doing well and will make me a nice profit each year, I would try to find a way to make use of my new found wealth. Perhaps start a non-profit foundation that helps those who need it most, or help fund some underfunded cause.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 12:02 AM
link   
I fantasize about this often.

Most recently, I'd finish up my off the grid research and get a property I actually want as opposed to one I can just afford. Id set it up with solar, wind, micro-hydro and have a standby generator with plenty of fuel. Make sure I have some ammunition and a firearm or two and do a sustainable farm.

Then once I know how to keep going, save enough for taxes for the rest of my life and save a million and invest. After that, I'd donate to some charities (but none that come with their hand out).

After that, I'd retire. Grow my knowledge base and spirituality.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Pay off my families bills and then retire somewhere out of the way with my love and spend a lifetime traveling, camping and seeing the world.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Publisher's Clearinghouse has a sweepstakes where someone will win $1million/year for the rest of their life.
Now that would be cool.
I know I would take care of my family and myself but could you imagine being able to blow like $300k knowing you're getting another mill in a month.
Tipping like $500 for a $30 dinner ticket.........awesome.
Driving around town floating $100 bills out the window like I'm leaving a trail to find my way home.
Buying the entire inventory at a sporting goods store and then tweeting come and get it to my followers.
Finding the hardest working fast food employee around and buying him a brand new Corvette.
Buy one of those over the top chopper motorcycles, park it in front of a biker bar and then smash it to bits with a sledge hammer. What are they going to do they're all a bunch of wannebe yuppie gangsters.
Maybe I'm a jerk but I could really care less about helping out the poor and needy. It seems to me the only thing they are good at is being poor and needy and I believe in letting people be themselves.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Its interesting to note the other day a woman (unnamed) in my country won first division in tattslotto. The 1st division price pool was $AUS 31 Million ... shared by 32 winners. thats about 0.96875M AUS, which converts to just over $1M USD.

now 30% (or more tax) and you are left with $700k or less.....

A pretty good sum maybe buy a building in a commercial zone and let it out for rent. But I don't think anyone can disappear or build a huge survival volt or something as some posters are saying on $700k.

Now If I won the first division single handedly, well then I would maybe open the next private space tour, whos up for a trip to mars?

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 12:16 AM
link   
I wouldn't

tell

a

soul... cept' for my wife.. period.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Don't think for a nanosecond that I haven't put a LOT of thought into this over the years!

I would hire an attorney to claim the funds on my behalf - do you really want people coming out of the woodwork looking for a handout?
I would then hire an investment attorney & even though the market is in the toilet I'd invest in land/real estate - it has to bounce back at some point.
The next step would be to set up nest eggs for my kids, pay off my parents homes, purchase a nice plot of land for myself, have a fallout shelter built & over that build my home...complete with a "trap door" giving access to the shelter from inside the house. Of course stock the shelter with non-perishables, dried goods, water, gasoline & a purification system.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by kaleshchand

You dont have to pay tax on lotto in Australia. AFAIK

If I were to win the big one, I'd put mag-wheels on a donkey, maybe paint some go-fast stripes on him as well. Then I'd drive my Donk-Stang down the local main street and put passengers on his rump to watch the 200" screen playing this song to waken them up. (Also, new socks)

(edit: - Just a warning, that video may upset religious/cult going folk)
edit on 20-1-2012 by Qumulys because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 12:29 AM
link   
I have 5 million dollars, I won the lottery for 5 million dollars!!!!!
edit on 20-1-2012 by anthonygillespie2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 12:35 AM
link   
I'd stop working for the "man" even though I make a very healthy living. i'd educate myself in glass blowing and design couture level designer lamps.

I'd buy a home in the red woods in northern California, and have another home in the tropics. no mc mansions. just sustainable developments, with exceptional audio systems. and a thriving vyvnil collection.

I might teach, I might write a book.
I might dedicate my efforts to fight our BS government.

oh, I'd have my 1966 chevelle painted a very red, red.
that and buy enough drawing paper and charcoal and lead to last a life time.

I'd also set up a bee homestead. organically.mthats about it. selfish? whatever.

AND build the sickest mid-century modern earth home on the planet. selfs sustaining' off the grid.
I would show the planet that you ca live without the BS energy companies.

yay.

edit on 1/20/2012 by zooplancton because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 12:37 AM
link   
I would invest hundreds of properties and with the continual
Growing prophits I would put towards researching the electro
Magnetic capabilities of the human heart and body. then I would become a world leader with my increasing
Funds and then start my own scientific facility with frequent
Expeditions and experiments involving outer space and inter galaxy
Transportation methods

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 01:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Komodo
I wouldn't

tell

a

soul... cept' for my wife.. period.

Young love!

(bitter old fart here!)