It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What do we have to do around here to get us a new planet?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Really, you would think that the contrays could put aside there differaznces and decide on this topic, but no! they all wanna just let it sit there, in the back o' the file, jusat collecting dust.
if all the contrays top scientists worked togheter on this, i think we could have a plan to teraform mars in like 2 years, provided that the contarys are smart enough to get translators.
who knows after that? we might have a new planet by 2020!! really, if the contarys wanted to work togeter, it would be done!!
any body agree? dsagree?

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 03:42 PM
link   
i agree with you that we could fix up mars in 2 years and create an atmosphere in 30 years or somethin, but i think we should fix up earth, and to do so get rid of oil! its just doing us harm people!

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 04:02 PM
link   
If possible, the terraforming process will take a lot more time than 15 years. You have to change the atmosphere of an entire planet. Then there's also the problem of setting up durable ecosystems and making sure that the atmosphere stay in the right equilibrium. I think we are not ready to terraform other planets yet and we probably won't be within this century.

BTW, it might be a good idea to spellcheck your posts. There are some mistakes in it that make it a bit hard to read, e.g. "contarys" = countries.

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 04:27 PM
link   
2 years / 15 years ? What are you kidding ? Even if we wanted to invest the effert in trying to taraform a planet that is TO SMALL in mass to hold its atmespher it would take hundreds of years to do with the tek leavel we have now .Pluse you would need to go out to the orita belt and get quite a few comets after air and water arenot created out of nothing.
A more relistick planet to try and teraform would be venus .
first its the right size almost the same as earth secondly it already has a atsmoshper .(mostly CO2 = 1 carbon 2 OXegan take it apart you get a realy nice atmspher . Now wile it is closer to the sun we would have no trouble getting it cool enough to live on even if the temp is higher then earth .
and the only thing we would need to do is sent a few satlights with Alge and bacteria to convert the air starting in the upper air were its cool enough.
Of corse you would have a realy weird day lasting 290 something earth dayd lol.

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 07:59 PM
link   
dAng, yur saarscasm wuz reel durn good!

>edit< I have been assessed 40 points now because of this one-liner by two different moderators.

A note to users, if you are posting as an Illiterate please advise the rest of us of your problems regarding the use of the english language, we will try to understand although your use of a computer and access to the internet should suggest at least a high school graduate level of education.

Non-native speakers can advise us that they are non-native and that is cool. If more people took the time to properly use the language instead of pounding out a reply as fast as they could then ignoring their own language errors we might take you a bit more seriously.

[edit on 14-9-2004 by Chuck Stevenson]

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 09:50 PM
link   
how bout build 10 giant rockets the largest rockets in human history. dunk each of them in the ocean filling them all with water. blast off! aim them at corrisponding locations on mars, and presto got some life forming material. now send up a rocket with some plants, trees, minerals, soil, bacteria, bugs, fish, and most importantly penguins. i choose penguins because mars is probably too cold for most any other animals and we all know penguins love the cold weather. and if its still too cold send up some extremely dense gases to create our own green house effect to trap in the heat. now bust out the telescope and watch life work its wonders.

*patiently awaiting the complete and utter anhilation of this idea*

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Wow the thought has Bombs (Rockets), simple solutions, shoting at something, occupying an area. Sounds like a Dubya kind of a plan. Truely sorry for the political thought but it was a perfect set up.

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 09:59 PM
link   
ok another thought just raced through my head. if all else fails would it be at all possible to creat a giant propolsionary device that could be used to alter the course of mars orbit or venus which ever would be the easiest. propel the planet towars earth so it will lie in a orbit more sutible for sustaining life. hopefully it doesnt lose control and smash us into oblivion. this would be an expensive undertaking and would probably take many many years to accomplish, but you never know until you try.

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 10:08 PM
link   
We are mere babies on the interstellar scale. There are millions of water bearing worlds just waiting for us to get to.

It would be easier to just travel to another star system than to move an entire planet out of its orbit. To move that amont of mass, you need either a HUGE amount of energy, or a HUGE amount of time. For what it's worth, either would be better used in an outward expansion from this system into the others nearby. it is better to colonize worlds ready for life, rather than try to terraform a dead world.

It's more fun to explore what we don't know, than to keep mounting retreads.

Arky

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Simcity4Rushour
A more relistick planet to try and teraform would be venus .

I'm assuming thats either a joke, or sarcasm.

Like Arkaleus said, I also believe that it would make more sense to find other starsystems out there that either have life or are suitable for it.

But I think we should terraform Mars, But sadly I know it wont happen in my lifetime.

I totally disagree with fiddling around with planets orbits (thats one giant that we shouldn't wake up).

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 12:21 AM
link   
we could move to different solar systems that would be great, the tech is simply not there. i am thinking here and now are only means of expansion would be to settle in our own solar system. until we find a way to travel the distant reaches of the galaxy.

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Who are these Contrays and what do they have to do with terraforming?

Even if you were clever enough to build two large mirrors above the north and south poles of Mars, and melt the polar caps. Then you invented fusion (tomorrow) to power the two massive (and I mean massive) carbon dioxide generators you also invented (to help speed along the greenhouse effect), and then even if you populated the water formed by melting the polar caps with millions of tons of algaes and planktons to create oxygen. And by some luck you also managed to get some other grasses and shrubs and trees growing to also generate oxygen - it would only take 50,000 years to terraform the planet into something almost habitable by humans.

But, sadly, all your efforts would have been in vain as you watched your atmosphere slowly leak away into space because Mars is just too darn small to hold onto it all! ARGH!

But then again, maybe those Contray folks could do it...

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 12:59 AM
link   
I think is was spelled out in a series of books by Ben Bova?

Using smaller guidance rockets attached to different types of bodies from the asteroid belt and Oort cloud it would be possible to send them into precalculated collisions with the planet mars to preform two desirable actions. 1) Provide enough energy transfer through heavy body collisions that the planet Mars culd be pushed into a 'lower' orbit closer to the sun, and 2) Drop enough material onto the surface of the planet that it's mass would grow substantially and that would eventually be enough mass to maintain an atmosphere, deepen the gravity well and provide a place to send the evergrowing human population ...

... because the ReptiAquanautics forgot about coming back to earth to harvest their crop!

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 06:36 PM
link   
But if you have something HUGE smack into mars, enough to actually move it, thats good? ITS SPACE, it will keep going in the direction you put it in until something else (earth) would stop it.

As I said before: We Should Not Mess With The Planets Orbits.

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chuck Stevenson
I think is was spelled out in a series of books by Ben Bova?

Bova was a great writer (and I'm a great fan of scifi) but the idea really isn't workable. With our current level of technology, there's no convenient way to get to the Oort Cloud within any reasonable amount of time, and locating a suitable body to move back to Mars is going to take decades and longer. And then there's the problem of trying to get enough fuel up there to allow you to wander around and push that body back to Mars.

Ellison's (and others') concepts of living in domes is far more practical.

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Its easy to say "lets terraform mars/venus!". Its virtually impossible to do.

If anyone has a realistic method, i'd love to see a layout of the budget, methods, and technology we would use. "Build a big rocket" is almost comical. This just isn't possible with current technology.

new topics

top topics

join