It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Attention: Serious concern about loss of information relating to UFO's on the Internet

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Shino

I've got:

http:///ehsKnyPM

edit to add: instead of pasting it all in to this thread. It's easier for me to keep the list up-to-date if it's somewhere I can continue to add to it.

And ... probably about 10 other domains, but I have them archived on external permanent media. I'll have to go look for those later tonight.
edit on 20-1-2012 by Xtraeme because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   
So let me get this straight...

You guys are publicly announcing which websites you have plagiarised?

Good luck with that

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon
So let me get this straight...

You guys are publicly announcing which websites you have plagiarised?

Good luck with that

Copying a website and keeping a local copy isn't plagiarising. What do you think Google's web cache consists of? Or web.archive.org for that matter.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   
True that but as you say...

Originally posted by Xtraeme
The real problem is once you have the site, if you ever plan to expose it to the net you'll need to create a couple of scripts to reformat the links. Other than that shouldn't be much of a problem.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Bookmarking for future referencing is not plagerism .

Great Idea , Shino

Have a free bump on me

S+F

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Even that's not plagiarising. It's mirroring. So long as you have the persons permission to place it online. You haven't done anything wrong. Often people lose their websites for silly reasons like failing to pay their provider because they're either sick or they get inundated with real life affairs. In many cases the person just wants a copy of their website back (you'd be surprised how many people don't do backups). So in that scenario you're providing them a free service.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Shino

Unfortunately the information will die, and be forgotten. Nobody cares. Thats why. We live in a country where we watch our government kill thousands of people on 9/11, right in front of them, then they get away with blaming somebody else. If that can happen, and it has, were all screwed, the way people look at 9/11 today, we have no chance, they can take everything away, because nobody has the balls to fight.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   

So long as you have the persons permission to place it online.

There ya go

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   
The majority of the information on said sites is in the public domain .

Carry on plagerising , folks

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

So long as you have the persons permission to place it online.

There ya go

That's just common sense.
And common decency for that matter.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Graylien: The Cosmic Jokers - High strangeness and entity encounters. It's a labour of love for the creator and beautifully laid out in 4.1 mb

CohenUFO by Jerry Cohen. It's a difficult site to navigate and yet full of original ideas and obscure elements of historical ufology. Jerry Cohen is a good guy and keeps the site going despite focusing more on his music and family.

10:15 - Jerry Cohen one of Ufology's un-sung researchers, working solo, quietly and tirelessly behind the scenes. His website is an astounding mine of real x-file info - a must-visit on-line UFO history book and debunker de-bunker site...
He was interviewed for the SDI podcasts (Errol Bruce-Knapp) at this link. Interview is a right-click away here.

UFO-Joe's Canadian X-Files is an old-school site full of good stuff at 26.3 mb

CUFOS - The J. Allen Hynek Center for UFO Studies.. This site hasn't been updated for ages and is so old-fashioned in layout that it's become fashionably retro. As pedigrees go, it's unbeatable and associated with many big names in ufology (28.4 mb)

Project1947 is another historical must-see for ufological websites.

PROJECT 1947 is a world-wide effort to document the origins of the modern UFO phenomenon. Research for the project has yielded many early-era UFO reports via the FOIA, newspaper articles and contemporary accounts. Some of the material gathered by PROJECT 1947 is on display here.

The guys involved here are international and cross over into NICAP and CUFOS. It went off-line for several weeks before returning last autumn. (55.9 mb)

Magonia Supplement for the psycho-social approach to ufology. Full of articles by Kottmeyer, Ballester-Olmos, John Rimmer and Christopher Allen (CDA for bloggers). Classic scepticism at 5.51 mb

CUFON - Computer UFO Network contains a wealth of documents, FOIAs and the divisive Pentacle Memo.

CUFON is dedicated to providing a free, 24-hour, public source of reliable, verifiable information. Since 1983, CUFON has been renowned as one of the few sources of excellent information on this phenomenon, as well as being a pioneer in the electronic media UFO information field.

We strive to present material relating to UFO phenomena and the search for UFO-related government documents obtained through official channels in a fair and accurate manner.

UFO Skeptic by Bernard Haisch. The site-name would put a lot of UFO-hounds off visiting despite it containing some excellent cases and informed commentary. It's one of the rare sites with no hyperbole, no wild speculations and definitely no BS. A tidy 1.53 mb of intelligent discourse.

The Big Study by Professor Mike Swords, It comes in as a startling 850 mb and grows with every new entry. Mike Swords is almost unheard of on ATS and yet, to my mind, is one of the brightest minds to take part in the UFO phenomena. The blog features commentary by a man who has been neck-deep in the field for decades and is almost unique in staying out of the bickering that perpetually defines the subject.

Google 'Mike Swords JSE' or 'Mike Swords UFO' and read some of the articles he's written.

There's nothing wrong with saving sites to a hard-drive for personal use, but uploading them elsewhere is a different discussion.

I've made an exception for the Living Moon website and mirrored it to a Chinese server where I live high on the hog from advertising revenue.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   
I planned on doing this independently with individual and extraordinary cases. My boyfriend and I are starting to compile "Paranormal Files", if you will. They'll include videos, photos, background info, interesting commentary (much found here - you guys are great!) and theories. I think everyone should do their part in preserving something they find interesting because as the SOPA v. Megaupload incident lets you know, nothing is guaranteed to stay and Id hate in a time of such technology, to become so reliant on it that we are left with nothing, when faced with a roadblock. If youre passionate about knowledge and discovery, take pride in it for it may pay off later down the line.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Hmmm so next year A&E can start a new show called HORDERS 2.0 - Digital Horders

LOL hmm wonder if I can find any of my old Geocites websites I made about mars...

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by TheStev

TheWayBackMachine.... good call. I use that about once a week to find information on sites that have taken something down or changes a lot.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Don't charge for the content, do not accept ads on any pages, do not use copyrighted material for promotion, do not make it a business only a hobby... and reference away, as much as possible. That should get around permissions and make it fair game. (Personal note, I am for paying not pirating material, but as long it's not a "business" copyright holders and their lawyers can't do much in the public realm... so no money making and give credit where its due).

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jason88
TheWayBackMachine.... good call. I use that about once a week to find information on sites that have taken something down or changes a lot.

Wayback Machine is great... but even if people backup all the old stuff on the internet, it will only last as long as someone pays the bill
or considers it worth spending their time on it

Now the way to do it is put all the good stuff in a book, but if you mention 'book' in regards to UFOlogy everyone screams foul play

What is needed is a non profit group to SORT all the data and pick the good stuff because 90% of the stuff posted is cloned from site to site, hoaxes, misidentified and just plain garbage. We tried once.. and I still have a lot of good stuff... but we found people got bored really fast going through endless files

Then the government started releasing declassified UFO files NSA CIA British MoD all have hundreds of reports on their official websites now...

And in the end... it all comes to nothing because not one of those reports is anything more than witness testimony

There is so much black ink etc that any REAL info has not yet been released... So all we have is stories... and people bore easily

edit on 20-1-2012 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   
IsaacKoi has a huge database of files and he posted this challenge to sort the thousands of Blue Book documents... few people volunteered

Massive UFO disclosure in USA : A challenge for ATS
www.abovetopsecret.com...

It is a monumental task... good luck

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Does "save as" save the website and all its pages deeper inside the page structure? I thought it only saves the current page. I could be wrong though, just a quick guess from my side. But I'd I'm right, there should be a program or way to save it as a whole.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Shino

My solution is to have the most important info and evidence on a few 16gb sd cards. I have a solar panel that can run my phone jndefinitely, so im not worried about electronic format.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 07:16 PM
link   
This is a great idea and I'm sure it could also be applied to many other unusual occurrences.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join