It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Popular file-sharing website Megaupload shut down

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Popular file-sharing website Megaupload shut down

www.usatoday.com

McLEAN, Va. – One of the world's most popular file-sharing sites was shuttered Thursday, and its founder and several company officials were accused of facilitating millions of illegal downloads of films, music and other content.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 19-1-2012 by elevatedone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Well it seems that the government is executing SOPA AND PIPA.

The united states will soon become the world police for the policies and laws that corporations are righting themselves with the use of lobbyist that bribe the scum that we call Govt.

I hope this is all staged and that its just to create a false feeling, that the people have a say on policies. Since, they passed the NDAA on new years, which is LAW!...So we calmly forget about what happened. And they will still censor the internet anyway.

Internet censorship is REAL!!!....

www.usatoday.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 19-1-2012 by junior2991 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Surely there is dosens of threads
by now or ?

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 07:50 PM
link   
This is old news and there are other threads on here about it......

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Couple of things.

1. Megaupload had been under investigation for two years by the FBI. They were making millions a year off of pirating, which goes against what pirating is (sharing things for free, not profiting). The FBI was right to bust them, because the execs at MU are both shady and crooked.

2. The timing of the bust is the bad part. It's absolutely perfect for the tools up on Capitol Hill. I'm sure they're going to try and use MU, which is an outlier and NOT the norm, as an example to push SOPA & PIPA to pass. It's almost as if the leader of a subcommittee with ties to the FBI told them to release it a few days before the SOPA hearing.......oh wait.

3. There's already multiple topics on this.

4. Next time, try making the topic title something other than "www.insertwebsitenamehere.com"

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Anonymous claims to have retaliated to Megauploads crack down

#OPMEGAUPLOAD

January 19, 2012 One day after many popular websites went dark to protest the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA), and the same day as a major U.S. raid on filesharing website Megaupload, various Twitter accounts claiming to represent the "hacktivist" group Anonymous have taken credit for bringing down several websites, including UniversalMusic.com and Justice.gov - the site of the U.S. Department of Justice - in an action they're calling #OPMEGAUPLOAD. At about 6:30 pm, Twitter user @AnonDaily tweeted "Take Down Any Website, Any Owner, in No Time Flat! #Anonymous". Another apparently Anonymous-related Twitter account, @YourAnonNews, Tweeted this at 7 pm: "Good thing it's National Popcorn Day, everyone grab some and sit tight. "The Internet Strikes Back" is showing all night long! #megaupload", and earlier brought SOPA into the conversation: "Let's just say, for #SOPA supporters their #SOPAblackout is today. #Anonymous." A DoJ spokesperson told CNN "we are having website problems, but we're not sure what it's from". An Anonymous operative named Barrett Brown reportedly told British website RT.com that the DoJ's site was pulled down "in retaliation for Megaupload". Another website that appears to be affected at press time is the Recording Industry Association of America. Today's crackdown on Megaupload included four arrests in New Zealand and at least 20 search warrants being served across the globe. Co-founders Kim Dotcom (formerly Kim Schmitz) and Mathias Ortmann were arrested in Auckland along with two other employees and charged under piracy laws. Gawker has a different take on the #OPMEGAUPLOAD situation - writer Adrian Chen states that by clicking on certain links distributed by Anonymous, internet users may be inadvertantly aiding the hackers' attacks. You can read his story here.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   
I am going to draw a reference from fiction here

Metal Gear Solid 2 talked about a way of "filtering" or "censoring" the net as free information is being passed along. To think the FBI, CIA, NSA have algorithms to search for key words on the net and deny them from being passed on to the masses DO NOT EXIST is ignorant and stupid and naive.

For example how many cells is there in the human body? 6 billion billion billion how do YOU know have you counted them yourself? Has anyone counted them?

But do I have anything to hide? No I don't.

Yes I have looked up how to make bombs, does that mean I am going to use them to harm anyone? No I would not. Hasn't every teenage boy with an internet connection done that? Probably.

Have the police been at my door? No, have the SAS captured me? No

I am kinda drunk and dont know where I am going here but you get the idea.

Anyway I hope they dont do this, they cant...can they?

Do they think people dont know how to use proxies?

How can all these algorithms work to constantly monitor internet content?

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Please add any comments to the existing thread found here...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thread closed.

top topics

join