It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Solar blast heading our way

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   

This is not a Doom & Gloom thread...

Active sunspot 1401 erupted today, Jan. 19th, between 15:15 and 16:30 UT. The long-duration blast produced an M3-class solar flare and a CME that appears to be heading toward Earth.

This could be awesome and a bit of a problem at the same time... albeit small.
I can't wait to see a light show.

The sun has unleashed a blast in Earth's direction, and that should cause brighter-than-normal auroral displays this weekend. Skywatchers won't be the only ones monitoring the storm: The folks in charge of power grids and orbiting satellites will also be on guard to make sure the disturbance in the (geomagnetic) force won't be disruptive.

Word of today's blast, technically known as a coronal mass ejection or CME, comes via SpaceWeather.com's Tony Phillips. NASA says the outburst sparked an M3.2-class solar flare, as well as a stream of electrically charged particles that is due to interact with Earth's magnetic field on Saturday. "Viewers can be on the lookout for increased aurora," NASA says.

Link to Original Source

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 07:16 PM
link   
this was already posted hours ago, please use search bar and give credit to original thread . www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroUnlmtd
this was already posted hours ago, please use search bar and give credit to original thread . www.abovetopsecret.com...

I used the search terms: "Solar blast heading our way" and "CME"

It didn't come up. I didn't realize the thread was open. My apologies. Mods, please close the thread if necessary.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by freakjive

Originally posted by ZeroUnlmtd

I used the search terms: "Solar blast heading our way" and "CME"

It didn't come up. I didn't realize the thread was open. My apologies. Mods, please close the thread if necessary.

happens to me all the time, search bar could be better in my opinion

top topics

join