It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anonymous takes down government, recording industry websites in retaliation for bust

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by LongbottomLeaf

lol we all know the guys at the top don;t lose money, they just shift the loss down the line until it reaches you. Poop rolls downhill. In any case, it's the principle of the thing, if you don't think it's worth paying for don't take it at all.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 10:02 PM
link   
I find it interesting that anonymous can screw with the government so badly but when it comes to Los Zetas they so easily bluster then back down.

Los Zetas has the ability to find people, torture , and kill them (after killing their families) and are not people to be messed with. The federal government has done through the CIA the same thing on a more international scale and with greater resources. I am wondering why anonymous is still around.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vikus
I find it interesting that anonymous can screw with the government so badly but when it comes to Los Zetas they so easily bluster then back down.

Los Zetas has the ability to find people, torture , and kill them (after killing their families) and are not people to be messed with. The federal government has done through the CIA the same thing on a more international scale and with greater resources. I am wondering why anonymous is still around.

uh...maybe because one has nothing to do with the other?

(as the thread is quickly reclaimed from derailment)

Peace

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Gigatronix

So Gig, have you ever purchased a movie and invited your friends over to watch it, even on only one occasion? Lent someone the DVD? Are you old enough to remember cassette tapes? Ever make a mix tape for someone? Mix CD? Or have you instead purchased your media and enjoyed it alone, always?

I think that cam bootlegs and just released music are the same as lifting property from a store, but old and or unavailable content? Shows the BBC makes America wait for even-though one will buy the box set eventually anyway? Shows whose air date was missed and even-though one pays Comcast a redunkulus amt. each month for "On Demand", many show will not be available until the next episode airs? Most of the people I know will still buy the DVD if it's a good movie/show for the extra content alone as well as to be able to add it to their collection.

You really shouldn't make it a habit to speak in absolutes, they can bite.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Gigatronix

Once again not my problem. I'm tired of corporations, I'm doing my part to keep money out of peoples hands

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Here's another take on why a lot of people choose to download content "illegally".

Say, for example, you're into music and/or movies from another country. The availability of such material is obviously an issue. Personally, I enjoy listening to music from Asia, and I also enjoy watching movies and TV series from Asia and Europe.

Yes, I am able to find CDs of specific artists/bands I like in Chinatown. However, because they are original and imported, they often cost twice (sometimes even triple) the price of a "regular" CD in K-Mart. I've even seen one of my favourite Japanese artist's SINGLES selling for AU$49, which is ridiculously out of my budget - I'd rather stock up on a few grocery items instead. Yes, I could go the "purchase online" route but, with the additional P&H and shipping costs, it hardly seems worth it.

The same goes for DVDs. If it weren't for the Internet, I wouldn't be able to watch some of my favourite movies and TV series AT ALL. They simply aren't available where I live. I'm more than willing to pay for an international movie that has been properly licensed in my country. In fact, a huge part of my DVD collection consists of licensed movies. However, what about the movies and TV series that haven't been licensed?

If you've ever purchased an original DVD from another country, you'll understand where I'm coming from with the following. Buying them in their original form simply isn't worth it (unless you are fluent in whatever language you are viewing) due to the lack of English subtitles or the presence of English subtitles that seem to have been put together by a 2-year-old, which can easily turn an enjoyable experience into a "WTH is going on?". Downloading such content from a reliable online source removes said issues thanks to the efforts of the many independent subtitling groups out there.

So, in conclusion, I do understand where these guys are coming from. But, having said that, they don't seem to understand (or even care) where some of us are coming from.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by satoriku

Here's the thing. Yes I've made my share of mix cds and mix tapes and lent my dvds to friends. Ya got me, I'm a pirate. But to be honest with you, I don't think this is the type of piracy they are concerned with. I think they are more concerned with 1 person getting a leaked album, putting it on the internet where theoretically unlimited amounts of copies can be made, and distributed to anyone anywhere in the world. My lending my Gears of War 3 to a buddy might cost them 1 sale,but it also might get them a sale, since eventually I want my game back and if they wanna keep playing it they got to get their own. But me pirating the game and and seeding it through Pirate Bay is almost assuredly more exponentially damaging, because they are more likely to lose a sale than gain one. Who is gonna go buy a legit copy when they have the exact same thing in their possession already? Some people might, but I am pretty confident that the majority of file sharers are just gobbling up whatever they wnat because they can., not because they want to try it before they buy. Just my opinion though.

IN summary, me bad pirate, sharing a few select physical things with my friends that they have to give back and can't really copy themselves, and honestly this doesn't happen very often(mostly because I like music nobody else likes and I mostly play WoW and don't own very many dvds)

Pirate Bay Pirate worse, sharing everything with everybody as many times as a person can click, which then feeds more pirates and so on and so on.

But yeah, I'm a hypocrite so I will be exiting this conversation.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 01:06 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

"(as the thread is quickly reclaimed from derailment) "
This was great!

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 04:38 AM
link   
Anybody who thinks the recording and movie industries are protecting people like make-up artists and producers is deluded:
pie chart showing relative payments to people in recording industry

the record company could cut prices in half and take that loss from its own profit without changing payments to studio/manage/producer, and they would still be getting double the % any of those other players get.

Also, stealing is the act of taking something from another so that the thief now has the item and the original owner does not. Repeatedly calling copyright infringement 'stealing' is an embarassment and sounds like you drank the 'copyright infringement is theft' kool-aid. If copyright infringement was theft they would have used the theft laws and not had to have created a new law for copyright infringement.

Even my friend who is a music producer has finally caved in and admitted that the industry business model is a scam.

...and I can't believe people still don't understand what anonymous is, saying things like 'anonymous haven't claimed this on their web page'. I could do something in the name of anonymous if I wanted to, so could anybody reading this, that's the whole point!

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 05:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gigatronix
reply to post by LongbottomLeaf

If you are not willing to pay to see it, then why should you get to see it? That's how things work, people spend money to create things, with the assumption that their product will be appealing enough to enough people that they can recoup their costs and make enough money beyond that to fund the creation of more things. If you have enough people just taking it, then not only is their no incentive to continue creating, their is no capital to create anything if they wanted to.

This kind of single minded egocentric mindset will soon be a thing of the past. What people with this mindset fail to realize, is that there is a bigger picture. There are currently far to many creative minds in the world preoccupied by mindless media production, marketing, jurisdiction, delivery, and consumption. There is already enough music, games, movies and media produced in the world to keep every human being that will ever be born sedated from cradle to grave by it´s content. We simply do not NEED such a large focus in such an industry anymore.

We need to shift our focus, people need to care more about what really matters, physical products like food and houses, infrastructure and hardware, all need to have greater weight. We also need a bigger focus in progressive areas like science, space exploration and colonization, further exploration of the deep seas and the antarctic, even the metaphysical, perhaps.

We need to evolve as a species. The internet is only a natural step of our evolution. It is our own collective "immune" system, if you will, reacting to an affliction we may not even realize is affecting us. We need the internet to inform us and to help battle the various kinds of detrimental relics of the old world currently affecting us, such as the sedation techniques used by the government and media industries manifesting themselves in ways such as exorbitant amounts of sedative media output, the water flouridation act, corruption in government due to excessive lobbyist funding, and various others, that are all inhibiting our progress..

We need to realize we are all one, and that we need a healthy balance in our energy distribution for the future. Our survival depends on it. That balance is currently upset by the million dollar wages awarded to producers of non-essential content, intangible objects, that only sap our energy and serve to sedate us in the long run.

Internet is here to restore that balance, to destroy this parasite, and set us free.

Fighting evolution with laws is doomed to fail.
edit on 20-1-2012 by NeoVain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 05:47 AM
link   
When I was a kid I was thought sharing is caring. Apparently man people on this website weren't taught this and are worse off not knowing it.

It's a sad day when giving something to someone who wants it is a bad thing and is villainized in the press. It's an even worse day when fools go along with it because they've been brainwashed.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 06:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by michael1983l
The government are tackling Piracy in completely the wrong way. What they should be doing is looking at why people illigally download material and what the industry could do to stop it happening. Obviously the answer is easy but it will mean not as much profit which is why the government will never do this. To stop people copying content, make it available at a fair price that everybody can afford and get with the times and release it to internet at the same time as the Cinemas. If people want to watch it in a cinema they are free to do so but stopping people watching it at home on release only makes them download.

If a film was say $1.99 for a streamed watch then I am sure that most piraters would opt to pay as it wouldn't be worth the hassel for that price.

The industry needs to evolve with the modern age and stop thinking it can live in the past and prosecute anybody that does not choose to live in the past with them.

i 100% agree with you.

the problem is the people who make the decisions have got so greedy that they can't see that they'd make more cash doing it at a reasonable and fair price, and in the right way.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Please post your comments in the original thread located Here

Closing Duplicate

Thank you

Semper

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join