It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anonymous takes down government, recording industry websites in retaliation for bust

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by michael1983l
reply to post by Gigatronix

That is not true at all, people download stuff because they can't get to the cinema due to having kids or whatever. Or the fact that a Blu-ray costs around £18 here in the UK which equates to about 20 pence a minute for a film which is just ridiculous. I would never, ever pirate material if it was not release restricted and it was at a fair price. I also happen to know most people I talk to this about agree with me. Whats the point in getting something illigally that will only cost you pennys to own with the bonefide content and packaging?
Soo, it's ok to steal something because your personal circumstances prevent you from going to the movies? It's ok to steal something because you don;t agree with the price? You just said the price was ridiculous, then turned around and said whats the point in stealing it if its only costs pennies to own it legit?

Thanks for the laugh

edit on 19-1-2012 by Gigatronix because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by camaro68ss
reply to post by jude11

Their on a rampage right now. It’s fun to watch! lol

It certainly is!
Does anyone know if these DDOS errors happen naturally. That is to say, would a site like the FBI's website ever go down due to a legitimate interest in their website?

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by baddmove
Must have been another group..

anonymousmedia.org...

not a word on the Anon page.....

thoughts?

Wondering that as well. But who knows? Maybe they're too busy?

A few other upload sites have gone down as well I see. Over on the other thread from Boncho:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Curious day indeed.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   

edit on 19-1-2012 by MaKaElectric because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 07:14 PM
link   

They aren't losing money, If I'm not willing to pay to see it...I'm not willing to pay to see it. So they wouldn't have gotten me to pay for the ticket in the first place.

link   

The only people stealing are the production companies making 1000s of percent profit on each DVD they sell. If they want to be a cartel and hold the people to randsome, it is only their own fault when people tell them no and take it anyway. If the water companies started charging you $1000 per ounce of water, would you just keel obver and die because you couldn't afford it or would you take it anyway and not pay? the movie industry does nothing different to that scenario.

link   

Originally posted by xavi1000
www.fbi.gov... is down

WOW!

Are we sure it's ANON?

If it is, I just got a little....

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   
@TheJusticeDept

"The department is working to ensure the website is available while we investigate the origins of this activity..."

twitter.com...

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 07:16 PM
link   
FBI site down?

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by LongbottomLeaf
FBI site down?

I tried to visited the site but got an error message. Id say its down.

edit on 19-1-2012 by Salamandy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Salamandy

Denial of service can happen naturally, like in the case of Ticketmaster and other sites just by natural demand of its customer base. However targeted DDoS is bourne by a set of nodes spread over multiple IPs and geographic regions all ask set addresses for information at one time causing the Firewall to not be able to respond to the requests due to it swamping. DDoS are usually started by malware in peoples PCs spread in various ways or accepted by the user knowingly which is sent instructions by the originating programme writer.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by LongbottomLeaf

If you are not willing to pay to see it, then why should you get to see it? That's how things work, people spend money to create things, with the assumption that their product will be appealing enough to enough people that they can recoup their costs and make enough money beyond that to fund the creation of more things. If you have enough people just taking it, then not only is their no incentive to continue creating, their is no capital to create anything if they wanted to.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gigatronix
reply to post by michael1983l

People download pirated material because they don;t want to pay for it, or can't. IN either case it's not a valid reason, and there is nothing the government can do about that. If you can't afford a movie, music, program, then you don't get to have it. Save your money, work harder, sacrifice.

Have to agree with you. However, I would like to add that some companies use the piracy angle as a means of justifying price increases. In essence a fear tactic. In some cases companies have been successful at thwarting mainstream pirates yet the alleged cost savings were never passed onto consumers, in fact they increased.

Also to add I feel that companies also have a responsibility to protect their merchandise. If I walk into a store there are counter measures in place to prevent me from walking out of said store without paying for their merchandise. These companies make billions easily selling their wares so perhaps they need to invest billions in protecting it as well.

brill
edit on 19-1-2012 by brill because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 07:20 PM
link   
great anonymouse just handed the government the perfect excuse to clamp down
maybe we should call them falseflagamouse

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by michael1983l

Thanks. Ive actually been on ticketmster when it went down so I see your point. I would imagine normally a drab, depressing site like the FBI site would not generate enough flow to shut it down genuinely.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Trust me by the time its in theaters money has exchanged hands. The industry doesn't lose a penny.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Reply to post by Gigatronix

This right here is the problem in a nutshell. Businesses are supposed to change to beat out the competition. This is not entirely about piracy. Instead of changing with the times these corporations want to crack down on the net. I mean at one point the music industry hated casette tapes and then mp3 players until they realized they could exploit it. If you provide a better service than the pirates you have nothing to worry about....why do you think Netflixs is so big??

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

link   

but I am willing to pay to see it, only I am only willing to pay a reasonable price to see it and not be profiteered from as the movies is essentially a monopoly. There is no competition in the movie industry, it is just a case if it is a crap film or one worth watching, of which you don't find out until after you have paid. All movie makers release stuff to the cinemas at the same price.

It is a cartel and the whole industry should be revamped.

link   
reply to post by Danbones

Dont you see right now the government cannot fight the internet. This is only about downloading wait till people are really pissed.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 07:23 PM
link   
do people really believe this is just about piracy?
if you do i suggest maybe wake up a bit
piracy is the first stage of the plan to censor the net
if they put there plan into action do you think this sites gonna exist anymore?
think again
it means the powers the be can pick and choose what you see and dont see on the web

is that what people want?

edit on 19-1-2012 by UkRandom because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join