It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anonymous takes down government, recording industry websites in retaliation for bust

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Anonymous takes down government, recording industry websites in retaliation for bust

www.mercurynews.com

Anonymous says it is in the process of staging its "largest attack ever" -- more than 5,000 loosely associated hackers taking down websites belonging to government and recording industry organizations in response to Thursday's shutdown of the file-sharing site Megaupload.com.

The Department of Justice unsealed an indictment against Megaupload.com on Thursday, arresting its founder -- Kim Dotcom, formerly known as Kim Schmitz -- in New Zealand and charging her and at least five other company exe
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 19-1-2012 by jude11 because: Trying to fix the title!

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Looks like the Internet war is on!

Anon is fighting back and doing it hard. Many have said that they wouldn't or couldn't. Looks like they can and will.

In response to the US demanding that megaupload.com be taken down and launching piracy charges against the founder, Anon is making it their duty to fight back.

And right they should! How the hell can the US tell NZ to just do as they say? What kind of message is it? It's a message that the US has finally shown their hand in what they believe is their domain. And that is, the entire Globe.

For those that missed the thread by Boncho on who shot first...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Go ANON!

www.mercurynews.com

edit on 19-1-2012 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   
The most effective way to fight back would be to expose the creators and proponents of "censorship" legislation. Show how they steal something that isnt theirs, expose their personal hypocrisy, bring to light documents/conversations/ evidence of a sinister plot. Hacking into privately owned websites and government websites is childish and counter productive, you're just making it worse.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Anyone else fear this will spark more anger against all websites infringing copyright? And will give SOPA an active reason to enforce these shutdowns as much as they please?
On the other hand though, i am all in favour of a free internet, and i am 100% against SOPA and PIPA, afterall, the internet is the biggest and most elaborate thing of our time and quite frankly, it would cripple us all if we lost it.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

I agree. The U.S. has no jurisdiction in another country. If this government keeps pissing people off the next World War is going to take place on U.S. soil. I don't know who the hell my country's government thinks they are. This is just not right. More and more everyday i'm feeling like i woke up in the twilight zone.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by sPNZaH
Anyone else fear this will spark more anger against all websites infringing copyright? And will give SOPA an active reason to enforce these shutdowns as much as they please?
On the other hand though, i am all in favour of a free internet, and i am 100% against SOPA and PIPA, afterall, the internet is the biggest and most elaborate thing of our time and quite frankly, it would cripple us all if we lost it.

This is exactly how the US works tho. Poke the bear until the bear bites. Then shoot the bear.

We've seen it used all over the World and now they are using it on us.

It ain't gonna be pretty.

Peace

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 06:37 PM
link   
search button is there for a reason. this is like the third thread about this

here
and here

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 06:37 PM
link   
This is the POTUS playing both sides, yet again. He says he won't sign SOPA to pander to us, then demands raids to cater to the SOPA supporters.

Of course the sheep here will say ANON was wrong; they would rather go along, to get along. Thank God not everyone shares your acquiesce.

The industry has Congress in their pocket for Christ's sake! What do you suggest they do? Quit being a pawn for Rupert Murdoch and think for yourself.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Summed it up in one. Its a shame the way something that has taken so long to build, can be torn apart at the click of a finger - Im not saying it has been torn apart just from Megaupload being taken down - but more as to the internet being torn apart in the near future.

edit on 19-1-2012 by sPNZaH because: Grammar mistake

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by stuncrazy
search button is there for a reason. this is like the third thread about this

here
and here

Amazing that the search has an actual purpose. Gee thanks.

Did the search on the exact title and no result...

Mods can take it down if need be.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Must have been another group..

anonymousmedia.org...

not a word on the Anon page.....

thoughts?

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by baddmove

Im sure it was headed by Anon, all the news websites are reporting Anonymous as the group that has carried out the attacks. I also saw somewhere that they confessed (im not sure if confessed is the word) on Twitter

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   
The government are tackling Piracy in completely the wrong way. What they should be doing is looking at why people illigally download material and what the industry could do to stop it happening. Obviously the answer is easy but it will mean not as much profit which is why the government will never do this. To stop people copying content, make it available at a fair price that everybody can afford and get with the times and release it to internet at the same time as the Cinemas. If people want to watch it in a cinema they are free to do so but stopping people watching it at home on release only makes them download.

If a film was say $1.99 for a streamed watch then I am sure that most piraters would opt to pay as it wouldn't be worth the hassel for that price.

The industry needs to evolve with the modern age and stop thinking it can live in the past and prosecute anybody that does not choose to live in the past with them.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11

Looks like the Internet war is on!

Anon is fighting back and doing it hard. Many have said that they wouldn't or couldn't. Looks like they can and will.

In response to the US demanding that megaupload.com be taken down and launching piracy charges against the founder, Anon is making it their duty to fight back.

And right they should! How the hell can the US tell NZ to just do as they say? What kind of message is it? It's a message that the US has finally shown their hand in what they believe is their domain. And that is, the entire Globe.

For those that missed the thread by Boncho on who shot first...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Go ANON!

www.mercurynews.com

edit on 19-1-2012 by jude11 because: (no reason given)
Do you really think NZ authorities just handed people over because the US said so? Or is it more likely that the US went through the proper international legal channels to make its case, and NZ officials agreed with the intent and acted accordingly?

I think we should refrain from getting our panties in a bunch until the specifics of how this unfolded come to light.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by michael1983l

People download pirated material because they don;t want to pay for it, or can't. IN either case it's not a valid reason, and there is nothing the government can do about that. If you can't afford a movie, music, program, then you don't get to have it. Save your money, work harder, sacrifice.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   
www.fbi.gov... is down

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Gigatronix

That is not true at all, people download stuff because they can't get to the cinema due to having kids or whatever. Or the fact that a Blu-ray costs around £18 here in the UK which equates to about 20 pence a minute for a film which is just ridiculous. I would never, ever pirate material if it was not release restricted and it was at a fair price. I also happen to know most people I talk to this about agree with me. Whats the point in getting something illigally that will only cost you pennys to own with the bonefide content and packaging?

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Their on a rampage right now. It’s fun to watch! lol

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   
They made a video

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   
......Thats all I have to say about that

new topics

top topics